Pmcman

Obese Men in UK

Recommended Posts

I've been reading 67 percent of British men are overweight or obese and when you compare that to the Italians and French, we are a country of slobs and layabouts. Loads of diabetes etc.

Chances are if im posting this, over 2/3rds of people reading it are overweight too. Is this a problem for you, don't you care, and what are you doing about it.

I got to the stage where I was in the overweight catergory but I've been running and walking and got myself down to the correct weight within my BMI. I feel better for it and want to loose loads more. Stopped drinking alcohol too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer

I am watching my weight too for several years now. I started as I realised if I do not do it I will baloon in no time as I started to gain weight progressing into 40s. Even though many envy my weight, I am still marginally over the limit in the nhs test. Intend to keep watching!

Edited by AlmaAtaKZ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BMI is a load of b*llocks. It literally is the worse metric I've ever heard of. I'm surprised it's not more than two thirds, though.

Edited by insider9
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, insider9 said:

BMI is a load of b*llocks. It literally is the worse metric I've ever heard of. I'm surprised its not more than two thirds, though.

The way I understand it it's just a measure of height relative to weight, so a body in proportion. It doesn't have any empirical foundation in relating to incidences of heart disease etc but obviously the more likely a person has a body out of proportion the more the greater likelihood of things like coronary artery disease. 

I'm might get cancer and all that crap at some stage, but I'm hoping my heart 'engine' and blood system is going to be the last that gives out, so I can be mobile. As for me it would be the worst thing to be fat and not be able to be very mobile, as I get older. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Pmcman said:

The way I understand it it's just a measure of height relative to weight, so a body in proportion. It doesn't have any empirical foundation in relating to incidences of heart disease etc but obviously the more likely a person has a body out of proportion the more the greater likelihood of things like coronary artery disease. 

I'm might get cancer and all that crap at some stage, but I'm hoping my heart 'engine' and blood system is going to be the last that gives out, so I can be mobile. As for me it would be the worst thing to be fat and not be able to be very mobile, as I get older. 

The problem you face is that muscle weights more than fat. As a result many athletes (e.g. Body builders) are classed as obese even when their body fat % is low. I'm not an athlete of any kind by the way. 

When I hit sub 11% body fat figures even though I looked very skinny my BMI was around 21. That's average or normal? No, thanks. No wonder teenage girls suffer from anorexia... if these are the 'standards' 

BMI in isolation as a metric has no relevance at all as the scale describing it is so out of touch with reality.

I'd be more concerned about blood pressure and body fat then BMI. If you're concerned about health. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The thing is the fat in the blood by poor diet can get into muscle, breakdown products of which prevent insulin allowing glucose in the blood into the muscles. This is part of the mechanism of type 2 diabetes attributed to being overweight.

but it's also the levels of blood born fats - low density lipoproteins carrying cholesterol and triglycerides which are related to how much fat you store and diet, and thus coronary artery disease and thickening of coronary arteries which lead to infarction (heart muscle death or attack). So if you are storing less fat, and are not overweight, your harmful blood born carried fats like cholesterol and triglycerides (carried in blood in ldl) which can lead to coronary artery disease, will be lower. Also effects on things like arthritis too in being overweight. 

So I would be concerned by how fat I am as if I go back to being a bit of a porker I'm going to be carrying more of these bad blood born fats like cholesterol and triglycerides. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer

Agree BMI is simplistic - so only should be used as such, i.e. simple quick initial (self)evaluation/indication. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't dispute impact of obesity or being overweight on health. I'm only questioning the measure that's widely regarded to indicate what's normal and overweight/obese. 

Have a look below. Neither of these are body builders who's BMI would be in thirties classifying them as obese. Where these people can have as little as 3-5% body fat. 

509118761-5392963_orig.jpg

Edited by insider9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm in the overweight area by BMI measurement. 

Two collies help with the motivation to keep fit. 

I walk at least 3 miles every day, climb over 2000 ft at least 4 times a month, last week did a 15 mile walk while climbing 2500 feet. When we are in the Lake District (10 days a month in season) we average 8 miles, 1500 ft every day. 

At 64 next month I think I'll take the risk TBH. 

Statins and blood pressure tablets do help :nerves:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, insider9 said:

I don't dispute impact of obesity or being overweight on health. I'm only questioning the measure that's widely regarded to indicate what's normal and overweight/obese. 

Have a look below. Neither of these are body builders who's BMI would be in thirties classifying them as obese. Where these people can have as little as 3-5% body fat. 

509118761-5392963_orig.jpg

the thing with bmi is it's used as a guide to which you can follow. But if someone is say 5 foot 8 and 15 stone, if they are concerned with health, it's pretty obvious they are at risk of diabetes and will be carrying lots of blood born fats, blood pressure effects etc. Even at 14 or 13 stone. If the same height and 20 stone, they are clearly putting life at risk and will be morbidly obese. 

Other than taking blood pressure and levels of blood fats,  it's pretty impossible to know the effects of fat born substances on coronary artery narrowing until it's too late, and you have a heart attack. Also you can measure blood pressure but the damage it does over long term, that's hard to measure too. 

but some of these sports stars may or may not be putting themselves at risk. But my attitude is that if you are an average person with normal balance of fats and muscle, and you ignore the bmi guidelines you are putting yourself at risk simply because you are straying into weights that have health effects. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, mickbald said:

I'm in the overweight area by BMI measurement. 

Two collies help with the motivation to keep fit. 

I walk at least 3 miles every day, climb over 2000 ft at least 4 times a month, last week did a 15 mile walk while climbing 2500 feet. When we are in the Lake District (10 days a month in season) we average 8 miles, 1500 ft every day. 

At 64 next month I think I'll take the risk TBH. 

Statins and blood pressure tablets do help :nerves:

You must eat like a horse if you are still overweight by bmi and do all that exercise. Sorry for my petulance but just trying to present it in a funny way and anyway I bet with that exercise you are fit and healthy.😀

I'm doing a walk of between 13-15 miles every Sunday with the rambling group, and I run around 3-4 miles a week too. With controlling my diet and just cutting out sugar and keeping portions decent, the weight is flying off ATM and I'm in my early forties. Im trying to get down to a weight when I was in my early 20s when you look so much leaner and facial features look better, no double chin etc. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Pmcman said:

You must eat like a horse if you are still overweight by bmi and do all that exercise. Sorry for my petulance but just trying to present it in a funny way and anyway I bet with that exercise you are fit and healthy.😀

Nah, drink like a fish. Beer at 6 o'clock, Gin before dinner and Whisky before bed daily. It'll kill me but i never want to end up in a rest home so that suits me. 

Never smoke. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah but you don't want to go through a horrible illness. Cirrhosis etc. Alcohol calorifically has loads more energy than fats. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer

hah , you may not end up in a rest home mick , its what happens before you get there that matters :D i.e cirrhosis !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for your concern guys, but my liver functionality tests come back fine every time. :)

Live for today ffs. i don't want to be dribbling at 80!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.