vintageaxeman

Re-capping a solid state Pre-amp. Capacitor recommendations please

35 posts in this topic

I've tried Tentlabs shunt regs In my old CDP and ALW Super Regs In my old Naim gear and If anything, I'd say they actually made the sound worse (Standard regs were LM317/337).

What worked really well In my old Naim preamp was the TeddyReg. I now use them In my Dacmagic and they also work well In that - TeddyReg

5 hours ago, danilo said:

Elna Similcs measure out as best of breed as quality consistent caps. They come in limited sizes tho .

Yes they do, strangely though nichicon caps nearly always seem to measure down on their rated capacitance, never out of the 20% rating but down all the same, mostly the other top brands measure above

Super Wammer

I recapped my Mark Levinson No380 Pre last year with like for like values on all electrolytic due to failure and DC on the output of 1 channel.

I made sure all were 105 deg C with long life specs.

I used Panasonic FR for general Purpose duties, but they have a long life and always measure consistently.

I used Vishay in the PSU stages as they had lower ESR, longer life and higher ripple current rating than the Illinois Capacitor originals that had started to leak.

I also used Epcos and Vishay in some critical places, one of which was a like for like replacement as nobody made an electrolytic to the same spec.

RS Components and Mouser were my suppliers and the Preamp sounds better than it ever has.

Super Wammer
1 hour ago, Fatmarley said:

I've got a big bag of Elna Silmics 2 If anyone wants them. Thought they were ok for the feedback loop In a Naim preamp but rubbish everywhere else.

PM sent.....

This thread is proving highly useful and informative

Edited by vintageaxeman