Mondie

Mondie's speaker endgame: Lenard Audio 4-way active, high efficiency horn system development

Thanks, Joolz, once you hear a full range system which is as dynamic as it is totally smooth, but with incredible resolution, there is no turning back! I knew more than a decade ago that I had heard something in my previous TAD experiments that had to be revisited when the time was right; this opportunity with Lenard has taken things way past my wildest dreams.

Cheers!

Hi Simon,

Spent some time looking at the Lenard Audio website - looking at the power amps specs for the Sarabande speakers - are you going for the same ?

Also size of cabinet - are you going for this size out of neccessity or WAF - any reason not to go larger ?

kind regards,

J

Hi Joolz,

The cabinet size is based on the requirements for the 12" drivers running in 4th order bandpass. It is pretty hefty at 1350mm tall and around 500mm wide.  Amps will likely be similar to those in Sarabande but amps are not that critical in such a highly efficient active system such as this.

Cheers

Paul & John are closing in on completion of the first early production pair of Symphonies 18mths after we kicked this project off. Time has certainly got away from us due to several factors, the most significant being the time taken to finalise design decisions and then try and find suppliers who can meet the required engineering and quality expectations. This is not an insubstantial problem in Oz where traditional trade skills are now a scarce commodity! The good news is that the extra time has allowed additional experimental testing to fully resolve all aspects of the design where a small gain may have been possible.  I am just back from a trip to Oz where I have been reminded again of the staggering performance an active hybrid 4-way horn system is truly capable of. It is not long now until my pair will finally be on the water to the UK. I cannot wait!

Here's a pic of an early production ready pair dummied up with drivers fitted to show the final look. There has been much discussion over the horn colour, should it remain black and stealthy or would it look better painted, perhaps in deep gunmetal grey or very dark metallic green? 

Interested to hear others comments and suggestions, nailing the aesthetics has been quite a challenge.

48034857242_29057e264e_b.jpgIMG-20190606-WA0008 by Simon Gee, on Flickr

• Like 1

Super Wammer

Divine 

I would be very careful about straying away from safe colours like black and grey if you have any desire to do demonstrations , corporate events, or record days with them.

This advice was given me sometime ago when my own 5 way active horn system was in an early stage of development. The horns were then in plain wood and could have been varnished, stained or painted. I was on Speakerplans Forum then as well as the Wam, gleaning knowledge as that's a pro audio forum. The person who gave me the advice was a PA speaker designer and manufacturer who used to do gigs and demos with his speaker systems. The corporate boys dont want to know about coloured speakers.

Unfortunately, these people still want speakers to 'disappear'.

As my folded horn subs were already black I opted for black for the straight conicals.

Keep going Mondie - when you get these to Keggie Im  coming!

Jack NSM

• Like 1

Thanks for the thoughtful reply Jack. Interesting comments from those in the know, I would like to do demos etc so that's sage advice. perhaps a very dark grey metallic is about as far as I should consider on the horn? I have a slight concern that at the moment we have various black finishes on different materials hence why a splash of colour may help in reducing this being noticeable if it is at all. It's perhaps not shown clearly in the pic but the speaker is wrapped in polished steel giving a mirror finish that helps them disappear brilliantly.

These will be at Keggie next year for sure, I have promised to have them there the last two years but time gets away!

Cheers

One man's 'splash of colour' is another man's go faster stripe..

Dark grey metallic sounds great.

I hasten to add none of US want them to disappear.! :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, Mondie said:

Paul & John are closing in on completion of the first early production pair of Symphonies 18mths after we kicked this project off. Time has certainly got away from us due to several factors, the most significant being the time taken to finalise design decisions and then try and find suppliers who can meet the required engineering and quality expectations. This is not an insubstantial problem in Oz where traditional trade skills are now a scarce commodity! The good news is that the extra time has allowed additional experimental testing to fully resolve all aspects of the design where a small gain may have been possible.  I am just back from a trip to Oz where I have been reminded again of the staggering performance an active hybrid 4-way horn system is truly capable of. It is not long now until my pair will finally be on the water to the UK. I cannot wait!

Here's a pic of an early production ready pair dummied up with drivers fitted to show the final look. There has been much discussion over the horn colour, should it remain black and stealthy or would it look better painted, perhaps in deep gunmetal grey or very dark metallic green? 

Interested to hear others comments and suggestions, nailing the aesthetics has been quite a challenge.

48034857242_29057e264e_b.jpgIMG-20190606-WA0008 by Simon Gee, on Flickr

Looks absolutely divine sir :)

That steel wrap is looking beautiful. I wouldn't change anything here. But perhaps it's just me wanting to add a dash of chrome here and there to liven it up a little more. Perhaps just the horn can be finished with a chrome wrap to make it stand out . As much as black is the preferred colour to keep a system inconspicuous.  I do have a preference for visually appealing speakers to stand out as being special , as these absolutely are. And that begs that they look different from the norm, when they sound different. Just my 2 cents :)

• Like 1

Hi Simon,

These are looking lovely, 'chrome' finish is very appealing, i agree with Jack on the grey finish for the horns.

Looking forward to hearing these....

• Like 1

A chrome wrapped horn, that's an interesting idea Newlash! Will discuss that with Paul and see what his take is.

Is anybody good on Photoshop, my imagination is weak, an image with a dark grey metallic horn or a chrome horn would be interesting to see.

Cheers

• Like 1

Simon, will this design subsequently be available to order from Paul and John? Just asking on behalf of a friend :whistle:

Yes, it will be lostwin, my commitment to this project was based on the Symphony concept that John had sketched out a few years ago. The reason it has taken about two years from when I first committed to arrive at this point is that John & Paul had a bunch of engineering and empirical testing work to do to fully resolve the design. Furthermore,  a lot of time has gone into working with potential suppliers to get the fit and finish to a high level. Design and prototyping are a massive time sinkhole and its hard to really circumvent this.

In the future I would be happy to demo to interested people, these speakers are truly an endgame loudspeaker that will reset many seasoned audio enthusiasts idea of what is possible in home audio.

Cheers

• Like 2

So when are you expecting to have these beauties up and running ?

I expect they will be set up in my listening room by November, perhaps a little earlier, but after two years I am not getting ahead of myself.:$

• Like 4