whitehart

Harbeth Owners Club

5 minutes ago, CnoEvil said:

If I had a budget of 1k(ish), Croft would be right at the top of the list. It will imo take a doubling of its cost (maybe more), to get a decent upgrade.

FWIW. My advice would be to wait until you have gathered the funds for something like an ex-dem/used Luxman etc.

Thing is i can get the sony and try it,with out selling the Croft.Will do .

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, mattykyuss said:

True.Croft is great.Lfd and Luxman i would realy like.But feel the price would be out of my reach .Luxman 505 ux could make me smile.

one wammer had the 505 with harbs and got fed up with it and changed to the unico primo with very good effect . 

Edited by hifinutt
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, bencat said:

As a long term owner of Compact Moniotors I may well have too small a model to match the amplifier comments above. However I would say that Harbeth like control and drive in preference to just power . I have heard my speakers powered by a Musical Fidelity 500Wt intergrated and they sounded fine but nothing special .

In contrast using my Krell KSA50 with only 50 watt class A they sing and have real power for me at least they go as loud as I can physically stand but maybe others want it louder . So in my view it is more current delivery of the amp than sheer power. One combination I would really love to try is with EAR 509 mono blocks as they have the real drive that would make the Harbeths sing very well indeed . Sadly I am not in any position to afford a pair and do not know anyone who owns a set I could borrow.

Interesting, I used to pair Harbeths with Sugden Masterclass Class A 30W per channel and as great as it was in a lot of respects, the amp couldn't tame the base in the same way my Accuphase does.

Mac

Super Dealer

Gents,

I have a one off opportunity for someone to have a unique pair of Harbeth SHL5+ Anniversary loudspeakers in Silver Eucalyptus, these were manufactured by Harbeth as part of the decision process for what finish the anniversary series were going to be released in. This finish was decided against due to the higher cost of the veneer and in any case was used on the 30.2 loudspeaker.

As these were more expensive to produce and being a one off, Harbeth had to pay a higher price for the cabinets to be produced so unfortunately they are £1k more that the anniversary speakers - given the performance upgrade over the standard loudspeakers I am sure someone would love to have these unique speakers (World not just UK). They are available now and are £5475.

I figured that I would offer them to the members of the Harbeth group first since you guys have been more than kind to support my business in the past. If anyone is interested please give me a shout or drop me and email.   

Regards

Trevor

• Like 1

Super Wammer

Hi Mac I like Sugden amps and they can sound really good with the right speaker but they have never had great bass control . Jus tbecause two amplifiers are class a does not make them similar. Krells could crush a steam roller and have more than enough current to pile drive the coils through a bass unit (I inow this from real life experience) . While the Krell is very easy on the ear they grip like a vice on drive units which I think is good for the Harbeths and brings out the hidden boogie factor that is oftne missing .

Having said all that I would also say that a good Quad 405 will drive them very well indeed and too many people under estimate how compentent that Power Amplifier is. I have a Netgear refurbed unit which is even better in the bass department . It does work well with the Harbeths but not as good as the Krell .

11 hours ago, bencat said:

Hi Mac I like Sugden amps and they can sound really good with the right speaker but they have never had great bass control . Jus tbecause two amplifiers are class a does not make them similar. Krells could crush a steam roller and have more than enough current to pile drive the coils through a bass unit (I inow this from real life experience) . While the Krell is very easy on the ear they grip like a vice on drive units which I think is good for the Harbeths and brings out the hidden boogie factor that is oftne missing .

Having said all that I would also say that a good Quad 405 will drive them very well indeed and too many people under estimate how compentent that Power Amplifier is. I have a Netgear refurbed unit which is even better in the bass department . It does work well with the Harbeths but not as good as the Krell .

Ah I see, I didn't know that about Sugden... the IA-4 had a lot going for it, particularly sublime vocals, but I couldn't live with that bloated base.

I've only heard a lower priced Krell intigrated and it wasn't class A, but wasn't impressed with it, but from how you describe their Class A's they sound ideal... the other reasons I let the Sugden go was the heat it generated and the drain on electricity.

Does the Krell run very warm?

Mac