Admin

Having got back into headphones when the kids came along about nine years ago, I've been through quite a lot of kit. A little Project amp started me off with Sennheiser HD650s. I then went to Stax, with their basic electrostatic set up. This was rather lovely, but missing out in the lower octaves...

AKG Q701 came next... Again, I thought just a little bit soft in the bass. This was sorted when I added a Schiit Lyr valve amp to the mix with a pair of Hifiman HE400i ( the original version, with the modified drivers). Blimey, what a sound ! You do have to be careful with this amp, as anything over about 30 % volume is deafening... So much spare power, and it lends the system an effortless sound, with all the dynamics you could wish for. I really can't see me changing anything here, with maybe the new version of the Hifimans which are quite a lot lighter, and therefore more comfortable to wear over a long session. 

For me, I found that the amp is easily as important as the 'phones. I can't remember now how much the Lyr cost me, but whatever it was I consider it a bargain for the improvements it brought.

lyr.jpg

Edited by Cambs12

Admin

Err MF X-Cans V2 and Sennheiser HD 600'S . I rarely use them to be honest as everyone is grown up and tend to have the place to my self during the day hence i seem to clocking up the hours on cartridges at a rapid rate :$

Super Wammer

Sennheiser HD800 driven by GSP Solo amp, used mainly for late night listening. Great resolution of fine detail & superb tonal balance with no bass bloat.
Very comfortable. Would like to try some alternative amps. 
No getting away from the in-the-head imaging & lack of physicality but headphones can't do it all.

• Like 1

Sennheiser HD650s and 600s driven by Auralic Taurus MKII and Icon Audio HP8 MKII. The Icon Audio has a warmer, richer sound and is great for vocal music, strings etc, whereas the Auralic has a more spacious sound. I did try Sennheiser HD800S but prefer the 650's warmth of sound. Would like to try some Audeze 'phones, but other financial commitments mean that's on hold for the time being.

Oh, and by way of hifi sacrilege I sometimes use my iPad as a headphone amp, and it's pretty good - not that far behind my dedicated amps in terms of quality, if not volume levels. 

Edited by wizons

Have a pair of HD600s and ran them with a Little Dot4 for a while, sounded great.  Unfortunately, simply not in the same league as my main system, so the LD was moved on.

My setup is a pair of AKG K712 Pro on the end of Firestone Audio Cute Beyond headphone amp with rolled op-amps. I don't need to get a better head-fi as it's only used rarely.

i-Decco cradle/dac/amp running Wharfedale Isodynamics from speaker outlets.

I've tried other 'phones, but rediscovered my old -bought in 1973/4 - Isos that sound sooo much nicer.

The original planars.

They WERE cheap/free a few years back and I claim a little responsibility for hyping them too much so now even bits of them fetch high prices (recent e-by sale of inner bits fetched £50+-have seen them reach high hundreds)

Lehmann black cube driving Grado GS1000 

Unless the lotto comes round will never return to speakers , GS1000 is the best for low and moderate volume listening.

My bargain basement setup consists of:

Fiio E07K Andes amp/DAC -> docked into -> Fiio E9 amplifier, Headphones are AKG K550.

I use the USB connection on the rear of the E9 so the E07K is only acting as a DAC and the E9 does the amplification. the sound quality is very good and gives a palpable sound-stage with no headphone nasties.

quite pleased with this!  

When the main living room is being used (dam  TV) then I use the Squeezebox Touch, Audionote 2.1x  into a LD 3 with tweeked valves (Russian specials and Mullards).

But for serious listening the Esoteric P03, D03 and the Stax Srm 006 and 303s. It sounds rather nice......maybe need the valve 007 and newer headphones but......

Super Wammer

My journey into headfi started unexpectedly some 12 years ago with the arrival of an autistic child.

There have been a few different rigs over the years but for the last few my main rig has been a customized Bottlehead Mainline which has been upgraded with 10uf RTI tin foil Teflon output capacitors. This paired with the Sennheiser HD800 (SuperDupont Resonator fitted aka the French mod) make for a stunning combination.

Lurking in the background is the Hifiman HE-6 

IMG_6549.JPG

Edited by JamieMcC

Super Wammer

Oppo PM-3's with Benchmark DAC2 HGC for home use.  Portable listening is via laptop with DacMagic XS USB DAC/amp.  Very happy.

Sony MDR-1ABT, Bluetooth, one of the most comfortable cans I have owned, It is great just to have the freedom to sit in the garden or just wander around the house without any cables,  has a very good range, and it sounds quality is superb, will accept all types of files including dsd, and flac etc.

PGM3TKxm.jpg

• Upvote 1

Super Mod
2 hours ago, p147 said:

Sony MDR-1ABT, Bluetooth, one of the most comfortable cans I have owned, It is great just to have the freedom to sit in the garden or just wander around the house without any cables,  has a very good range, and it sounds quality is superb, will accept all types of files including dsd, and flac etc.

PGM3TKxm.jpg

:^ I feel the same way about my recently acquired Bose wireless noise cancelling headphones. I also have a pair of wired Bose noise cancelling headphones, a Pair of Bang & Olufsen H6 Limted Edition, and a pair of Sony cans I've just given to my 10 year old granddaughter last week. I think she has immediately taken to them, because she seems to always have them on her head connected to her iPad music. Start them young :hug:

• Upvote 1