Sign in to follow this  
cwarchc

Classical Club, album #2 - Shostakovich Symphony No7 Petrenko

71pDZAPhOAL__SL1500_.jpg&f=1

Perhaps not Shostakovich's best symphony?

However, perhaps one of the most influential

This was composed during WW2 whilst Leningrad was under siege

Premièred by the Bolshoi in 1942

Perhaps the best known version is the one performed by the Leningrad Radio Orchestra broadcast from the city, 3 of the artists died during rehearsals from starvation!!

This version is the one conducted by Vasily Petrenko, the young Russian conductor that turned the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra into one of the best in the country

His speciality is Shostakovich, this is a gem (in my opinion)

It has been controversial, with debate about whether or not it was anti Stalinist.I just enjoy the music

It was one of my 1st classical music purchases and stays special

I hope you enjoy it.

I don't have Spotify, but it is on there

The Youtube below is the 1st section.

Edited by Bazzer
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Great choice,  spotify link here

The image is different but it is the same one.  More when I have re listened to it.

• Upvote 1

Just had my first listen , stirring stuff !

I'll give this a listen today.
Not familiar with Shostakovich, but what I have heard - part of the 11th Symphony - was very powerful, even violent sounding music.

16 hours ago, cwarchc said:

Not a lot of response?

The concept maybe ?

No the club is new and this section is a quiet part of the Wam  , I think the response has been quite good so far.

PS. Having a second listen right now.

I quite enjoyed the first listen, but as is common with a lot of unfamiliar music, I think it needs a few listens to fully appreciate.
Will give it a few spins. An interesting choice.

First of all Chris thanks for choosing this.

Secondly, I have to declare an interest,  me and Mrs JTW are regulars at the "Phil" and have enjoyed this live. Vasiily Petrenko, the conductor, is a native of Leningrad / St Petersburg, and he is something of a hero in Liverpool having transformed the RLPO. His Shostakovich  series performances have been fantastic. If this had not been chosen then i might well have selected this, or another from the series, myself. So it is a real pleasure to listen to this and to remember the live performance.  The recording here is so clear that I'm almost back there. The performance is fantastic, the maestro would accept no less. 

Yes it is violent, with a forced humour,  just remember when and where it was composed and who had to be placated.

So,  all in all this does remind me why I now mostly listen to classical music. The emotion, artistry and guile expressed in this piece eclipses pretty much everything written in the years since 1941.

I still like prog though. 
  • Like 1