Wingless Garuda

CDs for equipment demos

As this thread seems to have come back from the dead I'd like to add some tracks I like to bring along to listening sessions.

In track/artist/album order

Winter/Tori Amos/Little Earthquakes

I love NYE/badly drawn boy/About a Boy soundtrack

Mirrorball/Peter Gabriel/Scratch My Back

Humble Me/Norah Jones/Feels Like Home

Tuesday Wonderland/e.s.t./Tuesday Wonderland

Circling/Four Tet/There is love in you

Dead Already/Thomas Newman/American Beauty Sountrack

Spanish Harlem/Rebecca Pidgeon/The Raven

Songs I really like which I often use for listening to new kit are:

Nutshell / No Excuses (Unplugged album versions) - Alice in Chains

Sweet Disorder / Drive (remake of The Cars' song)- Strawpeople

Autumn Tactics / No Ordinary Morning - Chicane

The Kingdom - Icehouse

Please Forgive Me - David Gray

Nightshift - The Commodores

Your Latest Trick - Dire Straits

Little Wing - Stevie Ray Vaughan

cd has its flaws :doh: the black album mettallica , if its bad it sounds like the mike is shoved down his throat and he is screaming , and the guitars mash into one , and you cannot distinguish between kick drum and bass guitar , but when its right :rockin:

Good call - I used to thrash the shit out of that album years ago and really loved it. I haven't listened to it in a long time but have just given it a run through this morning and it is indeed awesome, even through my little Leema Xeros which I've currently got set up - they may not have the deepest bass, but they've plenty of punch and are wickedly fast.

Cheers,

Andy.

Hi,

I've used these at one time or another for demos - some for their good sound & some for less than

good sound to see how the kit copes!

Roger Waters - Amused To Death.

Q sound recording.

The last track has lots of attack & also some very subtley bits - particularly backing vocals.

The very quietly recorded female interviewer's voice near the end gets clearer with

a good upgrade!

A nice classical tune such as the Andante from Elgar's violin concerto (Kennedy/Handley/LPO/EMI)

or the largo from Dvorak's New World Symph. (LSO live)

These are beautiful recordings.

Rush - Hold Your Fire.

Thin eighties recording with limited bass depth.

Hard to listen to on a dry, bright system.

Rush - Moving Pictures.

The Camera Eye 'cos its very familiar & to see how a system deals with drive & attack.

This sounds uninvolving on a 'polite' system.

Oleta Adams - Something from 'Evolution'.

An excellent album very well recorded.

Anita Baker - Rhythm of Love.

The title track has some superb bass playing, particularly towards the end - finishes far too soon.

Turn it up!

Orbital - Know where to run - powerful bass synth.

Something from Sabbath!

Something more modern: Django Django - 'Love's Dart'. It has it all.

To me, it seems most systems have the first limitations in the lower octaves. Music that reveals some can be found in:

- Yello - Touch - Takla Makan - Universal Music

Very relaxing and spacious, no high SPL, but a bass thats like a carpet being rolled out of the speakers towards you

- Jean Guillou: Mussorsgsky at an Exhibition - Promenade - Dorian

This is played on organ, I think one of the most difficult instruments to listen to at home

- Peter Fox - Stadtaffe - Alles Neu - Warner

Funny lyrics (need to understand German), pop music with an orchestra arranged, lots of drums, strings and bass

Another difficult field is reproducing s/f sounds, especially with female vocals.

Music that could reveal that:

- Rob Wasserman - Duets - Ballad of the runaway horse (with Jennifer Warnes) - MCA

- Cassandra Wilson - Belly of the sun - Waters of March - EMI

- Gotan Project - Lunático - Amor Porteño - Ya Basta

(also some nice bass on all these CD's by Gotan Project)

Live recordings that could/should give you the feeling of 'being there':

- Jazz at the pawnshop - Proprius

- Eva Cassidy - Live at Bues Alley - Blix Street Records

Great recordings to enjoy, easiest way to get a private concert delivered by your speakers:

- Radka Tonneff - Fairytales - The moon is a harsh mistress - Odin Records

- Joss Stone - The soul sessions - The chokin' kind - EMI

- Ulla Meinecke - Wenn nicht für immer dann wenigstens für ewig - Die Tänzerin - RCA

- Mariza - Fado em mim - Ó gente da minha terra - EMI

Recordings that I personally had problems with to reproduce

(might have been sloppy system setup at home or inferior hardware):

- Katie Melua - The Katie Melua Collection - Nine million bicycles - Dramatico

Sounds like an attempt to have the most distorted overcompressed drum and bass recording.

To me her most beautiful song, and I don't have a tone control...

- Adele - 19 - Chasing pavements - XL Recordings

Towards the chorus all instruments seem to change to a more muddy and blurred sound.

At around 1:40, or 3:00.

Super Wammer

Here is a link to the music we used at Scalford this year. All good for demos.

http://audiophilemusings.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/scalford-hall-hifi-show-playlist-2013.html

Very nice list sunbeamgls, will try some of the music I haven't heared of.

