whitehart

Harbeth Owners Club

Super Wammer
22 hours ago, mbabst said:

Has anyone ever compared Harbeth Super HL5s to Piega Coax speakers? I'm thinking of selling my Piegas to get some nice looking Harbeths.

Where are you based? Home demo possible?

Super Wammer

Now on SS stands.. slightly more definition 

CAA622B3-1F38-4604-8A3C-CA4AE667F11F.jpeg

• Like 2

On 30/08/2019 at 00:20, Ian said:

I only recently spotted that the Eucalyptus and Rosewood finished of the P3ESR seem to have crept up to £2k. I'm not saying they're not worth it, but I'm glad I bought mine when I did, which is years ago. Having said that, I'm guessing most owners tend to keep them ?

I suppose it saves the expense of moving to a bigger house for bigger speakers ! So, anyone hear box swapped Harbeths ?

I’m fortunate ... from where I’m from, Malaysia, they cost a mere £1,250. 😬 But price will increase by another 15%-20% soon.

I have been using SHL5+ 40th Anniversary for a couple of weeks which have replaced a pair of 6 year old Kef R500 which I had from new. The clarity from them is stunning, they really are a huge step up in all areas. Using an Arcam A49 amplifier to drive them. Linn K20 cable.20191109_130959.thumb.jpg.3f620411a63e8410fdb0f732f367b9b2.jpg

Unfortunately my 18" Something Solid stands are still on order so I'm using a pair of 20" Linn stands from my local dealer in Belfast. They still sound great but I look forward to lowering them to the correct height. Here's a pic.

Edited by VeraAndPhilharmonic
  • Like 3

I have been using SHL5+ 40th Anniversary for a couple of weeks which have replaced a pair of 6 year old Kef R500 which I had from new. The clarity from them is stunning, they really are a huge step up in all areas. Using an Arcam A49 amplifier to drive them. Linn K20 cable.20191109_130959.thumb.jpg.3f620411a63e8410fdb0f732f367b9b2.jpg

Unfortunately my 18" Something Solid stands are still on order so I'm using a pair of 20" Linn stands from my local dealer in Belfast. They still sound great but I look forward to lowering them to the correct height. Here's a pic.

Great stuff

I'm also from NI, use Lyric, bought Harbeths to replace Kefs (205/2s), had an LP12 back in the day (bought from Lyric), love the sound of the A49 (which reminded me of my MF AMS35i) and liked the R Series a lot.

I had a huge decision to make a while ago: Ex-Dem Ref 3s being driven by my AMS 35i vs Barely used Monitor 40.2s driven temporarily by my Arcam AVR600 (as I had to trade in the AMS 35i, as the way it delivered its power, didn't suit the Harbeths which like lots of Watts, but have a benign Impedance).

After a lot of head scratching and demos, I went for the big Harbeths, now being driven by a Gato DIA 250S (with Akurate DS/K as Source)

If you have suspended wooden floors, I would recommend the Something Solid "Missing Link" Feet.

Enjoy your new toys.

Ps. Did you compare to Standard version, or just take a punt......and what do you think now?

Edited by CnoEvil
  • Like 1

Congrats on the new Harbs... they're wonderful aren't they?!

I've been through SHL5, SHL5+ and now the annies, hope to try the 40.2 some time next year perhaps.

Report back when you've got the stands.

Mac

Cno - I'm unable to reply to individual posts for some reason. The 40.2 are fantastic, I hope you're enjoying them. I once heard a pair in Lyric, I can't remember what was driving them but they sounded great- are they really harder to drive than the Kefs? I imagine you'd need an amp with plenty of grip in the bass to control that big woofer.

Do the Missing Link feet make a big difference then? I've actually ordered a set of Linn Skeets for the spikes to sit into, just because they look better than some coins! How deep are the Link feet? The Skeets are only 6mm or so.

I just took a punt on the annies as Harbeth wouldn't loan Michael a demo pair, but assured him they are a "different animal". I have to go on memory, but I'd say the annis are even more neutral with a clearer mid and tighter more accurate bass.

Edited by VeraAndPhilharmonic

Whitehart - I will report back when I get the stands. In the meantime I'm sitting on a couple of cushions to raise myself to the correct height! 

Cno - I'm unable to reply to individual posts for some reason. The 40.2 are fantastic, I hope you're enjoying them. I once heard a pair in Lyric, I can't remember what was driving them but they sounded great- are they really harder to drive than the Kefs? I imagine you'd need an amp with plenty of grip in the bass to control that big woofer.

Do the Missing Link feet make a big difference then? I've actually ordered a set of Linn Skeets for the spikes to sit into, just because they look better than some coins! How deep are the Link feet? The Skeets are only 6mm or so.

I just took a punt on the annies as Harbeth wouldn't loan Michael a demo pair, but assured him they are a "different animal". I have to go on memory, but I'd say the annis are even more neutral with a clearer mid and tighter more accurate bass.

In order to make the most of the power of the 35i, which only has 35W into 8 Ohms (but doubles power into 4 Ohms and doubles again into 2 Ohms), it likes Speakers with High Sensitivity (88-90dBs) and Low Impedance (below 4 Ohms).....like my old Refs. The Harbeths are the other way round. 

- The feet look like they were designed by Heath Robinson and isolate the "spike shoe" on cord. My floors are suspended and a nightmare  - so I think these help.

- They have a Diameter of about 8 cm and are about 4 cm high....so certainly won't be as neat as the Skeets.

- There is a saving if ordered with the stands.

wp8469a864_05_06.jpg

https://www.decoaudio.com/deco_audio_feet.html

Cheaper than Townsend Podiums too!:^

Hello everyone! Just brought home my pair of P3ESRs (actually, it’s my second pair). Am enjoying them. I do have a pair of LS50s too and frankly, the P3ESR sounds so much more natural. Better sound stage too. 😬

LS50 is great for HT duties I guess. 🙈

F84DF861-321F-4D54-95E5-DDF81ED8CE56.jpeg

• Like 1

great speakers , glad you got them . great fan of the p3esr 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, hifinutt said:

great speakers , glad you got them . great fan of the p3esr 

I bought a pair earlier on but sold them. Guess we will always go back to what’s good. This one’s a keeper for sure.

• Like 1

Super Wammer

@norton, this is us on the forum. You might get some ideas here 👍🏻