The site will be out of service again for further upgrades regarding security fixes. Work will be carried out between 4.30am and 5.30am tomorrow morning. We apologise for the inconvenience.

Audio Al

Lodgesound update

I am devastated by this news, as Stewart and I became good friends. He was so generous with his time and advice on my R2R journey. I went many times to his home in Oxted and was always met with a smile and excellent cups of tea.

After he was diagnosed last February with bowel cancer, we spoke on an almost daily basis. I exchanged medical advice in return for his tips on optimising R2R machines and recording. It seemed like an excellent way to forge a friendship. Sadly his disease returned with a vengeance earlier this year. That didn't stop our regular calls or messages. After a while, I would often end up speaking to his parents, if Stewart was unable to answer the phone. It has been terrible time for his Mother, Father and his Sister. They have borne this with as much fortitude as Stewart himself.

I visited him last about ten days ago and spent several hours with him and his family. I stayed with him until he was transferred later that afternoon to his parents' house to spend his last few days. I spoke to him last a couple of days ago and phoned his Mother last night - he was slipping away then.

It is a relief to know that he is no longer suffering and that he is in a better place now. I shall miss him immensely, but nowhere near as much as his family. RIP my friend.

• Upvote 4

Very, very sad news.

Super Wammer

Very sad news, their room was always one of the highlights of Scalford. RIP Stewart.

RIP Stewart, I did not know him personally but I always looked forward with anticipation to his excellent demonstrations at Scalford and Audiojumble.

The Lodgesound room was always a highlight for me as well. The sounds he made was so relaxing and effortless, i could of happily just sat their all day for the rest of the show.

My condolences to Stewarts family.

Edited by Hap Hazzard

3 hours ago, Hap Hazzard said:

The Lodgesound room was always a highlight for me as well. The sounds he made was so relaxing and effortless, i could of happily just sat their all day for the rest of the show.

My condolences to Stewarts family.

Same from me ...R.I.P

So sorry to hear this. I always seemed to gravitate to Stewart's room at Scalford after a beer or two on Saturday night and always enjoyed both the sounds from his lovely R2R machines and the conversations we had. My thoughts are with his family. RIP Stewart.

Same sentiments as everyone else really. I didn't know him personally but I always looked forward to his room at Scalford. Always interesting and always a wonderful sound.    R.I.P.

That Lodgesound room was always a personal highlight of the Scalford Show. Like so many, it was impossible to walk past & not go in. Stewart would always patiently explain what the R2Rs where & what the kit did. A friend, who has some John Peel Perfumed Garden tapes, picked his brains a couple of years ago. The enthusiasm, knowledge & patience shone through.

This sad news is tempered by Charlie's post. Good to know you were there for him and his family. And that the R2R torch will be continue to be carried.

As we can see above, he will be much missed.

Really, really sad news, I can only echo the comments posted previously. Saturday night at Scalford listening to Stewart's mix tapes and having a chat was always a great pleasure and one of the bits of the weekend I most looked forward to. I picked up an old Akai R2R a few months ago, mainly due to listening sessions in the Lodgesound room. Stewart was a real gent, may he rest in peace.

Super Wammer
2 hours ago, barneys dad said:

That Lodgesound room was always a personal highlight of the Scalford Show. Like so many, it was impossible to walk past & not go in. Stewart would always patiently explain what the R2Rs where & what the kit did. A friend, who has some John Peel Perfumed Garden tapes, picked his brains a couple of years ago. The enthusiasm, knowledge & patience shone through.

This sad news is tempered by Charlie's post. Good to know you were there for him and his family. And that the R2R torch will be continue to be carried.

As we can see above, he will be much missed.

my thoughts exactly, good to hear that Charlie was able to support the man and his family RIP top bloke

Desperately sad news. I only met him a couple of times via Phil with whom I had some dealings on LS5/8 bits etc some years ago but he seemed like a lovely bloke who will really be missed.

RIP

I knew Stewart for 17 years and it was a great shock to learn of his passing.

It's been a pleasure to know him and listen to his extensive knowledge of all things R2R and l will never forgot the first time l heard (and fell in love with) LS5/8's at his house! 

Unfortunately l never got to do a Scalford Hi-Fi show with Stewart, l did the the 2016 with Phil and loved every min of it. 

Here is a video Phil did of Stewart talking about the 2015 show, hope you all enjoy it: 

My condolences to Stewart's family.

You will be missed my friend! 

But not forgotten :)

His memorial service will be at lunchtime next friday 30 June in Surrey. Steve (Barneys Dad) has asked me to send condolences from the Wam to Stewart's family.

Edited by topoxforddoc

55 minutes ago, topoxforddoc said:

For those of you who knew him, his memorial service will be at lunchtime next friday 30 June in Oxted, Surrey. Please PM me if you would like any details, as all of his friends are welcome.

I've asked Charlie to forward the condolences of all of us at HiFi Wigwam to Stewart's family & friends when he attends his memorial service on Friday.