whitehart

Accuphase Owners Club

Big Accuphase article in issue 10 here...

https://www.fidelity-magazine.com/

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, terrycym said:

Big Accuphase article in issue 10 here...

https://www.fidelity-magazine.com/

Thanks for this, do you have to have an account to be able to read it?

Mac

Hello there !

I am an Accuphase E470 owner, combined with Accu DP550 via Accuphase balanced cables, and Harbeth SHL5 speakers.

The sound is fantastic, but still, I*m sure it can be improved with the right cables.

Just now I am using a very cheap QED 79 speaker cables.

Please share your experience with different cables, any suggestion would be very appreciated !

Super Wammer
15 hours ago, lordu73 said:

Hello there !

I am an Accuphase E470 owner, combined with Accu DP550 via Accuphase balanced cables, and Harbeth SHL5 speakers.

The sound is fantastic, but still, I*m sure it can be improved with the right cables.

Please share your experience with different cables, any suggestion would be very appreciated !

Hello and welcome!  Your 79 strand are probably fine, certainly if you judge by basic electrical parameters. 

I believe I’ve read that Harbeth use Van Damme LC-OFC cable inside their speakers.  I use the the 4mm version for my ATCs which I’ve been very pleased with - and I think that would be a sound choice for yours too. 

Edited by Nopiano
Typo

Yes, you are right, i shall try the Van Damme cable  and see if any difference.

However, this is entry level cable. I am using another entry level (QED79) so i am not expecting any night/day difference between the two. I was thinking to give a try  to another cable "league" so to speak ...

Like Audioquest, or whatever else ....

13 hours ago, lordu73 said:

Hello there !

If you're set on changing cables, Nopiano's suggestion will be all you need.

I too have the E470/Harbeth combo, but my Harbs are the SHL5+ 40th anniversary model... if finances allow, for the biggest improvement, upgrade your speakers to at least the SHL5+, but if you can lay hands on the anniversaries, even better.

Mac

Super Wammer
2 hours ago, lordu73 said:

Yes, you are right, i shall try the Van Damme cable  and see if any difference.

However, this is entry level cable. I am using another entry level (QED79) so i am not expecting any night/day difference between the two. I was thinking to give a try  to another cable "league" so to speak ...

Like Audioquest, or whatever else ....

If you really want to try a premium-priced product, then I’d suggest finding either a friendly dealer who will lend you a set or two - or by going to Russ Andrews, who offers a 60 day home trial, for something like this:-

https://www.russandrews.com/kimber-8tc-speaker-cable-kimber-bananas-31839990101/

There are numerous other cable people around who will let you have a trial, but I’ve used RA, so I know they can be relied upon. 

3 hours ago, whitehart said:

if finances allow, for the biggest improvement, upgrade your speakers to at least the SHL5+, but if you can lay hands on the anniversaries, even better.

Mac

My mistake, sorry, I already have the + version

Upgrade to anniversaries is very improbable ....

Yeap, thank you for the advice !!! I think I will order the 4mm Van Dammes immediately...

Any suggestions about the interconnects ? I've tried out an optical fiber (plastic, 3 eur) and the result was not bad at all .... ( from Node2 to DAC40) .Sound was first at all CLEAN, not very dynamic and engaging as WW Platinum 7 coax, but clean and free from "treble noise". Next step for me is to try a glass fiber (ordered WW Supernova 7 )

Edited by lordu73

I can only encourage people to go to a good dealer and buy cables from them rather than just through the internet. It is really important to try out things and obtain good advice. Anybody who has spent big money on Accuphase equipment should understand that it is all about the system. I live in the NorthWest of England and I have a fantastic independent dealer who introduced me to Accuphase and who has saved me plenty of money over the years as he tries out equipment but then only takes things into his programme that really work with the equipment he sells. When I bought my DP-560 he threw in a pre-used Audiomica interconnect. Had I heard about them before? No. But he has tested many cables over the years (I am sure he has not tested everything) and he has come to the conclusion that Audiomica cables are best for keeping time coherency to provide a highly musical system when using Accuphase. So it is important to find a dealer you trust and who cares about music. Probably the best dealers play an instrument and understand music. Before we arrived at me ordering the DP-560 my dealer also demonstrated to me the impact of hifi racks, power distribution sockets and main cables. In fact, very good main cables seem to have the greatest effect. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mblssmp2 said:

...  Before we arrived at me ordering the DP-560 my dealer also demonstrated to me the impact of hifi racks, power distribution sockets and main cables. In fact, very good main cables seem to have the greatest effect. 

Yes, that's true, main cables  are extremely important.In my system, the Amplifier (E470)  supply cable have the biggest influence on the sound.

The way you " phase" the devices (supply from the socket)  it is of the same importance.

Generally,  It is much easy to destroy a good sound than to obtain one ...

Thank you for sharing your experience! Not all of us have a good dealer around 

About the FO connection (good to know) :

Accuphase is able to receive a signal up to 24/192 via toslink. It is not limited to 24/96. Tested with NODE2 toslink output ...

Edited by lordu73

True, not everybody has a good dealer nearby but people who still have this luxury should support them. My UK dealer is happy to send Accuphase electronics all over the UK for people to test. I think he only charges £30 for the shipping costs, which I think is super cheap. So people can try out at home even when they live in the South of England or the North of Scotland. He does this also for cables, even pre-used ones. 

On ‎27‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 19:36, Mblssmp2 said:

True, not everybody has a good dealer nearby but people who still have this luxury should support them. My UK dealer is happy to send Accuphase electronics all over the UK for people to test. I think he only charges £30 for the shipping costs, which I think is super cheap. So people can try out at home even when they live in the South of England or the North of Scotland. He does this also for cables, even pre-used ones. 

What's the dealer called?

Mac