I am surprised that BP don't have a thread on here, so let's start one!

I only own the baby in the range, the Border Patrol DAC. This little box is just superb, and knocks that ball out of the park in terms of VFM. I compared it to the Schitt Yggdrasil, at twice the cost, and a Lampizator, at four times the cost, and preferred its balance of sound.

My version just has a spdif input and the uprated PSU.

Downsides? It will handle files up to 9624, but really only uses 16/44.1. Won't handle DSD, or unfold MQA.

But, really when it sounds THIS good I don't care.

I agree with this, even if my experiences with 'other' DACs is rather less extensive:

https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2017/04/16/review-borderpatrol-usb-digital-to-analogue-converter-se-version/

M

Edited by Mr Underhill

Super Wammer

Just placed my order for a SE SPDIF DAC from Gary Dews at Border Patrol who couldn't have been more helpful.

I decided to take the plunge on one of these mainly due to the glowing report of Mr Underhill on here but also on the many other positive reviews I have read on this unassuming little box of tricks along with of course the stellar reputation that BP has acquired over the years.

Buying blind will always be a gamble but hopefully in this case one that is not too big.  Time will tell, but I cant wait for it to be shipped over from the States so that I can try it out in my system.  

• Upvote 1

look forward to your view on the DAC, thinking of ordering one too.

Super Wammer

Me too and have contacted Gary for a price which is far too tempting. Think I’m going to bite the bullet.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Richard A said:

Me too and have contacted Gary for a price which is far too tempting. Think I’m going to bite the bullet.

Hi Richard, slight sidetrack but what do you think of your S5E? Looking for a reasonably smooth sounding speaker but not as laid back as my old Rogers Studio 1..

Super Wammer

Hi Spen,

I have had the S5E for about eight years and think they are excellent. Since getting my Modwright amp I’ve been amazed at how much bass they produce. They are on the slightly laid-back side of neutral.

I might have these on the market in a few months as I am getting some Boenicke W8 on 30day trial soon. Depends on which I prefer.

Here’s a pic.

IMG_0040.thumb.JPG.60386f3fbe26fdf78e95fb196ea0264d.JPG

02C1B48A-1457-4B04-8431-E4EDFD725667.jpeg

Apologies. Did not mean to send that twice!

To return to topic, I have now ordered by Border Patrol DAC SE SPDIF version too. Any suggestions for connecting cables to my Cyrus CDi?

Richard

1 hour ago, Richard A said:

Any suggestions for connecting cables to my Cyrus CDi?

Richard

Any 75 Ohm SPDIF cable will do, this one for example.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SPDIF-Digital-Audio-Video-Coaxial-Cable-RCA-to-RCA-Van-Damme-75ohm-Coax-Phono-/171636349397?var=&hash=item27f652d9d5:m:m7phHT498xnoCoDu0qgoi3g

Super Wammer

Thanks JezR,

Will take a look. Will also post here once I have received my BP and listened to it.

Super Wammer

Border Patrol SE arrived today. Even box fresh it is a huge jump from the DAC in the Cyrus. Too early for detailed analysis but there appears to be more of everything.

Jon, has yours arrived yet?

Richard

We need pictures! :)

Super Wammer

I Conrad,

Here’s a quick phone pic. It’s sitting on the Cyrus at the moment which I realise is not ideal. Will need to get another shelf for the Hi Fi Rack.

It’s getting better by the minute.

Richard

5E339DED-631E-43AA-9A13-AA9BF69E60FE.jpeg

That's not how I imagined the Border Patrol DAC would look like. For some reason, being a tube DAC, I expected lots of tubes on show!

Super Wammer

Hi Conrad,

The only tube/valve is a rectifier for the power supply. It sits in its own opening in the copper chassis, very sweet!

Spent  the afternoon listening to CDs I know ell and it’s pretty amazing. Will write down some thoughts over the next few days.

