whitehart

Accuphase Owners Club

On 07/06/2019 at 07:38, whitehart said:

I have a chance to trade in my E470 for the C2420 an P4200 at a very good price.  I've never owned a pre/power combo, would I be mad to turn this down?

Mac

Have you got them yet ? They do look lovely but I just wonder if it's worth all the hassle of extra complexity ?

On ‎13‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 19:18, hifinutt said:

Have you got them yet ? They do look lovely but I just wonder if it's worth all the hassle of extra complexity ?

It's something that has crossed my mind, but I doubt I'll get another chance to buy such a pair of amps at such a great price, so feel I must go for it.  Worst comes to the worst, I'm sure I can sell them on without too much loss.

Mac

Yes , sounds good , that e470 will sell fast . my dealer offered my a 600 something about a year ago , wish i had taken up the offer !! mind you the sugden i have at the moment is pretty good . be interesting to compare your integrated with it [ a21se]  

14 hours ago, hifinutt said:

Yes , sounds good , that e470 will sell fast . my dealer offered my a 600 something about a year ago , wish i had taken up the offer !! mind you the sugden i have at the moment is pretty good . be interesting to compare your integrated with it [ a21se]  

I do like Sugden, used to own the IA4 Masterclass and vocals sounded particularly lifelike, but it failed to control the base well enough in my old listening room, plus I got fed up with the heat it gave off.

Mac

• Like 1

Thanks , been quite happy with the amount of heat from the a21se , I guess both the tannoy and the impulse are pretty sensitive so it controls bass superbly . reminded of grandinote but a lot cheaper . Accuphase and Luxman on the bucket list now 

UPS strike again! waited in all day an no amps!  had to raise query through FB and Twitter and they can't do anything till tomorrow, fed up from Sussex here.

Mac

• Sad 1

Super Wammer

I feel your pain. Very frustrating when that happens, and all too often.

Hope you enjoy the amps when they finally arrive - the P4200 is a belter and I nearly bought one about three years ago, went for Class A Plinius instead.

• Like 2

Super Wammer
1 minute ago, whitehart said:

Still waiting! but at least I've actually managed to get a call back from UPS and they have told me that delivry should be made between 2 and 5.

Mac

My fingers are crossed for you, Mac!

Initial observations/thoughts:

I barely have to turn the volume pot to 7 O'clock and it's at comfortable listening levels, but it does soun excellent at 8, don't want to upset my new neighbours already though.

A couple of features I've not come across before... on the pre it has a dial with 3 gain settings 12 18 and 24 and on the poweramp it has another gain controlthat is marked minus max, minus 3DB, minus 6DB and minus 12DB... excuse my ignorance, but is there a correct position to have these controls in?

Mac