Wingless Garuda

CDs for equipment demos

Tiffany . I think were alone now.

Belinda Carlisle. Heaven is a place on earth.

Ultrasonic. No limit.

Captain sensible. Happy talk.

Seriously good tunes with plenty of low end and sweet treble and vocals, pretty dynamic and revealing of true full range systems.

Dont take the piss.......but a few tracks that really make your kit sing.........

George Michael : You have been loved Older

Titanic soundtrack : most tracks work OST

Gordon Haskell : Feelin looseHarrys Bar

More when i think of them........................

My latest faves for demoare:

Felix Laband - Dark Days Exit

Joni Mitchell - Blue

Lambchop - Is a woman

Radiohead - Hail to the thief

Kate Bush - Aerial

:^Hawk wrote:

Papa Lazarou wrote:

Felix Laband - Dark Days Exit

:dude::dude::dude:I think this disc can tell me more about a HiFi than any other ive ever heard.

.......so far ;)

:^Agreed.

Where do I start? Most recent purchase would suggest the isomike test disc is excellent for dynamics, alison krauss live is great for attack, antiphone blues as suggesteed earlier has plenty of ambience, linn's mozart requiem is good for chorals and actually the murray track on Chess is surprisingly good for bass as well? I guess, I tend to get hold of the neares disc available, rather than exclusively repeating a set group of disc..

John Martyn - Solid Air (remastered)

This is a stunning recording,every time i've upgraded there seems to be another level of detail on this disc to be revealed. Danny Thompson's double bass goes deeper and has more resonance than almost anything else i've heard and the solo at the end of "I'd rather be the devil" is fantastic for testing the soundstage,shimmering keyboards,percussion and little guitar licks coming in all over the place.

The whole album is fantastic but the stand out tracks for testing are -

Track 1 - Solid Air

Track 4 - I'd Rather be the Devil

"There's a boat that's leavin'" from Rattle / LPO / EMI version of Gershwin's Porgy and Bess. Great recording, significant complexity that develops from initial simple, single-voice accoustic. The point at which the music "blurs" rather than giving aclear reproduction of the increasing complexity is a good measure of the equipment quality.

"Fascinatin' Rythm" track 3 from Dave Grusin The Gershwin Connection for a blend of accoustic instruments including piano to test transient response. If you can hear the start of notes, the middle and the end, you're listening on decent equipment.

I use the Eric Clapton "Unplugged" too, and usually a Bach Cantata to test voice.

[My maiden post here, too]

oldfogey wrote:

"There's a boat that's leavin'" from Rattle / LPO / EMI version of Gershwin's Porgy and Bess. Great recording, significant complexity that develops from initial simple, single-voice accoustic. The point at which the music "blurs" rather than giving aclear reproduction of the increasing complexity is a good measure of the equipment quality.

"Fascinatin' Rythm" track 3 from Dave Grusin The Gershwin Connection for a blend of accoustic instruments including piano to test transient response. If you can hear the start of notes, the middle and the end, you're listening on decent equipment.

I use the Eric Clapton "Unplugged" too, and usually a Bach Cantata to test voice.

[My maiden post here, too]

Welcome to the tent Oldfogey:D

Have to agree on "Solid air" but better on the old 12 inch black stuff by far, the tracks sugggested take some beating.

However, From John Martyns "One world" lp "Small hours" is even more revealing, listen for the geese(I kid you not) in the background and the music is very cool as well

A couple more to consider

"Scallwag Jazz" by Thomas Lang: the better the system the more complex the arrangements seems to be, a good way to justify your latest tweak .

"Aliens Ate my Buick" by Thomas Dolby: some extreme dynamics "Air head" and some uber sublelty in "Budapest by Blimp" also very funny in places

Personal choice but i use the following;

Marc Cohn - walking in memphis (breathtaking recording)

Dave Grusin - Plays Gershwin (third track - most impressive drum sound you will ever hear)

James Taylor - Hour Glass (his voice tends to nasal even moreso on poor equipment and their is some recorded bass on this album to see how far down the speakers go tunefully or is it just a rumbling mess)

Led Zeppelin - remastered Ten years gone from Physical Graffiti. Masterful, technical and downright wonderful.

Annie Lennox - Medusa (this will test the ladies vocals to the nth degree)

Dave Matthews Band most of the early albums produced by Lillywhite (sad git I know but I love this band)

Dire Straights - On the Night (live) - Romeo and Juliet and Private Investigations. Live recordings with not a lot of over dubs shows how good a cd can sound.

Nick Drake - Pink Moon (stark and empty poor equipement will have u running for the bathroom with a razor blade)

Beatles - Sergeant Pepper (she's leaving home, Lucy in the sky and Day in the Life)

Rachmaninov Vespers (choral music par excellence get to hear just voices)

Robert Plant - Now and Zen (ship of fools) wonderful track with a guitarist pulling every know tone out of a strat (or something similar)

Jeff Beck - Blow by Blow (cos we've ended as lovers) Man with Les Paul on this album methinks but the emotion in his playing gets better with better equipement.

Brand x - tracks of most of their albums cos Giblin and Smith are mmm bass players

John Martyn - selected tracks

Clannad - Lore (6th track with Vinnie Collute on drums)

Sting - Ten summoners tales (Vinnie Collute again and a bag f superp musicians playing wonderful stuff)

to name but a few.

The trick is to take the music you know inside out so that you can see if you can hear the bass lines as you remember them, are their things you never heard before? Does the guitar sound like you remember it or is it even more defined? Does it give you butterflies in your stomach, is your foot tapping in time with a mind of its own (or are you conducting without realising it).

It is all about the music, turn off the lights and listen and don't look at anything and trust your ears they do instinctively know when something is right.

Uzzy