Wingless Garuda

CDs for equipment demos

Presumably you need to demo kit with CDs that you know and which can show up any deficiences in the demo kit. I listened to 8 tracks on a recent demo and that seems too much - when you swap kit, you can't remember what track x sounded like on the other kit.

Which CDs do you bring to a demo? (preferably the ones which show up strengths/weakness in equipment). Hopefully I can modify my CD list.

FWIW, my current list is shown below. I'm not sure that I've got enough CDs in this list to sort out the good from the bad kit:

1. Rigoletto Scenes and Arias (Sutherland, Pavarotti, Milnes etc):

Povero Rigoletto! for Milnes' deep voice...luvverly

La donna e mobile for Pavarotti

2. elephunk (Black Eyed Peas)

Hey Mama for fast music with decent bass. This one does seem to catch some systems out.

3. Nigerian Marketplace (Oscar Peteron Trio)

title track for the glorious tinkling of the ivories

4. Ingenue (k.d lang)

The Mind Of Love for female vocals and guitar.

Any pointers appreciated!

Last dems I had was for speakers and usually take the same cd's whatever I'm going to listen to ;

Air;Moon Safari tracks All I need and You make it easy.Beautiful female voice.:cool:

Lamb;Fear of Fours tracks Softly ,Here ,Fly ,Alien ,Five and lullaby. Female vocals and a double bass , an amazing variation of the Drum and Bass genre.:cool::cool:

Massive Attack; Blue Lines. One of the best albums ever.;)

Kasabian;Kasabian. Rock or Wreck a system.:shock:

Roots Manuva;Dub come save me.Dreamy days , Super Furry Animals Dub.Set to high volume and this track could potentially KILL a set of speakers also gives them a great workout.This is a must hear track to check out any kit.:shock::P

I would normally take about 10 discs with me , some of which would never get played but better safe than sorry.

chezi

something that you know contains killer bass lines that you would like controlled.

something that you think ought to make the hair on the back of your neck stand on end.

something where the silences should be silent and 'black'.

something delicate (female vocal?).

something densly recorded and complex (full scale orchestral) to check for instument separation.

something that you have always loved.

If it sorts out that lot, buy it!

Chemical Brothers - Track 2 of a previous album?? called Under the influence.

Orbital - Dwur Budda, off In-sides

Donald Fagen - night fly.. any track at all

A bit of Zep, Beck, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, to check for ROCKABILITY yesh.. okay... now I am wearing the red troushers and shmoking mebe a leedl weed okay ///...

Then chill with some Reggie... mebe BobM&TW or some shmokin dub

Some jazz, Dave Brubeck take 5,

Stevie ray Vaughan

Stevie Wonder

INXS - The greatest hits (I know the Sax player, Kirk Pengilly is my pal :P) but still a good test album. dun dun dun duddle er de derr de dung..

Gosh.

Things change, as do tastes.

The only albums I ever used to take for demoing was "Tom's Diner" - a compilation of every known version of Tom's Diner by SuzanneVega. The acappella, dance, rock, rap, instrumental, pop and ambient versions were all plastered onto one cd so you could listen for consistency, tightness in the bass, siblance in the squeaky notes, staging of sound and everything else...

And then there was the live Michelle Shocked home-recording (2 trak if it existed?) with dire hiss. The transparency problems would show up with that one, although it was a limited edition cd...

The problem with moderncds which I always bear in mind is the likelihood that everything is recorded DDD and just about everyonein the shop floor will know how dire my music taste is.....ahem..

to be honest i just take a pile of my current most played cd's or LPs, My judgement is always based on how the kit makes me feel about the music i want to hear...

If i was going to demo tomorrow for instance id take

Kasabian,

Massive attack blue lines,

Killers Hot fuss

and maybe some floyd...

Id also make a point of taking an average recording to see how the kit copes, RHCP's for example..

Hawk

Division Bell by PF . Yes i know it will sound good on alot of systems because its a great recording but it will blow your socks off on a great system.

Love over gold Dire Straits . A classic but agreat reviewing tool purely because i know it so well.

Were you at home? 3 cds is enough if you are in a dem and the dealer shouldn't have really let it go that far, I wouldn't have. 8 songs on 3 components could conceivably mean plugging and un-plugging 24 times. Fuck that. If your messing about at home you just please yourself. I use something loud, heavy and complicated like Babe I'm Gonna Leave You by Led Zep, Something fast, dancy and processed like Flawless (Go To The City) by George Michael, and some soft, female accoustic music like San Andreas Fault by Natalie Merchant or Black Is The Colour by Cara Dillon.

some of the following probably:

talking heads - remain in light (lots going on, very lively and complicated)

metro area (electronic but warm and quite minimal)

jose gonzales - veneer (juat a guy and his acoustic guitar)

coltrane - love supreme (awesome drum solos)

massive attack - blue lines ..would be a good one too, yes :)

maybe some theo parrish too

I use

Propellerheads Decksanddrumsandrockandroll (great mix of tunes, lots of stereo effects and nice low bass)

Buddy rich, big swing face (for midrange and horns can sound congested on poor kit, good if looking for realistic drum sound)

Sphongle Tales of th inexpressible (amazing mix of sounds, huge stereo effect, great test for treble, dynamics, and bass)

Rush Moving Pictures (can sound dull on wrong kit)

Nelly furtado folklore (very bright recording, if this one sounds good, they all will)

I just burn myself a CD-R withthe 5-6 tracks I want to listen to, and take that.

OHMSS by Propellerheads (hell yeah, AK)

Black Hole Sun by Lea DeLaria

Any Major Dude by Steely Dan

I Wish by Stevie Wonder

Clevor Trever by Ian Dury & The Blockheads

They're normally all I need to know whether I like things or not

thommo wrote:

I just burn myself a CD-R withthe 5-6 tracks I want to listen to, and take that.

OHMSS by Propellerheads (hell yeah, AK)

yeah especially second half of track, after quiet bit, when that bassy grunty gitar (or whatever) comes in, F' me

Dr Who - what the Orbital Mix? ;)

Personally i always take along music i feel is well recorded - most of the recommendations above are great. However i always take something i like but is (to me) poorly recorded and something that i dont like so much. Anything that can still make music out of the poor recording as well as get the best out of the decent recordings is usually a winner. And if it can make my foot tap or keep me interested in the CD i dont like, even better!