Super Wammer

I am following this thread with interest as I am looking for a new DAC and been chatting with Metatron. Interested in the Border Patrol. Mr Underhill can you let me know who sells these in the UK. I’ve tried the internet to no avail.

Thanks,

Richard 

Super Wammer
4 hours ago, Richard A said:

I am following this thread with interest as I am looking for a new DAC and been chatting with Metatron. Interested in the Border Patrol. Mr Underhill can you let me know who sells these in the UK. I’ve tried the internet to no avail.

Thanks,

Richard 

As far asI know all the people who have them bought direct from the USA, drop Gary Dews an email.

Super Wammer

Hi Metatron,

I haven't heard the dCS or PSA; although I have considered trying both in the past.

My route to the BP over the years was:

Audio Synthesis > Benchmark DAC1 > Naim DAC/XPS > Bel Canto 3.5vbs > BP SE.

My view is that what people hear from a DAC can vary strongly with the system it is in. When I had the Benchmark it was roundly critised on the Naim forum and so I popped down to my local dealer, who I knew well, and he left me to insert it into a middling Naim setup that they had in their dem room. It sounded poor - in  my system it was very good.

In my moves between Benchmark DAC1 > Naim DAC/XPS > Bel Canto 3.5vbs the sound quality did not vary tremendously, I was changing for facilities.

I do think the BP is a step up on these DACs, in my system.

WRT your comments:

Yggy has great detail & is never ragged, but I found listening to music through it was quiet forensic, removed me from the emotion. This sounds similar to your Hugo objection.

You can borrow the Yggy from them for £30 towards postage. You then have it for two weeks.

IF I just listened to classical music I would have got the Lampi. The one I borrowed is still at:

http://www.emporiumhifi.com/pre-owned/lampzigator-dac-preamp-level-4-gen-5/

I found them easy people to deal with.

Gary will send you the BP for two weeks, from memory, BUT you have to buy it initially. He will supply you with a UK address to return it to if you decide not to buy, double check this.

I think all three are good DACs, and can see different people buying different ones based on taste.

M

On 10/10/2017 at 11:57, JezR said:

@Mr Underhill Sorry I still haven't got the Chord DAC back yet.

Look forward to your opinion as and when ...

23 minutes ago, Mr Underhill said:

Yggy has great detail & is never ragged, but I found listening to music through it was quiet forensic, removed me from the emotion. This sounds similar to your Hugo objection.

You can borrow the Yggy from them for £30 towards postage. You then have it for two weeks.

IF I just listened to classical music I would have got the Lampi. The one I borrowed is still at:

http://www.emporiumhifi.com/pre-owned/lampzigator-dac-preamp-level-4-gen-5/

I found them easy people to deal with.

I wouldn't go so far as saying the the Hugo has removed me from the emotion of the music, it hasn't. I just notice some aberrations sometimes in busy mixes that don't sound cleanly/tidily reproduced, and it's sounds a bit mechanical and unnatural when it does so. Most of the time I find it clean, neutral and detailed, and involving, but a shade more warmth and midrange wouldn't go amiss. More resolution is always good so long as it doesn't have glare/hash/glassiness to the sound. If I listen to a track like Sigrid's "Dynamite" on the Hugo at home, then it's the best I've heard. But I haven't heard such tracks on other high end systems in a good room.... shows always play plinky-plonky easy to reproduce stuff with which people are likely unfamiliar (so cannot discern it from hearing it elsewhere). 

While the above track is mainly piano and vocal, I want a DAC that astounds with impact when playing Infected Mushroom or similar. The other DACs I have tried so far all sound softer/lighter (less slam/impact) in the bass, so work well with acoustic/classical (without timpanis) and not so well on rock/pop/dance or drum heavy music.

The rest of what I'd say would take the thread a bit off-topic, so I'll PM you the details instead.

Super Wammer
19 hours ago, JezR said:

As far asI know all the people who have them bought direct from the USA, drop Gary Dews an email.

Thanks JezR, I have just done that so will see what he says.

Richard A

Super Wammer

Anyone got experience of the Audio Note DAC's in relation to the Border Patrol? Thinking they might be similar in presentation, a rather nice 2.1 just appeared in the megastore, so wondering how it might compare...