Richard

Super Wammer
On ‎06‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 15:50, Richard A said:

Border Patrol SE arrived today. Even box fresh it is a huge jump from the DAC in the Cyrus. Too early for detailed analysis but there appears to be more of everything.

Jon, has yours arrived yet?

Richard

Richard, apologies , I have only just seen this.

To answer your question, yes, my Border Patrol SE DAC arrived safe and sound on Thursday 26th OCT. so have had it now for almost 2 weeks.

My experience with it differs from yours in that fresh out of the box , [ well, giving it about 12 hours for a bit of a warm up] my initial reaction was that I was completely underwhelmed by its performance - flat, lifeless sound, soggy bass, no top end sparkle were my initial reactions and to be honest I thought I had made a big mistake buying it. I was comparing it with my 17 year old Meridian 596 player and using that as a transport for the BP DAC  I was frankly relieved to take the BP out of my system and go back to using the integrated Meridian player on its own. 

There followed a few days of trying a different active valve pre amp. - no joy -  and then using a couple of other CD players that I have as transports for the DAC with little success.  It was after quite a lot of messing about that I virtually gave up and contacted Gary at Border Patrol to ask him if he would have the DAC back with a view to a refund.  

Gary got straight back to me and was very understanding about my predicament but he was busy getting ready for a show in the States and asked me to leave the DAC on with the transport on repeat play for a few days and see if there was any improvement to be had. He also suggested turning the valve on the dac on and off a few times throughout this period.  I was happy to give it a go as I have experienced this aspect of extended warm up/ burn in/ settling in , call it what you like, when using new equipment for the first time in the past. To cut a long story short, after about 3 or 4  days of continuous  play and extended warm up the sound I am now experiencing from the DAC has been utterly transformed , so much so that I am now going to contact Gary again to say forget what I said previously, I'm keeping it !

I am currently using the DAC with an old E- Sound CD E-5 player as a transport and the sound is, for want of a better word - glorious.

I don't profess to understand this aspect of warm up/ burning in of new equipment resulting in improved sound , I only know that in my experience it exists to a greater or lesser extent depending on the equipment in question of course. My ears are telling me that my BP DAC needed quite a while [ a good week or so ] to come fully on song and whose to say that it might not keep on improving for a little while yet ! 

DSCF7054.JPG

Edited by jhud
  • Upvote 1

I'm bemused by this sort of experience.

My take is that...

While some components, like some types of capacitor, take a long time to stabilise and perform at their best, the most difference is purely in warming-up, after which there shouldn't be much change. If you listen to it during an extended "burn in" period, you will become accustomed to the sound. Maybe not so much the unit changing as your perception of it as you get used to it. Of course, if the unit played on repeat and it was not playing through the speakers, then any perceived change is more likely actually there.

I also believe that if a product needs extended "burn in" in the order of hundreds of hours, then the manufacturer is not soak testing and getting the product to its ideal operating behaviour before sending it out the door. This itself would be a quality control issue, because if components are yet to stabilize to normal operating parameters, then they are measurably off relative to where they should be. 

Also, saying a product needs extended "burn in" is the manufacturer's way of getting people to stick with it and listen for changes.... again, you're more likely to become accustomed to it, so apart from using up any trial period or opportunity to return it, you're much more likely to want to keep it anyway.

The above was also the general consensus on a thread on this website a couple of months ago, but not sure which thread exactly... these are some burn in threads, but there are others.

Let's face it, a studio wouldn't buy equipment if it had to "burn in" before being fit for purpose.... it's costing them in studio time! So this sort of thing does not exist in pro-audio and is considered blatant BS.

While you may truly believe you hear differences (and I believe you honestly do), this might just be becoming accustomed to a different sound. Even if it did generally improve, the question regarding whether it was on point leaving the factory is raised and how they know it will come up to spec. I would say, why not just do the "burn in" in the factory and only sell ones needing no "burn in"? At least this way, you either love it on receipt, or can send it back straight away without fuss. Seems burn in creates a faff where one shouldn't be.

Edited by Metatron