Dvddvd

Confused ? Spotify vs CD

7 minutes ago, George 47 said:

There can't be Serge as they measure the same....O.o

They won't necessarily measure the same, in fact, I'd be astounded if they did. However, that doesn't matter as once transparency is reached, any differences are inaudible, unless of course the 'better' one isn't transparent.

Anyway, why the apparent obsession with equipment differences. What happened to just enjoying the music?  

S.

Super Wammer
10 minutes ago, SergeAuckland said:

They won't necessarily measure the same, in fact, I'd be astounded if they did. However, that doesn't matter as once transparency is reached, any differences are inaudible, unless of course the 'better' one isn't transparent.

Anyway, why the apparent obsession with equipment differences. What happened to just enjoying the music?  

S.

Because with very few exceptions, we are boys, and most of us like playing with our toys :)

22 minutes ago, SergeAuckland said:

Even if there is a difference, which one's right? 

A constant listening for equipment differences rather than just enjoying the music is where madness lies, I think.

S.

The one you like the sound of. 

As mad as measuring equipment rather than just listening and saying "That sounds nice"??

4 minutes ago, gizze said:

The one you like the sound of. 

As mad as measuring equipment rather than just listening and saying "That sounds nice"??

The problem with saying 'That sounds nice' is the creeping feeling that something else might sound nicer.....

Once you've measured something and are happy it's OK, you know that anything else won't BE any better, so you stop thinking about the kit, and just enjoy the music.

S. 

That's fair enough. 

I don't actually go chasing 'upgrades' but I know what type of sound I 'don't' like. Now that may measure really well, but I still can't make myself like it just because it measures right. Where as I know you like it because it measures right, which is cool. 

Haven't read all six pages, but has anyone said "buy the album on vinyl" yet? If not, then I just have; if someone has, then I agree with them!

:D

Edited by Beobloke

Super Wammer
On 07/05/2017 at 22:09, Dvddvd said:

I have been listening to the new Imelda May Album on Spotify premium.

i was in town today so bought the CD version of the album.

I ripped it to my hard drive on my Cocktail x100 and played it through my Audiolab M DAC into my HI FI

It sounded good so I played the Spotify version 10 seconds behind the CD version and using the Audiolab M DAC remote kept changing the Input from opt 1 ( Spotify) to opt 2 (Cocktail audio hard drive)  on the Audiolab M DAC.

I was playing the track "Black Tears".

I was shocked that I could not tell any difference, the bass was not deeper, the treble was just the same?

i played 10 secs of one version, pressed the button on the Audiolab M Dac remote and by then it played the same part of the other version due to the slight different starting time.

i also randomly pressed the remote and tried to guess which version I was on but they both sounded exactly the same ? 

So whys this?

Am I deaf ?

Has Spotify got better?

Is the album not recorded very good? It's not a demo recording (I did think with Jeff Beck on one track it would sound better)

So I did wonder why I've spent £10 on the  CD version ?

I must admit vinyl recording do sound a lot better than CD recordings on my system, but that's another argument.

I haven't read all six pages either but...

(1)... when you refer to "the CD version", am I right in understanding that you're not playing the silver disc but are playing the version you ripped?

(2) If so, you don't say what format you ripped it in: please confirm.

Thanks.

I can clearly hear the difference between standard MP3/AAC and normal CD. A mate of mine comes to dinner every 6-12 months and used to bring copies of CD's he liked - and would leave them with me. Last time he visited, I put one on to impress him with my new (at the time) ProAc D30's and no-one was wowed. It was only when he had left that I realised he had mentioned he subscribed to Spotify Premium and so had cut the discs from there. I'm not sure if he even knows there is a hi-res button you can press to get the 320 kbps OV (which is so much more of an improvement than 320 vs 128 should be) so I suspect he had cut 128kbps discs.

Super Wammer
2 minutes ago, TurnItUp said:

and to think theres some folk who claim that FLAC rips dont sound as good as the physical CD...

Funny that, because I think the opposite.

I believe it was ripped in flac format

Super Wammer
I believe it was ripped in flac format

Why "believe"? Any chance you can check your standard import/rip settings for our shared enlightenment?

If it is FLAC then it is, IMHO, "CD quality". I'm not surprised the Spotify version is acceptable or even close, but I'm surprised you can't hear a difference.

4 hours ago, Beobloke said:

Haven't read all six pages, but has anyone said "buy the album on vinyl" yet? If not, then I just have; if someone has, then I agree with them!

Might have done, but then it all went Pete Tong

I was at work but checked when I got home. It was ripped in FLAC..

4 hours ago, bigfool1956 said:

Funny that, because I think the opposite.

This is currently the case in my system too. I haven't done the comparison with wav. 

Super Wammer
I was at work but checked when I got home. It was ripped in FLAC..

Well bugger me. That's an expression of surprise, not a personal invitation.

Sit back and enjoy then. And yes, if you can't hear a difference then you could indeed save yourself quite a bit of dosh.