hifinutt

Focal speakers

Recommended Posts

can`t see an owners thread for focal . having had 2 beautiful focal speakers . the 1028be and diablo which were extremely good vfm and sounded great 

good you tube vid on focal here with some interesting stuff 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've got to say that I LOVE my 1008be II, BUT .....boy, are they a revealing speaker, and I believe their transparency is a step DOWN on the Utopias.

This has caused me heart ache for the past year as I tried to solve issues in mt front end; which I FINALLY sorted about six weeks ago. I am now listening to the best music I have ever had at home; and the Focals are no small part in this.

I use the Focals with EAR/Yoshino amps and the match is wonderful.

I thoroughly recommend the 1008be IIs, but you may find out more about what you have in front of them than you want to hear and, like me, end up on a bit of a journey!

M

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yes , we had a whole day listening to the 1008be and 1028be courtesy of the marvellous audio T in Cheltenham . had B&W 804s at the time . my son commented how transparent the 1008be were and asked me for a pair !!! they are lovely speakers and both the 1028 and 1008 are good vfm now . you can buy brand new 1028 be for £3750 on ebay and 1008be new on ebay .  pretty good really when it compares to price of 804d  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm really happy with my 1028be's. lovely speaker. I really don't get the detractors on here who say they are WAYyy too bright/edgy. I'm using a valve amp & DAC, but they aren't particularly soft or woolly sounding.

Ive heard several other speakers around the £4-5k mark, but nothing that beats my 1028be's.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a pair of 928 Electra's BE's , very happy with them :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have in the past owned the 1027 Be and also the 927 Be. I enjoyed the 1027 Be (used with a Mcintosh power amp) but I found the 927 Be (used with a MF power amp) painfully bright (nice looking speaker/design though). The Be models have fantastic resolution and I found the 1027Be to have a nicely proportioned sound with tight, tuneful bass. However, for my tastes, I generally find Focal speakers to sound somewhat artificial and Hifi-ish. I generally prefer the more natural sonic performance of ProAc, ATC, Dynaudio etc. and even though they are not the most 'natural' sounding speakers, KEF Reference models also.

Edited by marlew

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Focal's seem to be a marmite speaker, although I have had a pair of 936's for 12 years which predate the be tweeters. Which means I must be pretty happy with them. Horribly sensitive to what else is in the food chain, but great when happy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, moo-fi said:

Focal's seem to be a marmite speaker, although I have had a pair of 936's for 12 years which predate the be tweeters. Which means I must be pretty happy with them. Horribly sensitive to what else is in the food chain, but great when happy.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Super-Rare-JMLab-Focal-Utopia-Loudspeaker-Original-and-stunning-RRP-29-000/202029730781?hash=item2f09e90bdd%3Ag%3AFFIAAOSwN7NZl~Mr

How about these Fred?

Offer him a straight swap mate :D Difficult speakers to accommodate for most people I would imagine. If he accepts I'll drive up with you to pick them up. Incredible speakers! not sure if you would actually gain much though. Perhaps they are just a 'bigger' version of yours, and you have got yours pretty well supplemented with the bass anyway.

Edited by eddie-baby

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fair comment Fred. At the end of the day, we all have different tastes/preferences in audio. I found the 1027 Be to be a fine loudspeaker and not all bright, unlike the earlier 927 Be model; an example of why it is important not to over generalise with audio brands. I very much enjoyed listening to them but ultimately they lacked the natural, accurate sonic character I tend to look for.  Nevertheless, a more than capable speaker in terms of resolution and I understand their appeal. 

Edited by marlew

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Everyone hears slightly differently. Working in live sound there are few speakers I can live with.  I suspect it will be Tannoy's next if Nicky gets her way or Active ATC 100's if I get my choice, as I cannot justify the price of the Utopia range.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last week I listened to the Focal 816W & 1028be II on teh end of two different Naim systems; as well as my own 1008be II powered by EAR. The word that struck me was transparent.

I agree that they are horribly revealing. If there is something off then you are going to know it. In this case all three systems were revealed:

Olive vs Black Box vs EAR.

All three sounded excellent, with the EAR having definitely different sound signature.

I don't know what is meant by, '... not having a natural, accurate sonic character'. But writing about what you hear is always difficult.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mr Underhill said:

Last week I listened to the Focal 816W & 1028be II on teh end of two different Naim systems; as well as my own 1008be II powered by EAR. The word that struck me was transparent.

I agree that they are horribly revealing. If there is something off then you are going to know it. In this case all three systems were revealed:

Olive vs Black Box vs EAR.

All three sounded excellent, with the EAR having definitely different sound signature.

I don't know what is meant by, '... not having a natural, accurate sonic character'. But writing about what you hear is always difficult.

Generally speaking, I find Focal speakers slightly 'glassy', hyped in the treble/mid area and lacking in depth (I suppose this could also be described as lacking mid bass warmth) for my tastes. They are a speaker with a presentation style that I would describe as 'surface sonics' as opposed to 'fundamental sonics'. If you listen to a couple of Focal speakers next to a couple of Dynaudio speakers for example (a good entry level model and a good higher up model from each of the manufacturers) you will see what I am getting at. The voicing and also materials used by Focal for their drivers (glass, metal etc) does not lead to what I would describe as the most 'natural' presentation, ime this is more likely to come from speakers which utilize paper based drivers and high quality soft dome tweeters. There are always exceptions to this rule. I am not knocking Focal speakers per se, they are very good at what they do and the Be tweeter is a very fine performer. They are just not the speaker for me. At the end of the day we all have different tastes in audio, in the same way that we have different tastes in nearly every other area of our lives. One  man's meat is another man's poison etc. As I am no longer a Focal owner I should probably leave it there. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30/08/2017 at 12:36, marlew said:

Generally speaking, I find Focal speakers slightly 'glassy', hyped in the treble/mid area and lacking in depth (I suppose this could also be described as lacking mid bass warmth) for my tastes. They are a speaker with a presentation style that I would describe as 'surface sonics' as opposed to 'fundamental sonics'. If you listen to a couple of Focal speakers next to a couple of Dynaudio speakers for example (a good entry level model and a good higher up model from each of the manufacturers) you will see what I am getting at. The voicing and also materials used by Focal for their drivers (glass, metal etc) does not lead to what I would describe as the most 'natural' presentation, ime this is more likely to come from speakers which utilize paper based drivers and high quality soft dome tweeters. There are always exceptions to this rule. I am not knocking Focal speakers per se, they are very good at what they do and the Be tweeter is a very fine performer. They are just not the speaker for me. At the end of the day we all have different tastes in audio, in the same way that we have different tastes in nearly every other area of our lives. One  man's meat is another man's poison etc. As I am no longer a Focal owner I should probably leave it there. 

Tend to agree, if I run a Primare transistor amp through my 1007s then I get fatigued very quickly,  however my Copland Vave amp makes them sing for hours.

It doesn't help that for over 20 years I listend through AR3a's, hell of a change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i ran a tom evans vibe into some belles monoblocks into some 1028be . it really rocked and was very very natural . actually one set up i regret getting rid of and 2 folks have kept the 1028 be i had for several years each 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.