The site will be out of service again for further upgrades regarding security fixes. Work will be carried out between 4.30am and 5.30am tomorrow morning. We apologise for the inconvenience.

insider9

DALI Owners Club

Starting this thread for other DALI owners. It's hard to find a pair of their speakers I that I've not enjoyed. Feel free to discuss, critique, suggest models worth listening to.

My Dali history includes Zensor 3, Concept 6 and currently 104 that I turned active. Sure they may not be known for their neutrality but they're very musical.

• Like 1

I'm currently trying to sell some of my system and by chance heard the epicon 6 the other day, when in a dealer.

I can't get it out of my mind - I loved the found. I'd never considered Dali before, but will do so now (if my kit ever sells!). The sound was full, lush, detailed and fluid. Loved it!

I've heard the Epicons. I think they were Epicon 8. What struck me immediately was their transparency. The speakers would blend into the room and it was impossible to tell their placement with your eyes closed. Just a lovely wall of sound but didn't really lose their Dali qualities. Still very musical and enjoyable with just the right amount of detail.

If you get a chance to get them at a decent price I'd say go for it.

Edited by insider9

Class A amp + Epicon 6 = perfection.  In my room, my music, my ears etc etc.

If you ever get a chance audition a pair of Dali Megaline's ---- the BEST speakers I've ever ever heard, period....!!

:)

Edited by macvisual

Dealer

Just dropping in here to claim membership with 4 pairs of Dali 104 speakers in my family. I rewired and gave a pair to each of my daughters and we also use a pair in out kitchen. They are a cracking speaker that can also play VERY loud as demonstrated at my daughters wedding after the band and disco were long gone. 

On 13/07/2017 at 21:28, Fourlegs said:

Just dropping in here to claim membership with 4 pairs of Dali 104 speakers in my family. I rewired and gave a pair to each of my daughters and we also use a pair in out kitchen. They are a cracking speaker that can also play VERY loud as demonstrated at my daughters wedding after the band and disco were long gone. 

Four pairs? Must be a record :) they are great though. And nowadays an absolute bargain. 

Edit

Just saw the "in my family" bit. Doh 

Still that's some brand loyalty :)

Edited by insider9

Dealer
1 hour ago, insider9 said:

Four pairs? Must be a record :) they are great though. And nowadays an absolute bargain. 

Edit

Just saw the "in my family" bit. Doh 

Still that's some brand loyalty :)

Three daughters, all with a pair of Dali 104 speakers donated by an indulgent father. The fourth pair is in our kitchen (and which were the subject of a slight recent rebuild with new mid/bass drivers and new tweeters, finished off with a crossover rebuild - see DIY thread).

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Fourlegs said:

Three daughters, all with a pair of Dali 104 speakers donated by an indulgent father. The fourth pair is in our kitchen (and which were the subject of a slight recent rebuild with new mid/bass drivers and new tweeters, finished off with a crossover rebuild - see DIY thread).

I have they look excellent :)

I've just bought me a pair of 104s for peanuts that look extremely tidy. Couldn't resist. How different do they sound compared with LVs andcwhat can be done to improve them? Fancying a tinker 🤓

Dealer
9 hours ago, Bourney said:

I've just bought me a pair of 104s for peanuts that look extremely tidy. Couldn't resist. How different do they sound compared with LVs andcwhat can be done to improve them? Fancying a tinker 🤓

Well Steve, you have had LV so you can answer the first question. I will be interested to see how you think yours sound.

I bought my first ever pair of Dali 104 new from Kevin at Definitive in the 1990s when he was selling them. On Kevin's recommendation they replaced a pair of Kef 104A/B speakers and were much better.

The first thing I usually do is replace the bell wire inside using Van Damme 2.5mm or similar and soldering to the drivers. The second I do is to biwire them. The crossover is quite easy to split into separate bass and treble circuits and is hard wired which helps. Often I stop there as they sound pretty good then anyway. These two mods were recommended by Kevin for me to do to my brand new Dali 104s bought from him in the last century.

More recently I replaced all the drivers and put new caps and resistors in the crossovers. But then you are into about £400 of parts. All in my post in DIY. Have fun.

Edited by Fourlegs

I probably won't get them until next week Nick, just wanted to know what to expect really. At £60 it was a no brainer 

Edited by Bourney

Dealer
19 minutes ago, Bourney said:

I probably won't get them until next week Nick, just wanted to know what to expect really. At £60 it was a no brainer 

Agreed, that is a good price. The lucky bit is picking up an unbashed set of cabinets as most are showing their age on the corners by now. Most driver surrounds are also showing age and are cracking especially if the speakers have been used without grilles. Hopefully you will be lucky on both counts.

I look forward to your reports.