Cal123

Audio Innovations First and Second

On 8/18/2017 at 14:44, Fourlegs said:

I also experimented with installing an uprated heater transformer so that I could use 6SN7 valves instead of the four small valves.

I've previously seen people replace the ECC88 (which is what mine uses) with 6FQ7/6CG7. Is the 6SN7 similar to these? Is it necessary to update the heater transformer to install these? I didn't hear anyone else mention this before, but it would make sense as these tubes do draw more current.

Super Wammer
44 minutes ago, Cal123 said:

I've previously seen people replace the ECC88 (which is what mine uses) with 6FQ7/6CG7. Is the 6SN7 similar to these? Is it necessary to update the heater transformer to install these? I didn't hear anyone else mention this before, but it would make sense as these tubes do draw more current.

From Wiki, "The 1954 6CG7and 6FQ7 are electrically equivalent to the 6SN7, with 9-pin miniature ("Noval") base (RCA, 1951)."

The 6CG7 heater draws the same current as the 6SN7 and the original Audio Innovations transformer is not up to this. At best the voltage drops and at worst you will burn it out. This picture shows the transformer I dropped in. I do not know how much space there is in the First Audio amp.

5999696d43acb_MailAttachment.thumb.jpeg.3ef804e74e0c194882335bd06732763f.jpeg

Thanks for the clarification. Unfortunately, that location is taken up by the second output transformer in my amp. Another reason to keep an eye out for a pair of monoblocks, I suppose.

As I still occasionally find the sound from the AN Dac and AI the First too laid back and lacking bass control, I tried replacing the AN Dac with my Chord Mojo dac. This certainly brought along some control and timing. Tonally, it's not nearly as smooth or refined, though. Then using the Mojo with my P1SE actually turns out to offer a nice balance. It sounds like the P1SE lost some weight and regained a sense of urgency in its way of delivering music. 

Edited by Cal123

Super Wammer
1 hour ago, pieter said:

does anyone knows which transformer is used in the First?

Thanks

Just to help answer your question, are you asking about the mains transformer and are you asking because yours has given up the ghost?