whitehart

Accuphase Owners Club

I have the Audiomica Dolomit Reference. I got pre-used ones for free when I bought the speaker from them. 

14 hours ago, whitehart said:

I've got a pair of Auditorium 23's

Mac

I've tried that cables in my system but i couldn't hear any difference compared with my QED79, so I returned them to the owner ... I did not have the power supply that I have now, so, it might be possible to be a  "good match" which I've missed ...

I'll ask my friend to borrow it one more time ...

On 27/01/2019 at 21:01, lordu73 said:

Accuphase is able to receive a signal up to 24/192 via toslink. It is not limited to 24/96. 

Like I said, I am able to play 24/192 via Toslink, but I don't understand how.

The specifications for toslink  port is 24/96. I've checked one more time in the manual.

http://www.accuphase.com/cat/dp-550_e.pdf

Strange ....

I've noticed that the most important cable in my system is the power chord ( and power distributor as well ). It has the biggest influence on the sound. Just now I am using DIY cables, built with Furutech Alpha3 cable and Neotech terminations (gold) . Furutech terminations might be better match, but Neotech is cheaper.Best lenght it seems to be 1,8m.

For power distributor i got an Inakustic (the cheapest as well, 120EUR). It has a slight coloration, probably from the rodium,  but i don't dislike-it after all ...

In the competition was SUPRA MD06 EU, very  neutral , good stuff. But i decided to use Inakustic. Probably as i try a new cable, I have to test again all the power supply to see which one matches ...

It is great when you have the skills to DIY these things. I think my next step will be to test high end powder chord and power distribution. The shop I have managed have designed their own and I will be able to take them home and test them for a week. They have developed them over many years and in the high end person they use an industrial high strength polymer for all the screws etc to eliminate any metal where not needed. I still have a Melco attached to my DP-560 but I hardly every use it as the sound from a CD is just so great. I thought I might use the Melco for Tidal but I have noticed that when I have the time to sit down and listen, I want to have the best sound quality, i.e. CD. So I am planning of selling the Melco and I should be able to use the money towards the high end powder cords and distribution.

23 hours ago, Mblssmp2 said:

It is great when you have the skills to DIY these things. I think my next step will be to test high end powder chord and power distribution. The shop I have managed have designed their own and I will be able to take them home and test them for a week. They have developed them over many years and in the high end person they use an industrial high strength polymer for all the screws etc to eliminate any metal where not needed. I still have a Melco attached to my DP-560 but I hardly every use it as the sound from a CD is just so great. I thought I might use the Melco for Tidal but I have noticed that when I have the time to sit down and listen, I want to have the best sound quality, i.e. CD. So I am planning of selling the Melco and I should be able to use the money towards the high end powder cords and distribution.

Yes, do so ! You will be surprised of how much a power chord can influence the sound. You should start with the Amplifier, that's the key. You should have at least 2 kind of cables, just to compare them. Both CD and Amp has to be connected in the same distributor. Personally, I prefer the Amp to be the first in the chain (first spot from the power cable). You can check this also:

https://www.hifi-advice.com/blog/audiop ... the-sound/

Phase is important as well. I use a song with female voice ( you can use an multimeter as well) to check the phase. Phase is correct when you get the voice focused.

Once you finish with the amplifier you can move to CD and try to "further improve" the tonality.

In my case, I've used Neotech gold terminations (Shuco and IEC) because of the price.I think gold is a good match with Accu, however once you finish with your system please let us know what did you decided to use and why ...

I wish you the best of luck !!!

Edited by lordu73

Found another interesting discussion about AC:

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/furutech-vs-neotech-gold-plated-schuko-sound-quality

I am only using Neotech gold plated everywhere, and i do not have any problem with that ( no harsh , no solid state sound )

I would say that my system sounds a bit on the warm side ...

