insider9

DIY acoustic panels

17 hours ago, Hornucopia said:

Rockwool; Clingfilm.......I'm assuming you're all single?

Otherwise, I'd suggest some nice decorative blankets might be the only domestic possibility?

Mexican/Portuguese would be nice.***

Now all you have to do is find an article in 'Modern homes 4U' or suchlike to convince your partner.

***works for me-and it was my choice! Otherwise....Cork works, as longtime members will recall me going on about!

No, happily married. I don't have any say in my wife's reading room/office. She's got no say in my listening room even though it's a part of master bedroom.

Living room is never quiet enough for a proper listening room with people in and out all the time. Would love more space but gotta wait a couple more years before my eldest son finally leaves the nest.

Having compared absorption figures on sheep's wool and fiberglass I think I might have to get fiberglass especially for bass traps. Would love something natural like wool but only if it performs well and absorption around 45% at 125 Hz is lower than comparably thick fiberglass.

Cork is better.....AND ecological!

As used even on space craft! In these days of suspect cladding, it's fire resistant as well.

3 hours ago, Hornucopia said:

Cork is better.....AND ecological!

As used even on space craft! In these days of suspect cladding, it's fire resistant as well.

I've not seen any info to back this up. Definitely not for absorption. Do you have any links that I could read up on it?

Just to update this thread. I've gone with a second hand panels in the end. Built by a BBC engineer for studio use. Still unsure about placement and overall effectiveness but got a real bargain. If anyone is interested I posted the link in "Ebay links"

Was I to build my own I would've gone with Rockwool RW3 or Knauf RS60 either in 100mm thickness. By all the data I've managed to sift through these seem the best choice for both broadband absorbers and bass traps.