The site will be out of service again for further upgrades regarding security fixes. Work will be carried out between 4.30am and 5.30am tomorrow morning. We apologise for the inconvenience.

evand

Good Schiit

Super Wammer
On 15/08/2018 at 19:51, hifinutt said:

i would love to meet the comedian who writes the delightfully brief manual with gems like this 

When using the tube gain stage, Freya’s tubes get hot. We don’t recommend letting your pets sleep on them.

and 

Volume Knob Turn up to increase volume. Stop before your speakers explode.

and best of all in describing the saga`s remote 

Yes, this preamp comes with a remote control. And yes, it’s a relatively simple plastic affair. Yeah, we know you want milled aluminum, but you also probably don’t want to spend a fortune on a remote control either. This remote is inexpensive enough that if your dog eats it, you can get another one without any financial stress.:D

That’s brilliant!  I imagine mainstream manufacturers would love to do the same but their legal advisers and Health & Safetry people would forbid it.  Modern manuals, if you even get one, seem to spend several pages in dozens of languages telling you not to put your amp in the bath, or put it on a radiator!  And not to wire your speakers to the mains. Madness!  

9 hours ago, Nopiano said:

That’s brilliant!  I imagine mainstream manufacturers would love to do the same but their legal advisers and Health & Safetry people would forbid it.  Modern manuals, if you even get one, seem to spend several pages in dozens of languages telling you not to put your amp in the bath, or put it on a radiator!  And not to wire your speakers to the mains. Madness!  

They are subject to exactly the same rules as anyone else if they wish to export around the world. Rather than being flippant they are actually being explicit as required in a particularly litigious place as the US where, if you do not state explicitly that pets, children and electrical devices should not be put in the washing machine then when someone does just that they can sue. It may seem like madness but that is what happens when you enable a no win, no fee culture. 

Super Wammer
1 hour ago, Cable Monkey said:

They are subject to exactly the same rules as anyone else if they wish to export around the world. Rather than being flippant they are actually being explicit as required in a particularly litigious place as the US where, if you do not state explicitly that pets, children and electrical devices should not be put in the washing machine then when someone does just that they can sue. It may seem like madness but that is what happens when you enable a no win, no fee culture. 

I acknowledge the reasons but it still seems a ridiculous waste of paper.  Obviously the manufacturer referred to above is less constrained by their distribution decisions, of they don’t give a flip!  Perhaps they do state all the legal guff and still write the amusing stuff as well?

Edited by Nopiano

I doubt a smallish family business relishes being sued any more than anyone else. They have used casual language but they have ticked the required boxes of being explicit about what you can and can't do. If someone's pussy gets burnt they are covered! A mate of mine sticks bubble wrap on his turntable to keep his cats off it!

7 hours ago, Cable Monkey said:

No win no fee or contingent fee arrangements are types of funding and have no bearing on the success of cases which still have to face courts. 

6 hours ago, Cloth-Ears. said:

Reminds me of those weird law lists. 

Best one ever :

" Alligators may not be hitched to fire hydrants "

:shock: 

Okay, er, no problem

But Crocodiles are okay? Kindly be more concise... I don't wish to get in trouble you see with the Fire Safety Officer!

Thank you...:^

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Cloth-Ears. said:

Maybe it was crocs. But then, what of alligators ? :?

Reading between the lines, you mention a Fire Hydrant; therefore Watson, I deduce Alligators!

The end...

41 minutes ago, QuestForThe13thNote said:

No win no fee or contingent fee arrangements are types of funding and have no bearing on the success of cases which still have to face courts. 

I did crowd first aid for a football club. The head security officer explained that the difference now is very little gets to court. It is standard practice to try and settle before court because then the costs balloon. Note, not the compensation but the complainants costs. So looking at what gets to court is only a tiny slice of the problem.

As an example we treated a young man with a gashed head. He was drunk to the point he could barely stand but we had high definition video of him climbing on to his seat, and jumping up and down until the seat broke thus sustaining the injury. But despite the evidence of his culpability he would was in line for a multi thousand pound payout as soon as he put the claim in. It was always their decision to proceed to court, not the club. 

2 minutes ago, Cable Monkey said:

I did crowd first aid for a football club. The head security officer explained that the difference now is very little gets to court. It is standard practice to try and settle before court because then the costs balloon. Note, not the compensation but the complainants costs. So looking at what gets to court is only a tiny slice of the problem.

As an example we treated a young man with a gashed head. He was drunk to the point he could barely stand but we had high definition video of him climbing on to his seat, and jumping up and down until the seat broke thus sustaining the injury. But despite the evidence of his culpability he would was in line for a multi thousand pound payout as soon as he put the claim in. It was always their decision to proceed to court, not the club. 

Yes understand that as I used to work in insurance in the liability loss adjusting field dealing with public liability claims. It works both ways so it’s not just about one side being weary of costs as the other sides costs can come back to that party and ATE insures don’t cover costs by insurance if risks of loosing are high. An ate policy will go with a contingent fee claim by solicitor acting for the claimant.. So it is down to the courts as to the standards. If the seat would have gone anyway then there would be a duty on the ground owner under the occupiers liability act (1957) but his award should have been significantly reduced down by his contributory negligence. But it’s not just the case that once the claim comes in he is in for a big payout. Lots of them are faked or it can be argued the circumstances don’t relate to the injury -eg drunk people etc. 

Lots of red herrings in there but we are in danger of dragging this way off topic so let's just agree to disagree! 😉

so been playing the schiit freya pre for a few nights now , using the original russian valves . used a fairly modest xlr cable from dac to pre with reasonable results . the tubes give more gain so volume knob midway . definately prefer the tubes altho the jfet option is ok . its a bit two dimentional . the tubes are quite full blooded and wider soundstage . 

the saga i have is very very good for the money and the freya has the advantage of xlr . i think it has a bit more body and weight than the saga but i could live with the saga anyday .

I dropped a dct 300 xlr from dac to pre in which really did make a difference as it always does [ one of my favourite interconnects , i can`t always tell the difference with interconnects but i can with dct 300 ] 

an American friend dropped round last night and was blown away by the sound , he said its almost better than the real thing !! wouldn`t quite go that far but for 725 quid the freya is one valve amp worth trying . i will post some pics when i can  

been playing the freya quite a bit with firebottle monos , it has a full blooded , weighty sound with lots of slam . maybe could do with more sense of presence but its good. popped it in to system with class A amp and its very transparent , very slightly  more than the bel canto pre 3 but not as practical . i.e with the pre 3 it remembers volumes and has 200 db volume increments for very precise control .  so the pre 3 will be staying until an arc pre  comes in sometime 

43673206794_8c04c6d650_k.jpgP1060387 by , on Flickr

the saga is back in with firebottles to compare , will report back . its a super little pre and has a nice way about it 

30533575488_5b63443b5e_k.jpgP1060390 by , on Flickr