The site will be out of service again for further upgrades regarding security fixes. Work will be carried out between 4.30am and 5.30am tomorrow morning. We apologise for the inconvenience.

Pmcman

Charlie Alliston - cyclist

Super Wammer
8 minutes ago, Pmcman said:

This is an interesting one - this guy driving too fast around 60mph I reckon - too fast on that sort of road. Max 50. But do you reckon he reacts too late? I think so.

I'd say a slow reaction of a inexperienced driver who was going too fast into what the police call a "zone of invisibility" 

Dealer
15 minutes ago, Pmcman said:

This is an interesting one - this guy driving too fast around 60mph I reckon - too fast on that sort of road. Max 50. But do you reckon he reacts too late? I think so.

My initial take is that he did react too late then over reacted because it did appear that the overtaking car made enough room. Once the Yaris driver got his wheels off the tarmac that probably dragged him into the wall which flipped him.

But then easy to say stuff when you are not there and faced with the issue.

Edited by Fourlegs

1 minute ago, Maverick said:

I'd say a slow reaction of a inexperienced driver who was going too fast into what the police call a "zone of invisibility" 

Yes Id call these drivers 'on or off' drivers. They are either on it, and just getting somewhere without much concentration or regard to others, or 'off' - they are stationary.
They don't do things like cover brakes, come off the accelerator a bit when blind preparing for a unknown hazard etc. The guy was obviously OK, but it said a lot of his attitude that he seemed to be thinking it was the other drivers fault when he started saying "lets not raise our voices" in a tone which suggested to me he thought it the other overtakers fault. Shows you accidents are rarely one cause and the part speed plays.

Super Wammer
Just now, Pmcman said:

Shows you accidents are rarely one cause and the part speed plays.

yup, I say that you should always expect a large animal over a hill / round a blind bend etc which if you hit will hurt a tad and it's hard to blame them

2 minutes ago, Fourlegs said:

My initial take is that he did react too late then over reacted because it did appear that the overtaking car made enough room. Once the Yaris driver got his wheels off the tarmac that probably dragged him into the wall which flipped him.

But then easy to say stuff when you are not there and faced with the issue.

I agree, I think he hit the brakes hard and applied left turn at the same time he lost directional control under heavy braking. If he had hit the brakes hard alone without steering lock and come off them, as you say he had enough room at the point the other car pulled in, not to need to swerve. I wonder what the hell the guy was doing with a helmet cam on his head. Was this a staged accident? Unless he had been cycling etc and had kept a camera on his head, but why wear a helmet /  attachment point in a car. Unless this guy drives around doing that. Very weird.

Inexperienced, he hadn't been driving long, plus he seemed to be a bit of a knob. He did seem pretty laid back though despite rolling the car.

Dealer
55 minutes ago, Pmcman said:

I agree, I think he hit the brakes hard and applied left turn at the same time he lost directional control under heavy braking. If he had hit the brakes hard alone without steering lock and come off them, as you say he had enough room at the point the other car pulled in, not to need to swerve. I wonder what the hell the guy was doing with a helmet cam on his head. Was this a staged accident? Unless he had been cycling etc and had kept a camera on his head, but why wear a helmet /  attachment point in a car. Unless this guy drives around doing that. Very weird.

Personally I think it is wise to almost automatically be in a spirit of mind that anticipates a problem in the blind part of the road ahead and anticipate having to take avoiding action. It sounds silly but it really is how I drive. 

He sounds like a complete turd, in this interconnected world and as a professional cyclist he should have known it's the law to have a front brake, its nearly 50 years that I first had a fixed gear bike, and even my mother knew that, admittedly she was a club cyclist.

And yes you can stop quicker as I remember.

31 minutes ago, Pete the Feet said:

Inexperienced, he hadn't been driving long, plus he seemed to be a bit of a knob. He did seem pretty laid back though despite rolling the car.

I guess his suspension was unloaded at the point he hit the brakes which won't have helped, besides he took that corner too fast,

If he knew the road, even sillier, he should have been braking into that bend in anticipation of loads of nastiness including the road dropping like it does.

46 minutes ago, Pete the Feet said:

I find it curious that everyone appears to be blaming the driver who crashed. He was within the speed limit, on his own side of the road, and found himself facing a driver who was overtaking approaching a blind crest.  Who then appeared to accelerate rather than brake and drop in behind the car he was overtaking.  That may well have been impossible for him to do in the time, which shows why he shouldn't have been overtaking there in the first place.  I agree that the crasher shouldn't have swerved and braked at the same time, but it takes great experience to stop yourself doing that, and even then it is the instant reaction.  I rather suspect that if a police officer had witnessed the incident the overtaker would have found himself in court, charged with at least driving without due care.  At the very least.

And I thought he did well to stay calm.

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer

Just watched the slo-mo. I do think the driver overreacted. If you do a stop-start replay the BM is 90% on his side of the road 100m away and they could pass without collision; more importantly, when he first sees them the BM is already substantially past the other car. Braking at this point would have been a guarantee of a collision. If "our" driver had held his line and braked it would have been tight but ok. The BM should probably (probably not definitely IMHO) not have overtaken there but to me it looks like he had time to complete his manoeuvre. What the hell our man was doing with a headcam on is another issue, not sure what the hell that was about. Based on the video evidence, it would have been very hard to secure a conviction of the overtaking driver.

J24 M62 westbound perfect example, saw a driving instructor do this, shame I was on my own and couldn't get close enough to 'have a word'
Mr Awkward as a driving instructor you are not qualified to defend the twerp who over reacted in rolling his car. As you can see from Paul's post you driving instructors spend far too much time in the passenger seat and are by and large bloody awful drivers and even worse motorcyclists. The evidence is stacked against you.
Nethen, get out of that one

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, TheFlash said:

Just watched the slo-mo. I do think the driver overreacted. If you do a stop-start replay the BM is 90% on his side of the road 100m away and they could pass without collision; more importantly, when he first sees them the BM is already substantially past the other car. Braking at this point would have been a guarantee of a collision. If "our" driver had held his line and braked it would have been tight but ok. The BM should probably (probably not definitely IMHO) not have overtaken there but to me it looks like he had time to complete his manoeuvre. What the hell our man was doing with a headcam on is another issue, not sure what the hell that was about. Based on the video evidence, it would have been very hard to secure a conviction of the overtaking driver.

If the bm guy had killed 'our' guy, I've no doubt he would be prosecuted and convicted for either death by dangerous driving or quite possibly death by careless driving. But there is no way to say the bm guy probably should not have overtaken, he definetely should not of. And the reason is exactly because some nutter could be speeding over a blind hill like our guy, or worst doing 70 which isn't unusual on  roads like that for some nutters. People have to leave a big margin for error in an overtake on only a really straight bit, to take the bad blind speeding driver out of the equation. Do that and no accident. The number of times people overtake me when they are blind to a bend or hill in this scenario is shocking. 

This is one where speed caused a fatality - David Holmes was the motorcyclist who died. I think he was doing 90 from memory. 

Edited by Pmcman

10 hours ago, Pete the Feet said:

Mr Awkward as a driving instructor you are not qualified to defend the twerp who over reacted in rolling his car. As you can see from Paul's post you driving instructors spend far too much time in the passenger seat and are by and large bloody awful drivers and even worse motorcyclists. The evidence is stacked against you.
Nethen, get out of that oneemoji1.png

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Retired, so perfectly qualified.  Just like everyone else here making judgements. :P  And as a serial crasher of motorcycles, even more qualified. :P:P

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1