doctorjuggles

Best deal out of this amp lineup?

Alright Wammers?

Looking at buying an integrated amp. My current setup sees my Resolution Audio Opus 21 feeding directly into my Sugden A21P power amp (the Opus 21 has an on-board pre-amp that is only functional via the phono outputs)

For several reasons, I'm looking to switch to an integrated solution and I've found a few bits and pieces being sold second-hand that partner well with my Totem Sttafs

Available to me at the following prices are:

Puresound A30 - £625
Sugden A21a Series 1 - £625
Bewitch A30 (with 4 spare valves) - £530
Pure Sound 2A3 - £765
Sugden A21ai Series 2 - £925

So what's everyone's opinion on the best bang/buck/system match here (assuming all products are in good condition)

For what it's worth, the current Suggie is decent, but doesn't particularly stand out, but that may be down to the sub-optimal setup using the Opus pre-amp in the way I currently am

Cheers in advance for any and all opinions

Edited by doctorjuggles

of the one's I have heard, the bewitch (assuming it as a puresound) or the suggie series 2. depends if you want valves or not. 

• Upvote 1

Yeah the Bewitch is supposed to have the "Made for Puresound" lettering on the back, so it looks a decent deal.

Not actually attached to valves/solid state - I've heard great valves, great solid states and I've heard terrible examples of both too

One thing I'm struggling to find is any comparisons between the two Puresounds, and also there seems to be a lot of disagreement over whether the Bewitch is really made as well (lots of talk about different transistors etc, but nothing definitive).
But then this is hifi, so I'm sure I'll end up owning all of them at some point. xDO.o

Super Wammer

As a very happy Class A user the Sugden would always be my choice . Not impressive in comparative listening against other equipment as they are not bright or bass prominent . However for long term listening they are musical and informative and very organic.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I have heard both the puresound/bewitch A30 and the 2a3 and both are very enjoyable amps.  It is a long time since I had a listen to the sttaf, but from memory I would have thought the extra power from to a30 would have been a better match.

• Upvote 1

Sugden

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Have you tried the Resolution pre?

Looking at your speakers sensitivity i'd suggest an amp with a bit more grip . I had a loan of a Puresound and though it was very pleasant on the ear it never did really take control and drive my speakers 

6 minutes ago, Duvet said:

Looking at your speakers sensitivity i'd suggest an amp with a bit more grip . I had a loan of a Puresound and though it was very pleasant on the ear it never did really take control and drive my speakers 

Fully agree. 

I've got the same Opus CD and used it as a pre direct. Not the best results I've had from my system though. Much better with the Opus pre. 

Best to leave nothing to chance with amplification. I've always found that having more than you technically need has never been a bad thing.

Whichever you like the sound of best in your system :) let your ears decide (mine would probably pick the Sugdens based on past experience).  Depending on room size the Sugdens should have enough ooomph and if they haven't get a second hand A48 (preferably the original one in the wooden case with the lovely retro leak look) for far less than £500 which will sound amazing and have all the grunt ya need... In fact if you go the second hand route there are many numbers of offerings too many to list :) 

the a21p is the best part of the a21a so have you considered trying some different preamps with your excellent power amp?