The site will be out of service again for further upgrades regarding security fixes. Work will be carried out between 4.30am and 5.30am tomorrow morning. We apologise for the inconvenience.

whitehart

Accuphase Owners Club

Recommended Posts

I would have thought that not turning the volume knob was also something you experienced with the E470. I think the presettings are about giving you better control over volume but not much else. If you find it difficult to find the right volume when listening you might want to reduce the output from the pre-amp but to be honest, I am just guessing here. In what way do you feel your new combo gives your a better music experience than your previous E470?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mblssmp2 said:

I would have thought that not turning the volume knob was also something you experienced with the E470. I think the presettings are about giving you better control over volume but not much else. If you find it difficult to find the right volume when listening you might want to reduce the output from the pre-amp but to be honest, I am just guessing here. In what way do you feel your new combo gives your a better music experience than your previous E470?

****************

Not quite as noticeable as on the C2420.

I'm loathed to say if it's better, as the E470 is a special integrated, but there is a bolder feel to the sound with a bigger soundstage and vocals are a touch more natural.  I don't know if it's technically possible, but the sq is warmer, almost Class A like.

Mac

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, whitehart said:

****************

Not quite as noticeable as on the C2420.

I'm loathed to say if it's better, as the E470 is a special integrated, but there is a bolder feel to the sound with a bigger soundstage and vocals are a touch more natural.  I don't know if it's technically possible, but the sq is warmer, almost Class A like.

Mac

Would you say it has a tighter grip on the bass....making it punchier, with more authority and definition?

Edited by CnoEvil
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer
4 hours ago, whitehart said:

Initial observations/thoughts:

I barely have to turn the volume pot to 7 O'clock and it's at comfortable listening levels, but it does soun excellent at 8, don't want to upset my new neighbours already though.

A couple of features I've not come across before... on the pre it has a dial with 3 gain settings 12 18 and 24 and on the poweramp it has another gain controlthat is marked minus max, minus 3DB, minus 6DB and minus 12DB... excuse my ignorance, but is there a correct position to have these controls in?

Mac

If you need more rotation of the volume to control it properly then the lower gain on the preamp, or one of the minus settings on the power amp should achieve that.  I’ve no specific knowledge of the product but that’s what I’d expect their function to be.

As long as you makes any changes with the volume at zero, there’s no risk in trying various permutations.  Then start turning the volume up carefully to gauge the effect on a known recording.  I’d be aiming for about half the available volume rotation for your normal loudest requirements, as a rough guide. 

Apologies if I’m teaching you to suck eggs!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Nopiano said:

If you need more rotation of the volume to control it properly then the lower gain on the preamp, or one of the minus settings on the power amp should achieve that.  I’ve no specific knowledge of the product but that’s what I’d expect their function to be.

As long as you makes any changes with the volume at zero, there’s no risk in trying various permutations.  Then start turning the volume up carefully to gauge the effect on a known recording.  I’d be aiming for about half the available volume rotation for your normal loudest requirements, as a rough guide. 

Apologies if I’m teaching you to suck eggs!  

****************

Not at all, sometimes with you guys and your knowledge, I feel like a novice and always grateful for  any input.

Mac

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, CnoEvil said:

Would you say it has a tighter grip on the bass....making it punchier, with more authority and definition?

**************

I'm not sure that it does to be honest Cno, just a more bolder sound and at times when I decrease the gain it loses something in the overall sound... got the pre at 18 and poweramp at max

Mac

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today, it seems to have all fallen into place, that tighter base you mentioned Cno is much more evident... definitely gives a bigger sound with more depth than the E470.

Mac

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like you are now getting from it what one would expect. Accuphase certainly always gives you more when you spend more. Equally, when they do an upgrade of a model it is really noticeably better even though sometimes one thinks this is not possible. What can happen then is that a lower model but updated one can outperform the next model up which is from the previous generation. I have to say,. I have not tested this myself but go with the advise I received. Apparently, the difference between the DP-560 and the DP-720 was actually quite small but the DP-750 has increased the gap again. 

I have noticed that your E470 is now up for sale on the AudioWorks website. 

As I mentioned before, I have invested in the distribution box and main cables from MusicWorks, which had a massive effect on my system. It is quite astonishing how much you can further improve your system with getting the power supply correct and also isolating your electronics from noise/vibration.  The cables and box were quite expensive but still only 1/2 to 1/3 of what one can pay for such things when one buys the established brands and tries to achieve similar quality. The latest development they have done is a new composite shelf, which they are starting to sell now. I tried out one to put under my DP-560 already using their shelf system with the PEEK uprights. The effect of just that single composite shelf are astonishing and I know I am not the only customer who is completely taken by it. They are still experimenting with the best way of supporting this new composite shelf, but even with just placing it between the CD player and the standard shelf they sell, it is already an incredible improvement. It is like having upgraded your CD player. It feels that my DP-560 now provides much higher resolution. I suspect that over the next few months I will invest more in this.   

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whoever buys the E470 will not be disappointed and it's going for a decent price.

The pre/power combo continues to astound me with its much improved weight, depth to the music and overall bigger soundstage.

Would love to hear one of the Accuphase high end CDP's

Mac

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, hifinutt said:

It does look lovely , did you have it from new ?

*********************

No not brand new, but the pre was ex demo still within warrantee and the poweramp 2/3 years old lightly used, so I don't think it's a case of burn in, more that I'm more aware of their attributes and getting the gain settings correct helped, as one would expect.

Mac

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Mac,

I understand the E-470 did not have the AD-50 option board installed. May I ask what phono stage you were using with it, if at all you were.

Also I am seeing an E-350 (from Germany) at literally half the price the 470 is listed for? As you have owned both, any tips on whether the 350 is worth the bargain over the 470? I am literally starting off building my Accuphase stack and have the DP-560 to buy which is going to be expensive. 

Cheers

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, zenyatta80 said:

Hi Mac,

I understand the E-470 did not have the AD-50 option board installed. May I ask what phono stage you were using with it, if at all you were.

Also I am seeing an E-350 (from Germany) at literally half the price the 470 is listed for? As you have owned both, any tips on whether the 350 is worth the bargain over the 470? I am literally starting off building my Accuphase stack and have the DP-560 to buy which is going to be expensive. 

Cheers

************

Hi There,

Go for it, the E350 is still a superb amp.

No I don't have a phono stage... would love to hear the EDP560

Keep us informed on your Accuphase journey... which speakers will you be using?

Mac

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.