Mondie

Mondie's speaker endgame: Lenard Audio 4-way active, high efficiency horn system development

This all takes me back to my experiments - but I never attempted the aesthetic efforts that you have gone to. Nice workmanship.

The issue I had, even back then, was sourcing TAD drive units (I used TD-4003 but had to get the TH-4003 fabricated.) Only friends with "contacts" in Japan could really get a supply approaching timely. 

Hope you enjoy the end result. I'm sure you will.

fullsizeoutput_2afe.jpeg

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Tune said:

This all takes me back to my experiments - but I never attempted the aesthetic efforts that you have gone to. Nice workmanship.

The issue I had, even back then, was sourcing TAD drive units (I used TD-4003 but had to get the TH-4003 fabricated.) Only friends with "contacts" in Japan could really get a supply approaching timely. 

Hope you enjoy the end result. I'm sure you will.

fullsizeoutput_2afe.jpeg

Wow...those look real lovely sir. Right out of a star wars flick :)

• Like 1

Michael,

I was in contact with you around 2007/08 when I was putting together a 2-way passive TAD based system and living in Australia at the time you were deep in your 4003 based system. The end result of my dalliance at that time showed great promise in some areas but was ultimately unsatisfying as the bass was honky at certain fqs and the top end disappointing. I lacked the skill, knowledge or the willingness to pump a lot more ££ into the project and moved onto ADAM Alphas knowing there was unfinished business. Now I am in the hands of a true, proven electro-acoustics expert and the result is staggering, the Symphony has the heart of what I saw hinted at with my attempts a decade ago but with real bass, sweet top end and proper driver integration. These will be the speakers I am buried in when I shuffle off to the worm farm; in 35 years of progression, and sometimes regression in this hobby, I have found my true endgame speaker.

Cheers

Edited by Mondie
  • Like 3

I thought I recognised the name! Apologies, I got a brain injury since so have "memory issues" - particularly when the wife is talking...

I, like you, ultimately found that there is no substitute for experience and talent so ended up with my own endgame speaker. I would have loved to have been able to get some original TAD/Exclusive  2404 which was the design I tried to mimic after hearing a pair in Tokyo many moons ago.

Even though I was using pretty much an identical crossover topology when passive, and also experimenting with the 3 way active option, I still just could not get them to display the magic touch of the originals.

The wait will be well worth it - I'm sure of that!

• Like 2

No apologies needed, it was a decade ago and that's a long time even without the memory issues you are dealing with! The passive system I was cobbling together at the time used clones of the 2404 crossover but was still heavily constrained by being a 2 way. An active based 4-way system with isobaric bass is from a different universe, having the mastery of Jon Burnett's 50 years of skill & experience designing the cabinet, crossover and tuning elevates the end result to otherworldly. I could spend a lifetime fiddling and not get close.

Cheers

Edited by Mondie
  • Like 1

Not to mean to derail this thread. I know 2 way, 2.5 way and 3 way speakers. What are 4 way speakers please. Does the addition of sub or a super tweeter make them 4 way. Thanks 

16 minutes ago, newlash09 said:

Not to mean to derail this thread. I know 2 way, 2.5 way and 3 way speakers. What are 4 way speakers please. Does the addition of sub or a super tweeter make them 4 way. Thanks 

It's best if you go to the source:

http://education.lenardaudio.com/en/06_x-over.html

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tuga said:

It's best if you go to the source:

http://education.lenardaudio.com/en/06_x-over.html

Thanks sir...just read and well understood. Probably a sub covering below 100 Hz makes it a 4 way system if Iam right. Anyways...I will go quiet for now. Really don't want to derail this beautiful thread. I love the way these active speakers look, and as per Mr.Mondie also sound. Iam keeping myself peeled here to see what they look and sound like finally.

• Like 1

There's no sub, an internal Isobaric chamber running two 12" drivers covers fqs below 80hz. You can make it out in the CAD drawing I posted in the first post in this thread.,

Cheers

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Mondie said:

There's no sub, an internal Isobaric chamber running two 12" drivers covers fqs below 80hz. You can make it out in the CAD drawing I posted in the first post in this thread.,

Cheers

Wow...that sounds great sir. Two 12" inch subs in a isobaric chamber :)

I can only imagine what the bass must be like. Looks like a killer speaker in the making. Can't wait to hear what it sounds like. Iam a big bass head...So that 12" configuration is enough to get me all wet :D

• Like 1

Super Wammer

I thought getting 'wet' was a occupational hazard for you newlash 🤣

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, newlash09 said:

Wow...that sounds great sir. Two 12" inch subs in a isobaric chamber :)

I can only imagine what the bass must be like. Looks like a killer speaker in the making. Can't wait to hear what it sounds like. Iam a big bass head...So that 12" configuration is enough to get me all wet :D

Its the 15" mid bass that really defines the bass performance. The twin 12's ensure the fqs below the cutoff to the 15" are full and present but a 15" mid bass is a beautiful thing :x The bass is truly lifelike and visceral in a way that few who have heard big cones driven properly would know. Small drivers doing bass regardless of whether active, DSP, room corrected or whatever is just a facsimile of the real thing.

Edited by Mondie
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Mondie said:

Its the 15" mid bass that really defines the bass performance. The twin 12's ensure the fqs below the cutoff to the 15" are full and present but a 15" mid bass is a beautiful thing :x The bass is truly lifelike and visceral in a way that few who have heard big cones driven properly would know. Small drivers doing bass regardless of whether active, DSP, room corrected or whatever is just a facsimile of the real thing.

Iam totally dumbstruck :D

The bass seems to be beyond my plains of imagination. My pmc 20.26 go down to 25hz in my room. But they are only a 7 inch driver in a TL enclosure. And I haven't yet heard any speaker better them in bass speed and depth. And I've heard quiet some speakers. Some of them very high end too. So despite not being happy with my pmc's mid range, Iam still stuck with them, as I can't find a speakers that does the same bass, but adds more mid range to it. So this is where Iam coming from  sir :)

And your speakers seem to be the first hope to get my bass fix right. But I sadly don't seem to be able to afford them at the moment too. So here iam cheering you all the way :)

And did I mention I really can't wait to read about their listening experience. So all the best to you sir...and fondly hoping a quick delivery does take place, followed by a post of your listening experiences too :)

• Like 1

These only do bass to 25Hz too. It is not about the ultimate fq but achieving an even energy response, something that isn't shown in any fq graph hence the myriad of graphs of small drivers with low bass response. That's where large cones win because the bass is fully developed and effortless. The bass is actually at one with the music, its not a feature as such as many bass heads like to think of it. Once you have heard it you will go 'aaaaahhhhhhhh......!'

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1