Expected 'The Race' though, with your login name :)

On 17/03/2013 at 08:05, sunbeamgls said:

Here is a link to the music we used at Scalford this year. All good for demos.

http://audiophilemusings.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/scalford-hall-hifi-show-playlist-2013.html

I would not describe Dead Can Dance as folk, maybe New Age Pop/Rock. Although I do quite like Folk/Acoustic think you need more variety. What are you trying to demonstrate with that music?

Edited by BeeRay

Super Wammer
2 hours ago, BeeRay said:

I would not describe Dead Can Dance as folk, maybe New Age Pop/Rock. Although I do quite like Folk/Acoustic think you need more variety. What are you trying to demonstrate with that music?

In the last iteration for Kegworth, I changed the category to "approx genre" as not everyone agrees on the categories (including me, if I haven't put the effort into the tagging yet).

Not sure what you mean by "trying to demonstrate"?  It is just a list of tracks I like, which have good SQ and give a good spread of genres, but I don't have all genres so I can't include music I don't have. Given there is folk, rock, jazz, electronic, dance, classical, blues, electronica, pop and others, that's a pretty decent spread.  It really was just a track list to put on shuffle and for people to choose from if they wanted to hear something in particular.  It takes time to do the show, and I try my best to offer a good spread of music, but please don't expect perfection.

I see, it seems from the choice of music it is just to show how nice a system will sound, it does not really seem to be testing systems. Hardly any rock music? I would like to see more 60/70s rock, how about some Little Feat, Led Zepp, Cream, Hendrix, The Doors and The Who? I always use a Little Feat track (Long Distance Love)  to test the bass, some speakers can't handle it.  More recent music you could consider Talk Talk - Spirit of Eden, Massive Attack - Mezzanie, Roger Waters - Amused to Death. Or you can use Red Hot Chilli Peppers - California to see how it sounds on a decent system. I should think you can buy most of those cds for a £1 or £2. More modern jazz I would use Hadouk Trio - Utopies. I also use some older jazz around mid 50s to see if it sounds ok. I would like to see more jazz, some of the ones you list as Jazz I would not agree. Everyone is probably fed up with Kind of Blue but a few suggestions: Somethin' Else by Cannonball Adderley, Saxophone Collossus - Sonny Rollins, Gentle Ben - Ben Webster, Waltz for Debby - Bill Evans, Brad Medhlau - Art of the Trio Vol. 3 or Places. 

Nothing wrong with Dead Can Dance I use Into the Labyrinth sometimes. Tom Baxter's latest album is very good, The Other Side of Blue but is not jazz, IMHO.

Acoustic Guitar:  Antonio Forcione - Acoustic Revenge.

Blues - Muddy Waters - Folk Singer.

Alt. Country - Lori McKenna - The Tree.   Rhiannon Giddens - Freedom Highway. 

Pop/jazz female vocals - Kristina Train - Dark Black.   Melody Gardot - My One and Only Thrill.

Audiophile - Anne Bisson - Blue Mind.

What system/s are you using?

Edited by BeeRay

Super Wammer

Well this thread is from 2013 so that would've been

Fiio X3

VDAC1 and PSU II

Tidsbury passive pre

Linn AV5125

Aktiv Linn Katan

Ive never exhibited the same system twice, as yet.

Im pleased you have a list of tracks to play and look forward to hearing in your room at the show in 2019. In the meantime, you might find that not listening to the same tracks will allow you to hear some new music, one of the greatest aspects of the show, I find.

On 23/08/2018 at 23:07, sunbeamgls said:

Well this thread is from 2013 so that would've been

Fiio X3

VDAC1 and PSU II

Tidsbury passive pre

Linn AV5125

Aktiv Linn Katan

Ive never exhibited the same system twice, as yet.

Im pleased you have a list of tracks to play and look forward to hearing in your room at the show in 2019. In the meantime, you might find that not listening to the same tracks will allow you to hear some new music, one of the greatest aspects of the show, I find.

I won't be exhibiting at Kegworth next year. I probably won't be able to attend even. I'm all for hearing new music, but that is a problem with many hifi shows you hear the same old music over and over again. Even if I have list I don't like hearing the same over and over, I prefer playing whole albums. At home I rarely play an album more than a few times a year. Not sure where you get the idea I only listen to the same music, I'm always on the lookout for new music and do play new music about half the time, artists I have discovered recently are Lori McKenna, Tom Baxter, Matthew Halsall, Lucero, Ernest Ranglin, Barnaby Bright, Shpongle, Kenny Chesney, William Prince, Joan Shelley, Luluc, Giles Peterson, J. Tillman, Ryley Walker, Modern Studies, Tow'rs, The Rails, Tinariwen, Fred Neil, Orquesta Akokan, Luke Winslow-King and Siobhan Miller. 

Edited by BeeRay
typo

Super Wammer
4 hours ago, BeeRay said:

Not sure where you get the idea I only listen to the same music

Just from your post which seems to be asking for a particular list of music to be played, that's all.