vintageaxeman

David Gilmour NEW Live at Pompeii show Sept 13th at Cinemas

Recommended Posts

Super Wammer

I couldn't wait that long Rab... due to illness, I wasn't able to make the cinematic spectacle, so this will be my first exposure to the complete gig. Blu-Ray deluxe is due tomorrow, so I'll fire up the HD TV and 5.1 surround system in the front room for that later in the week :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Only bought the boxed LP set. I'll order the DVD off Amazon to blitz the AV system later.

All good things are worth waiting for...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SQ on the CD is awesome. I've not been able to listen to the vinyl yet but expect it'll be superb too,

Saw it at the flicks and wasn't impressed, to be honest - but most likely just a C- sound system, played at moderate volume only. 

The 3rd Bowie box set arrived same day. I'm supposed to be studying...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer

You won't be disappointed with the vinyl Mike... I cannot think of anything better I've done with 1hr and 14mins of my life and the only downside was having to get out of my comfy chair eight times to replace/turn over the vinyl. But even that wasn't a chore. If only every piece of new vinyl was pressed and sounded as good as this :) 

Edited by orbscure

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer
5 hours ago, orbscure said:

Mines just arrived too, the Okki Nokki has done its best and its lined up for a play later today :) 

So do you clean new albums before you play them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer
4 hours ago, rabski said:

Only bought the boxed LP set. I'll order the DVD off Amazon to blitz the AV system later.

All good things are worth waiting for...

That's exactly what I've done....just got the vinyl first...so I don't iss out on it.  Don't know how limited the vinyl release might be. Clearly Gdansk WAS.

But CD Blurays etc inevitably come down in price within a short time....and I don't mind buying them used...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer
5 minutes ago, vintageaxeman said:

So do you clean new albums before you play them?

Yep... always... and after cleaning eight sides and then emptying the cleaner, I'm really glad that I do :) 

Edited by orbscure

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer
1 minute ago, orbscure said:

Yep... always... and after cleaning eight sides and then emptying the cleaner, I'm really glad that I do :) 

Why?  Do you find residue or particles  in the cleaning fluid?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer

Its as much to do with personal preference, but when clean fluid goes on the brand new unplayed record and dirty fluid gets drained out of the machine, its simply makes sense to me :) 

Edited by orbscure

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer

I'm amazed, but enlightened,mate. And I imagine they sound better too? Ever tested that maybe with 2 samples?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer
4 minutes ago, vintageaxeman said:

Why?  Do you find residue or particles  in the cleaning fluid?

All new LPs have a coating of Mould Release Agent, which stops the newly pressed LP sticking to the stamper. This is a waxy substance that attracts dust, so is best removed before playing. A vacuum RCM using an alcohol-based fluid will remove the MRA leaving a pristine LP.

I clean ALL LPs, new or old for that reason. In any event, there's a lot of dust on new LPs and I'll remove that before it gets ground into the vinyl.

S

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer

As Serge says David, I don't think I've ever removed a brand new slab of vinyl from its sealed sleeve and not found dust or debris on it, so it simply makes sense for me to give it a quick clean. Also, quite a few new pressings don't have nice protective inner sleeves, so the clean vinyl invariably goes into a nice new anti-static sleeve ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer
7 minutes ago, SergeAuckland said:

All new LPs have a coating of Mould Release Agent, which stops the newly pressed LP sticking to the stamper. This is a waxy substance that attracts dust, so is best removed before playing. A vacuum RCM using an alcohol-based fluid will remove the MRA leaving a pristine LP.

I clean ALL LPs, new or old for that reason. In any event, there's a lot of dust on new LPs and I'll remove that before it gets ground into the vinyl.

S

I never realised that, Serge and Orb....I might look into getting one for myself.... Thanks for the info.

David

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, vintageaxeman said:

I never realised that, Serge and Orb....I might look into getting one for myself.... Thanks for the info.

David

I probably clean new LPs more than used ones. My experience is that the benefits are substantial at times.

Out of all the bits in my system, my wet-clean machine is the one thing I would never, ever change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Admin
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.