Sign in to follow this  
Andrei

Toslink cable

TVs used to have analogue outs for sound.  Now I find there are only digital outs.  I plonked in a Toslink cable to connect to my DAC and that worked really well.  Great sound via DAC-Pre-Amp.

Now all of a sardine there is no sound.  At least no sound from the Hi-Fi, the TV speakers are working.  I am wondering if optical cables are delicate and if I have damaged the cable.  I remember mucking around behind the system where all the cables look like some gothic spaghetti.  If these cables are as delicate as I think would it make any difference if the inner material was glass or some other material?

I would just get another to rule it out regardless. They're a couple of quid on eBay or amazon including postage.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Also, check in the TV's settings that the audio output is set to stereo, if it's changed and is outputting any form of surround signal then your dac won't be able to handle it and not give any sound.

Another thing is check the TV isn't on mute. Many digital outs on TVs also are affected by selecting mute. If you lower the volume of the TV down to zero instead of mute the digital out will still work in these cases.

Also, has the cable simply fallen out!?

Edited by mfin

Super Wammer

You could try playing your Oppo into the DAC using this cable?

Super Wammer

The connection at the end if very susceptible to being knocked out of the socket, worth double checking this first, as if the gap gets more than about 1mm, then the red beam of light doesn't reach the receiver.

Make sure its pushed in fully.

• Upvote 1

The optical on my old TV wawould fall out at the slightest touch and lay loose in the socket. Might be worth a look. 

17 hours ago, Gizza said:

You could try playing your Oppo into the DAC using this cable?

Now why didn't I thin...

I was just about to think of that.

Super Wammer

😊