robbie010

Opinion on Crossover MODS??

Super Wammer

I have had my external crossovers re-housed to match my speakers and took a look at the components, see photos attached. 

Im feeling brave and thinking I may have a go at some DIY modding but don't want to tinker unnecessarily. 

Looking the components in the pictures, can anyone comment on possible basic mods or components that I could swap out that may give some level of upgrade?

thanks. 

IMG_8259.JPG

IMG_8262.JPG

IMG_8263.JPG

Super Wammer

There doesn't seem to me anything you can improve. The air-cored inductors are of a decent size,the capacitors aren't non-polar electrolytics and the resistors are decently rated wirewounds. The resistors could be uprated, BUT, wirewound resistors have inductance, unless they're specially non-inductively wound, and that will have been taken into account in the crossover design, so I wouldn't change resistor type unless you're sure you get the same inductance.

As you have external crossovers, going active would be easy, and that's the way I would improve performance.

S. 

• Upvote 1

As above Could be better I suppose but unlikely much .

No idea what you have for gear but often amplifications make significant improvements. If ..determined to up your game.

Amps like 'wimmin' are not all equal .

You have QLN Signature speakers on the end of Unison Research amp and you're looking to improve it :) love it. I had a pair of much lower level QLN which were amazing on the end of Primare amp. Can only guess how divine your system sounds.

I would second Serge's suggestion of going digitally active but that would require another amp as well as crossover. Crossover wise Minidsp 2x4 HD would be all you need and more.

Super Wammer

I always thought that close coils should be avoided, and where possible they should be oriented in different directions.

I looked it up on't tinternet, and found this:

14b8e2736246af998420cc3973063390.png

Super Wammer

Thanks everyone for your input. 

Not being technically minded I was only looking to tinker with basic 'swap this for that' type upgrades, but it looks like these crossovers are not the place to start my DIY modding career! 😬

I will leave well alone. 

PS: My set up sounds great, I just like the idea of tinkering!! 

7 hours ago, SergeAuckland said:

There doesn't seem to me anything you can improve. The air-cored inductors are of a decent size,the capacitors aren't non-polar electrolytics and the resistors are decently rated wirewounds. The resistors could be uprated, BUT, wirewound resistors have inductance, unless they're specially non-inductively wound, and that will have been taken into account in the crossover design, so I wouldn't change resistor type unless you're sure you get the same inductance.

As you have external crossovers, going active would be easy, and that's the way I would improve performance.

S. 

What he said with the exception of using external crossovers ..  it allows you to to bi amp easily not go active easily - to go active would require an electronic crossover between pre and power amplifiers..

As to improving performance - biamping is subjective (I have yet to go wow when a system is biamped (where the single strereo amp previously used was high quality with good current production) ..going active well that is a whole new ball game :) (I liked the old ball game better)

"Leave well alone" - the best upgrade for many occasions imho 

good luck with your search for the next project !