whitehart

Accuphase Owners Club

The only dealer I'm aware to stock Accuphase in the UK are The Audio Works in Cheshire.

I'm interested in the Accuphase DAC50 to go in the back of my E470... has anyone heard one, or actually own one?  Would be interested in your thoughts.

It would have to be a lot better than the excellent Audiolab M DAC+ that I own now for me to change

I doubt that the Accuphase DAC card would give you significant improvements. I guess you are interested because it would be a very neat solution. However, the DAC you have is in a similar price range to the DAC50 and it is hard to imagine that you would then notice a big difference. What is in fact also very important is how you feed the digital signal to the DAC. For example, something like a Melco will give you an improvement over a simple computer setup.

Ultimately, you have to listen to things before you buy them. It remains a mystery to me why Accuphase is such a top secret in the UK.  I am lucky enough to live only 20 minutes away from the Audio Works shop. If you have the chance,  go and visit them. It is really worth it. If you come from far, they will sit down with you and offer you a whole day audition. This is what they love doing. You just need to arrange it with them. However, they don't store the DAC50 card, because they don't see this as the optimum solution for such high-quality amplifier such as yours. A few months ago I was also looking into getting a DAC50 card for my E600 but I have now ended up with something very different.

On ‎15‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 09:55, Mblssmp2 said:

I doubt that the Accuphase DAC card would give you significant improvements. I guess you are interested because it would be a very neat solution. However, the DAC you have is in a similar price range to the DAC50 and it is hard to imagine that you would then notice a big difference. What is in fact also very important is how you feed the digital signal to the DAC. For example, something like a Melco will give you an improvement over a simple computer setup.

Ultimately, you have to listen to things before you buy them. It remains a mystery to me why Accuphase is such a top secret in the UK.  I am lucky enough to live only 20 minutes away from the Audio Works shop. If you have the chance,  go and visit them. It is really worth it. If you come from far, they will sit down with you and offer you a whole day audition. This is what they love doing. You just need to arrange it with them. However, they don't store the DAC50 card, because they don't see this as the optimum solution for such high-quality amplifier such as yours. A few months ago I was also looking into getting a DAC50 card for my E600 but I have now ended up with something very different.

Thanks for the reply... I was thinking about cutting down on box count as much as anything to be honest, but if no appreciable improvement in SQ, I'll stick with the M DAC+ for now

Would love to visit the store, bit of a trek from Kent though

does the E600 run very hot?

I use an Innuous Zenith MK2 streamer

What route did you take?

Yes, quite a track that is. It is astonishing that there is only one Accuphase dealer in the entire UK. I believe in Germany there are about 60 and in France about 30. I recently visited an Accuphase dealer in Hannover and he did simply not believe me that there is only one Accuphase dealer in the UK. 

The E600 does not run hot at all, just a bit warm. So, this is really not an issue. But I would not fret about E470 or E600. The E470 is a fantastic amp. I have listened to it at Audioworks several times. What is actually of importance is the entire system. If I had not ended up with a second-hand E600 that was given to me, I would have most likely bought a new E270 or maybe the E370 in order to have money to buy an appropriate digital source.  This is actually very important to fully appreciate Accuphase. I now have an Accuphase DP-560 CD player, which was a very difficult investment for me as a) I thought streaming is the way to go and b) the DP-560 costs a lot of money. The DP-430 is also very good but in the end, I decided to wait until I can afford one level up. When I was first looking at Accuphase amps, I had the same idea as you, adding a DAC card to it and connecting, in my case, a Melco to it, which is similar to Zenith. But comparing my Melco N1A to any of the Accuphase CD players just made it so obvious how much superior they are compared to current streaming options. This is despite the Melco, like your Zenith, being highly praised in reviews. So my Melco is now my secondary digital source connected to the DP-560 and I use it when I want to explore music, which  I don’t own through Tidal or I want to listen to an album I only have as a downloads. There is no question that the DAC of the DP-560 is tremendous and the Melco now sounds much better than before. However, playing a CD on the DP-560 is still better. My speakers are ATC SCM40, which are sealed box speaker and give you a very tight bass. They are also quiet time coherent speakers, which is an important aspect. 

Getting where I am now was only possible by having a very good HiFi dealer and doing plenty of auditions rather than reading things online.  Accuphase is all about time coherency. It is in their name. Audioworks mention time coherency on their website and there is also a US speaker manufacturer that has a very good page explaining the importance of time coherency. Once you have heard a time coherent system, you will not want to hear anything else anymore because now everything sounds extremely authentic. 

On ‎21‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 22:20, whitehart said:
On ‎19‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 13:56, terrycym said:

I've got a DP-77, DC-37, AD-2800 and C-2400

Well pleased with them!

Excellent!  are the recent buys, or have you had them fo a while?

I've been tempted to buy one of the older CDP's, as can't afford top of the range, but not sure if they would be as good as my Electro EMC1UP.

Mac

The DC-37 is fairly recent, I've had the rest for quite a while

I believe there's an Accuphase dealer in London too 

On ‎20‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 10:16, terrycym said:

The DC-37 is fairly recent, I've had the rest for quite a while

I believe there's an Accuphase dealer in London too 

Any idea what the London dealer is called?

There used to be one in Reading, but they dropped the brand.

I would be very interested to hear somebody's experience with this place. It does not seem to be a normal shop where you can just walk in. 

I bought a pre-amp from them - absolutely great service - beyond the call of duty in fact. I was well pleased!

London to Kent is a damn sight closer than Kent to Cheadle!

On 10/08/2018 at 16:29, terrycym said:

London to Kent is a damn sight closer than Kent to Cheadle!

Indeed, you won't get any arguement here.

Mac

Super Wammer
On 24/07/2018 at 12:43, Mblssmp2 said:

I think the place below does the distribution of Accuphase in the UK

http://www.rtsaudio.co.uk/index.html

They should know.

Indeed, RTS are still listed as UK distributors by Accuphase themselves.  But the website says it hasn’t been updated since 2012, so I can only think it’s a placeholder rather than a serious endeavour - the website, that is!  

I too find it extraordinary that there isn’t better distribution here.   Jeremy Baldwin of The Right Note in Bath used to carry the brand, but I’m going back a couple of decades. 

Edited by Nopiano

Super Wammer

My E-306 is still going strong and sounds mighty fine :) 

• Like 1