Pete the Feet

Lovefilm to be ditched

Well it seems like Amazon are to ditch Lovefilm after taking it over and screwing up the format.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-40925062

When they took over they not only lost everyone's viewing history they ignored user enquiries.

The loss of this service must be a blow to those with no broadband or a poor internet connection. It is also a loss of access to many foreign language films which are invariably better than the usual Hollywood pap.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

it is also a loss of high-quality surround sound - most blurays come with HD multichannel sound. most streamed content is either stereo or 5.1 DD at best. i.e. they ditch the 'old' way before the 'new way' even reaches the level of the old (on some aspects). Convenience and lower cost beat quality. Unfortunate but inevitable.

Edited by AlmaAtaKZ

nowt to do with this thread, but how is streaming worse than MP3? many stream full fat CD quality, and vinyl to CD is a debatable depending on mastering.

Do people play DVD and Bluray discs anymore ?

I will put money on the top supermarkets in the UK having nothing  for sale within the next 18 months.

Edited by Fast Bowler

I do this with love film, and did it with blockbuster before they stopped doing it, and really disappointed with that announcement.

you get loads of films for your money is the point, in good quality, and the surprise too of getting discs in the post is a real chery upper. Especially when you get a film you like. 

Is anyone else going to be doing this?

On ‎20‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 17:52, dudywoxer said:

nowt to do with this thread, but how is streaming worse than MP3? many stream full fat CD quality, and vinyl to CD is a debatable depending on mastering.

Initially when CD was first available the playback hardware was relatively poor and took a while to match vinyl. Ditto mp3 and other lossless files, similar the early streaming was of a lower quality. The point I was making is that initially a lower quality product and service in this case seems to supersede a higher quality product. 

The other day I was talking to the couple who used to own the local video and then DVD rental shop in the village. I was lamenting the fact of Lovefilm folding. He downloads his films for free off the internet. He locates the films on webcrawler then plays them back via something called bin something or other. I can't remember the full name of the bin thing but it appears to be a binary decoder at a guess. He has had no problems with viruses and malware. He does know what he's doing as he used to build, sell and repair computers out of his rental shop. he stores the films on a server and plays back via his television.

Do people play DVD and Bluray discs anymore ?

Absolutely.