Sign in to follow this  
edd9000

Exakt Design Beta impressions

Super Wammer

Any updates Edd?  I'm interested to hear how you're getting on, if you've still got the kit on loan. 

I'm still stunned by the imaging I've achieved in my room, especially the depth of the sound-stage as I've never experienced anything like it before.  If I close my eyes I've got sounds appearing so close in front of me that it feels like I could put my hand out and touch them, and the same goes for how far back things can appear too.

I hope you're having fun anyway!

Super Wammer

No updates really, I got it pretty much where I want it to be after frustration of finding one of the tweeters was misbehaving. 

I should have the little bookshelf speakers I'm building built in the next few weeks, which I intend to build a passive crossover as well so it should make and interesting comparison. 

I do like exakt design a lot, I'm also rather impressed with the hardware, I'm not used to a two box system :D 

Subjective impressions are difficult, while a slightly different approach my system was already linear phase. However I do feel the tools in exakt design allowed me to get the horn sounding better. I also used DRC all the time which skews things.

I need to play with space a little more, I'm not sure it likes my room/setup very much.

Super Wammer

I like the idea of a DIY passive and active crossover comparison although I am beyond any doubt now that a linear phase active crossover will kick its ass. Despite what any SPL figures may show, there is simply no comparison between how my bookshelf speakers imaged with a passive crossover compared to an active one created with exakt design.

I'm loving the simplicity of the two box solution too, I turn my system on a lot more now, even for a short listen where I probably wouldn't have before.

If you've made manual group delay adjustments in exakt.design based on your previous set-up, Space Optimisation will apply it's own adjustments on top so I guess it could make things worse in that situation.   I've turned Space Optimisation on but I've set all the filters to 0db so the only change that's being made is the time of flight correction for the different positions of the drivers, this sounds best to me.  Obviously I've not added any time adjustments to any of the drivers in exakt.design. 

Cheers for the update and I look forward to hearing about your bookshelf speakers. :)

Edited by rv295

Super Wammer

Space is on, though I don't see time of flight as a concern and never found it audible, it's nice that it does it so simply of course.

It was more where it was placing the eq notches I need to mess around a bit more with it. 

While I agree dsp/active is better I just like to mess about. Imaging is pretty far down on my list of prioities to be honest, I mostly consider it an artifact. I spend most of my time listening to poorly recorded 70s rock, which doesn't have any phase information left :D 

Super Wammer

:^  I don't have much 70's rock at all but I do need to change my underwear every time I hear a decent recording with superb imaging. I go through a lot more tissues now I've got the exaktbox.

For overall enjoyment, the biggest thing for me is certainly imaging, then the right level of bass but imaging above everything else.  When you've got that level of detail in a recording, everything sounds sooooo much better to me. Nothing beats closing my eyes and experiencing a pseudo 3D stereo image with pinpoint accuracy. I'm in heaven when I've got that on top of nice clean deep bass, that's always what I've been searching for.

Your comments on the phase in 70's rock is probably the reason why I don't own much but even recordings like Spinning Wheels by Blood, Sweat & Tears really impresses me with it's imaging.

Super Dealer
39 minutes ago, edd9000 said:

Space is on, though I don't see time of flight as a concern and never found it audible, it's nice that it does it so simply of course.

Time of flight should be reasonably obvious on any plucked or struck string (guitar or piano).  I am regularly surprised how much improvement it brings.  It is irrelevant in a minimum phase system as the group delay from other causes overwhelms any attempt to fix it.  But when you get linear phase from each drive unit in a system, especially one whose drivers are spread across a few feet of baffle height, it puts a surprisingly large cherry on the cake...

Phil.

Super Wammer
30 minutes ago, Philbo said:

Time of flight should be reasonably obvious on any plucked or struck string (guitar or piano).  I am regularly surprised how much improvement it brings.  It is irrelevant in a minimum phase system as the group delay from other causes overwhelms any attempt to fix it.  But when you get linear phase from each drive unit in a system, especially one whose drivers are spread across a few feet of baffle height, it puts a surprisingly large cherry on the cake...

Phil.

This is exactly what I found and my drivers are spread across a decent distance. It wasn't just stings for me, it seemed to have a positive knock on effect on most things. In fact, I was so impressed, I addressed a rather nice complementary note to you guys in my thread but it didn't even get so much as a comment.

yours sincerely
Butt Hurt

:rofl:

Super Wammer

Ill emphasise, not audible to me, on my current setup. It seems to me with the tools to set time of flight available, it just makes sense to do it. 

Its only something I have messed with on my big speakers, but the mid/horn is pretty close anyway (I struggled to measure it) and at a 1.2khz crossover where the wavelength is about a foot so perhaps that's why its not so vital. 

Its something I will mess with on a more "normal" speaker once I CNC some Corian and plywood :D