fletchdirect

phono stage

Evening all

Apart from Rega amps, has anyone ever come across any integrated amps whose phono stages are incredibly / unexpectedly good?

Cheers

MF are very good.

As are:

Lentek and Levinson

I'm sure there are loads more. It does depend on if your referring to MM or MC stages. Lots more integrated amps have MM stages than MC.

I have two that I kept specifically for the quality of their phono stages: The Lentek and Denon PMA-850. They're both 40 years old though.

Back in the day, turntables and tuners were the only sources of note. If it didn't have a good phono stage, it wouldn't sell.

I'm sure that there are more modern designs but they will be very costly, as the Lentek and Denon were in their day. (£745 in 1979).

7 minutes ago, oldius said:

I have two that I kept specifically for the quality of their phono stages: The Lentek and Denon PMA-850. They're both 40 years old though.

Back in the day, turntables and tuners were the only sources of note. If it didn't have a good phono stage, it wouldn't sell.

I'm sure that there are more modern designs but they will be very costly, as the Lentek and Denon were in their day. (£745 in 1979).

just checked your wigwam info - we have a couple of things in common TTS8000 and NS1000 - unfortunately with a toddler about, both are in storage.....

Nice. The Yams with the Lentek is a bloody lovely match. 

If you are talking older amps as well, the SONY TA-F770ES is pretty good- adjustable too.:geek:

I had a PMA 850, Denon sold em all off cheap cos I assume they didn't sell too well they were a bargain at that tine but the phono stage was no better than the Pioneer A400 in my daughter's system.  I have a Elite Townsend pre amp i bought when my audionics failed and i wanted something to tide me over until i got a replacement ,, the phono on the Elite was not as good as either of the above.  Rotel amps have good phono stages and there are many others .. it is not surprising to find better phono stages in an integrated (from the late 70s and  early to mid 80s especially) as they were judged on vinyl replay in those days as Oldius said above). Oh of course don't forget the Sugden's they all have good phono stages ..

Edited by uzzy
grammar correction

http://www.thevintageknob.org/denon-PMA-850.html

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I'm pleased with my Sonneteer Alabaster (MM) , I  loaned a Rega Elicit and still preferred the Sonneteer phono stage.

I had a NAD C160 pre the MC stage was brilliant, never tried the MM.

Super Wammer

Croft amps with phono stage are usually very good imo.

And I had a Pioneer A400 with a mm/mc input, which was very good, for a budget amp in its day.

Edited by greybeard

I have a Plinius hautonga which has a brilliant MM and MC phono stage.