The site will be out of service again for further upgrades regarding security fixes. Work will be carried out between 4.30am and 5.30am tomorrow morning. We apologise for the inconvenience.

evand

Good Schiit

so as you know the freya has 2 modes . one JFET buffer with a gain of 1 output impedance 75ohms s/e 600 ohms xlr 

and one tube buffer of a gain of 5 with output impedance 180 ohms . sometimes in tube mode there is a tiny weeny bit of tube noise , its very small but occassionally you can hear it . now being sensitive to anything like that [ i  have padding in my clocks to stop any ticking but anyone else might not even hear them ] i have been using it in the JFET mode with xlr in and rca out into the monoblocks 

over the past few weeks i have found the sound getting better and better , in fact its very holographic , very sweet and sometimes does give you a bit of a start with its realism . the next pre i want to try is a sjs model 7 or an ear 868 but so far this one is giving such good service i am not inclined to spend an extra 4k to change it . at 750 new approx its worth every penny and more for it 

interesting review including the vidar which i have never heard of , any one tried them 

https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/reviews/schiit-audio-reference-system-review-part-1-r676/

Posted (edited)

Hello people, 

Long time Schiit head here, 
I've had the second Yggy in the UK (I believe) now upgraded to Yggy V2 and the Freya which is awesome! Usually use it in tube mode (with an ATI 6002 SS power amp)- I like the tubes but I have sensitive speakers (Electrostatics before and now Horns - PAP Horn1) and sometime I can hear a tiny tube hiss, it's worse with NOS tubes - it's still lots of fun but I hear the hiss and you know audiophiles... 

I wonder about the new Freya + : https://audio-head.com/a-schiit-thunderdome-4-new-preamps-saga-s-saga-freya-s-freya/ I wonder how much of a difference it will make and if it's worth the upgrade... I'm guessing no one heard it yet, they say it's much quieter with tubes and I wonder how it effects old NOS tubes which sound great but are noisy. 

Edited by YellowRoll

wow , thanks for that . i use my freya in just passive mode due to the issue mentioned with tubes . its a pretty good pre amp . be interesting to see what this new one sounds like . great fan of the saga which i most certainly would buy again 

and i see they are having a sale of the saga at just 300 quid !! it was already a bargain, i really liked this and had no issues ever in valve form or passive form 

https://www.schiit.co.uk/preamps/Saga

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, YellowRoll said:

I wonder about the new Freya + : https://audio-head.com/a-schiit-thunderdome-4-new-preamps-saga-s-saga-freya-s-freya/ I wonder how much of a difference it will make and if it's worth the upgrade... I'm guessing no one heard it yet, they say it's much quieter with tubes and I wonder how it effects old NOS tubes which sound great but are noisy. 

In active modes, Freya S gain stage has a gain of 1 (0db) and Freya+ gain stage has a gain of 12 (4db). I understand that earlier Freya's had a gain of 5db. A Freya S should work better with your high efficiency speakers from a usable volume control range point of view, and quieter than Freya + too.

I'm thinking of picking up a Freya S myself when they become available in the UK. My active ATC's are quite sensitive, 1v input for maximum output, and I'm driving them from balanced outputs which are 4v peak-to-peak at max output. This results in 35 - 40db of digital attenuation for normal listening  volume when driving the speakers directly from the streamer outputs.

Edited by Music At Home
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Music At Home said:

In active modes, Freya S gain stage has a gain of 1 (0db) and Freya+ gain stage has a gain of 12 (4db). I understand that earlier Freya's had a gain of 5db. A Freya S should work better with your high efficiency speakers from a usable volume control range point of view, and quieter than Freya + too.

I'm thinking of picking up a Freya S myself when they become available in the UK. My active ATC's are quite sensitive, 1v input for maximum output, and I'm driving them from balanced outputs which are 4v peak-to-peak at max output. This results in 35 - 40db of digital attenuation for normal listening  volume when driving the speakers directly from the streamer outputs.

Thanks mate, 

I want to use the tubes :) Just wish they were quieter, maybe it's asking too much of an ancient technology. Still would be interesting to see what Schiit does with the new Freya, they know their stuff! 

some early thoughts from a freya s user 

just got my new schitt freya plus and heres my initial impressions. First off, very well packed. very heavy cardboard container with foam inserts. build quality is first rate for price. Especially nice are high quality tube sockets. tubes fit nicely and have a solid fit.new style aluminum remote feels solid and has only basic controls, volume, buffer mode, and input. right now. i am using only my edifer pc speakers and lg V3o phone for audio, better audio report when i get to my camp and hook it to my mac mc-302 and line arrays. however, no noise or hiss whatsoever.even when i tap on cabinet there is 0 noise. seems to function perfect. None of problems i saw in original freya reviews. seems to sound good with this basic setup. Better review this weekend when at camp.

Posted (edited)

Big Schiit,  Little Schiit

I'm balls-deep in Schiit !!!

Newly acquired and setup second system. Just temporarily setup next to the big rig so I can do a few comparisons before moving it out to it's permanent location.

Big Schiit System: Raspberry Pi/Allo Digione Signature --> BNC SPDIF to Gungnir DS --> Balanced output to Mjolnir 2 --> Balanced output to Senn' HD650's

Little Schiit System: Raspberry Pi --> USB (data and power) to Modi 3 --> Magni 3 --> Senn' HD660S's

Both Raspberry Pi's running RoPieee as roon end-points. Shaking my head at how good the little Schiit system sounds. It has no right to sound this good!

IMG_0378.JPG

Edited by Music At Home
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

More Schiit Hits the Fan

Currently doing a bit of a three way comparison of headphone amps

IMG_0435.thumb.JPG.d7f6faa2045e9837e0d388b117414fad.JPG

From the left:

Mjolnir 2, with JJ Tesla ECC88 gold-pins

Lyr 3, with stock Russian

Vali 2, with NOS Philips PCC88

Bullet point summary of findings:

• Vali 2, sounds lovely: smooth, relaxed and completely non-fatiguing. A little bit veiled and slightly on the warm side.
  • Lyr 3, brand new unit. Level of clarity and detail a bit of a shock coming from Vali 2. Detail, if anything, was too intense and distracting initially. Then towards end of the last nights listening session came a holy-WTF moment as all clicked into place and started sounding coherent and glorious. Great extension and control in the bass.
  • Mjolnir 2. Sounds thick and chunky, but in a good way. Less ethereal than Lyr 3, more meaty and dense. Single ended output doesn't quite have the control and definition in the bass that the Lyr 3 has but balanced goes some way to address this. Overall, sounding a bit coloured in comparison with Lyr 3 but holds a tune well and is just a super engaging listen.

All comparisons so far with Linn Akurate DS/3 as source and with Sennheiser HD600 headphones

Edited by Music At Home
  • Like 1