whitehart

Accuphase Owners Club

On 12/08/2018 at 16:38, Nopiano said:

Indeed, RTS are still listed as UK distributors by Accuphase themselves.  But the website says it hasn’t been updated since 2012, so I can only think it’s a placeholder rather than a serious endeavour - the website, that is!  

I too find it extraordinary that there isn’t better distribution here.   Jeremy Baldwin of The Right Note in Bath used to carry the brand, but I’m going back a couple of decades. 

I Emailed that distributer about dealers in the UK and it turns out there's 3... Audioworks in Cheshire Audio Republic in Leeds and HM Solutions in London, so not quite as sparse as I thought.

Mac

Super Wammer

That’s better than I’d thought too, Mac.  Thanks for the info, and great to meet you here!

34 minutes ago, Nopiano said:

That’s better than I’d thought too, Mac.  Thanks for the info, and great to meet you here!

Likewise!

Mac

On 13/08/2018 at 21:18, whitehart said:

I Emailed that distributer about dealers in the UK and it turns out there's 3... Audioworks in Cheshire Audio Republic in Leeds and HM Solutions in London, so not quite as sparse as I thought.

Mac

It is unfortunate that some really good brands either suffer or have suffered from pretty ropey distribution in the UK. Common scenario is that the distributor is under-capitalised and will order stock only when a firm order is received. Er, Catch -22. 

The real downside is the long-term damage which can be done to the brand, from which it can take a long time to recover, even assuming an actual grown-up running a proper business takes over.

One dealer who stopped stocking Accuphase 2 or 3 years ago put it down to the exchange rate between the yen and the pound... not something I follow to be honest, so don't know if it's still the case.

I enquired about doing a trade in for the E600 last year, but when I was quoted 10K, immediately forgot it, prices for the brand have rocketed that's for sure.

Mac

All this highend stuff has become exceptionally expensive. Accuphase does actually not stand out when compared with other brands in this sort of league. Accuphase sells quite well in Germany, the US and of course in Japan. If you want to buy the entry level CD player you have to wait for several months as they have capacity issues. Accuphase only employes  about 80-90 people. The Cheadle dealer believes that Accuphase is simply not really pushing hard into the UK market as they already have enough challenges serving the existing market. I was lucky enough to get an  3 year old E600 for just over £4k and recently bought the DP-560 and the Cheadle dealer also advised me very well on all the other little things you need to make sure are right to get a time coherent system. I won't be able to buy anything for the next few years as I am pretty broke now but I have never in my life enjoyed listening to music to the extend I do now. 

Super Wammer

This may be well known, but added for interest for those who haven't seen it :) 

On 29/08/2018 at 16:06, Mblssmp2 said:

All this highend stuff has become exceptionally expensive. Accuphase does actually not stand out when compared with other brands in this sort of league. Accuphase sells quite well in Germany, the US and of course in Japan. If you want to buy the entry level CD player you have to wait for several months as they have capacity issues. Accuphase only employes  about 80-90 people. The Cheadle dealer believes that Accuphase is simply not really pushing hard into the UK market as they already have enough challenges serving the existing market. I was lucky enough to get an  3 year old E600 for just over £4k and recently bought the DP-560 and the Cheadle dealer also advised me very well on all the other little things you need to make sure are right to get a time coherent system. I won't be able to buy anything for the next few years as I am pretty broke now but I have never in my life enjoyed listening to music to the extend I do now. 

You got a great deal there for the E600... which speakers do you use?

Mac

9 hours ago, Mblssmp2 said:

I have ATC SMC40. I listened to a wide range of speakers and fell in love with them the first time I heard them. 

That's interesting, I used to own the original SCM40's, not the newer curbed model, but that was in a different set up, Sugden Masterclass and Naim CDX2 and only kept them 6 months.  I found them fantastic with electronic music, but with acoustic, they were way to lean and flat, so changed to Harbeth... would be interesting to hear how I would find them with Accuphase though.

Mac

Interesting. I probably did experience something similar. I first had the SCM40 with a Naim Uniti-2 and I listened a lot to electronic music. I thought it was a phase I was going through but thinking about it now it might have been that the system simply did not engage me enough to listen to more acoustic music. The Accuphase amp together with the CD player, the rack and the extension cable block have fundamentally changed this now. I think it is really all about the system and making it phase coherent. Accuphase is about this as the name already says and then there are other parts in your system that can help to retain this phase coherency such as the rack and the cables. Now my system with the ATC speakers is so musical that I want to listen to a lot of acoustic music because it feels like having the instruments in the room. I put in a CD now and want to listen to it from start to finish, which I have never has like this before. I think without my dealer in Cheadle who guided me without ever trying to influence me I would have never got to this point.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mblssmp2 said:

Interesting. I probably did experience something similar. I first had the SCM40 with a Naim Uniti-2 and I listened a lot to electronic music. I thought it was a phase I was going through but thinking about it now it might have been that the system simply did not engage me enough to listen to more acoustic music. The Accuphase amp together with the CD player, the rack and the extension cable block have fundamentally changed this now. I think it is really all about the system and making it phase coherent. Accuphase is about this as the name already says and then there are other parts in your system that can help to retain this phase coherency such as the rack and the cables. Now my system with the ATC speakers is so musical that I want to listen to a lot of acoustic music because it feels like having the instruments in the room. I put in a CD now and want to listen to it from start to finish, which I have never has like this before. I think without my dealer in Cheadle who guided me without ever trying to influence me I would have never got to this point.

Good to hear, that's exactly how I feel about the Harbeth/Accuphase combo... just to clarify, are yours the  newer  ATC's?

I'd love to be able to hear an Accuphase CDP for myself.

Mac

Yes, my ATCs are the new ones and the issue of not being able to easily listen an Accuphase CD player where you live takes you back to your original point you made. It is interesting that Accuphase is more accessible in the North than the South of England. I would have expected it the other way around.

But there is HM Solutions in London

10 hours ago, terrycym said:

But there is HM Solutions in London

yes, true, but I would only be wasteing the dealers time, as I'm sadly not in a position to spend that kind of cash at the moment, if ever!

Mac