whitehart

Harbeth club

On 15/05/2018 at 19:40, Chivas said:

More importantly, how do they sound?

Oh man...

It's taken me a few days to just get over "they don't sound like my last speakers" which I had been so accustomed too for years.

They just make beautiful music. Voices just spill out so easily.

You can turn them right up and they never get shrill, yet they are never dull.

As for the bass I commented on earlier - I think it's just a case of my ears getting accustomed to the different nature of the way it's presented. It's all there alright. I played Rush's Camera Eye and it sounded massive.

And just earlier, for contrast, some Joe Cocker, and it was like he was in the room.

Hard to believe that such an unassuming boxy thing can sound like this. 

Oh man...
It's taken me a few days to just get over "they don't sound like my last speakers" which I had been so accustomed too for years.
They just make beautiful music. Voices just spill out so easily.
You can turn them right up and they never get shrill, yet they are never dull.
As for the bass I commented on earlier - I think it's just a case of my ears getting accustomed to the different nature of the way it's presented. It's all there alright. I played Rush's Camera Eye and it sounded massive.
And just earlier, for contrast, some Joe Cocker, and it was like he was in the room.
Hard to believe that such an unassuming boxy thing can sound like this. 

It's great to hear that you are happy with them and that your leap of faith was rewarded. Those are fab speakers that you got yourself. The thing about Harbeths that get me every time is what a massive sound they produce for their relatively modest size - like you said, it's hard to believe that the sounds you hear come from that little box

They also don't do imaging in a hifi sense, which I prefer. Overall I'd say they are just natural sounding - the way things ought to sound

Your M30.1's aren't renowned for thundering bass (although I think there is ample), bit they've got the sweetest top end and the whole spectrum is very nicely in balance.

You will be happy for many years to come!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Driving me mad trying to remove the grilles. I know it doesn't matter that much, but hey, I want a peak.

I bought an 11kg magnet but it just doesn't grab. It's almost as though the grille frame isn't even magnetic.

There's no space at all to insert any kind of implement to tease them out except in the corners, and that would involve crushing the veneer as you'd have to use the cabinet to get some leverage.

It does seem to be an odd design choice they way they have approached this. Surely, on occasion, the factory must need to remove the grilles, so how on earth do they do it?

Go on the Harbeth forum.Alan is on there alot.He can help you ,then tell you off ha ha

Inspired by the now deleted and very expensive Skylan magnet gadget for removing the grilles, I made my own such contraption.

I bought some neodymium magnets from ebay (£2.99 for ten) and hot glued them on to a little plastic bracket I had in my parts box. I made a messy job of it.

Anyway, it did the trick. I just lined it up with the corner of the grille and bit by bit, eased it off. It didn't get as good a hold as I would have liked - maybe I should have got bigger and more powerful magnets. But at least I now got to look behind the grilles. And very classy they look too, in an old-school way.

And to be honest, I can't hear any difference. 

magnet.jpg

Edited by keiron99

Super Wammer

i have always been told they are supposed to be heard with grills on but its nice to know all is in order underneath , you could market that invention of yours !!