Edited by lordu73

On Saturday I went to my dealer and borrowed his top quality main cables and distribution block. The impact of these is really astonishing. Everything he gave me is from Musicworks, which is their own label and they have developed their products for many years. He told me to first only use the distribution block with one of the high quality cables to the socket while keeping the simpler cables going to the DP-560 and the E-600. The change was already astonishing with the music now much more engaging. It was as if a cloud, which I had not been aware of being present, had been lifted. I went back and forth, played plenty of different music, some emphasis on piano concertos as I find piano music always the clearest to recognise improved time coherency. After an hour or so I added the second high quality mains to now connect the CD player to the block. Again, the change was very obvious but now I started to feel far more energy coming from the music. The third cable, the one going to the amp, further enhanced the energy and it was now very noticeable how much sharper drums and bass had become. Any instrument in the background, which was hardly audible before, became very easy to hear now. 

I don't think it is possible to fully appreciate the difference very good main cables and distribution block do until one has heard the transformation they provide. The cables are not cheap but they are in fact only a fraction of the very expensive ones from the common brands. According to my dealer, and he has invited me to do the comparison myself, their own branded cables are better. 

Super Wammer
20 minutes ago, Mblssmp2 said:

On Saturday I went to my dealer and borrowed his top quality main cables and distribution block. The impact of these is really astonishing. Everything he gave me is from Musicworks, which is their own label and they have developed their products for many years. He told me to first only use the distribution block with one of the high quality cables to the socket while keeping the simpler cables going to the DP-560 and the E-600. The change was already astonishing with the music now much more engaging. It was as if a cloud, which I had not been aware of being present, had been lifted. I went back and forth, played plenty of different music, some emphasis on piano concertos as I find piano music always the clearest to recognise improved time coherency. After an hour or so I added the second high quality mains to now connect the CD player to the block. Again, the change was very obvious but now I started to feel far more energy coming from the music. The third cable, the one going to the amp, further enhanced the energy and it was now very noticeable how much sharper drums and bass had become. Any instrument in the background, which was hardly audible before, became very easy to hear now. 

I don't think it is possible to fully appreciate the difference very good main cables and distribution block do until one has heard the transformation they provide. The cables are not cheap but they are in fact only a fraction of the very expensive ones from the common brands. According to my dealer, and he has invited me to do the comparison myself, their own branded cables are better. 

The real test, to eliminate your expectation bias (which we all have), will be when after a week you switch back. If the sound is much worse then you’ll have made a fine discovery. If it isn’t, then you were just seduced by the excitement of trying something new and listening extra closely. 

Just now, Mblssmp2 said:

Very good, I am following the subject with huge interest !!!

We are Accuphase owners, we can't just plug the Accuphase in like the grangmoom plugs in she's radio from the 70's....

It is like if  you own a ferrari, is not guaranteed that you will become the best driver in town by buying that car.

You need to put effort in this passion and to "learn" about a "good sound". You should also try to swap the Phase and the Neutral. I wonder how you do this with your UK connectors ....   :))

@Nopiano I am 100% sure it is not placebo. AC cables are the most sensitive cables for an Accuphase.

In the UK we have 3 pin plugs and I am told there is no difference then. 

Yes, this is not a placebo effect. Even my teenage boys immediately noted the difference without me mentioning that I had changed the mains cables. I am still almost in shock about the impact these cable have. I have discussed with the guys who make these cables how they have developed them and it is rather interesting. Instead of trying to measure things they simply sat down and listened to music. Their measurement instruments are their ears. Subjective or not, well it was more than one person, I believe a whole group of people, they tried to develop a cable that gives them the greatest pleasure and engagement when listening to music. These guys also go to plenty of jazz and classical concerts and know what instruments sound like. They would love to know why their cables work in the way they do in order to sound less silly. In their search for the greatest musicality, they even found that 1.8 m and 3.6 m cable length gives them the best sound quality, with 3.6 slightly better than 1.8 but anything in-between being worse. Needless to say, they have no explanation for it but it is a fascinating find.

I am sure most people who read here think this is all very silly. There are things you have to experience and it seems in the world of music reproduction some observations are impossible to explain. It might be that in reality the physical differences these cables make are tiny but that our ears are such sensitive instruments which make out these tiny differences and we experience them as very important differences.