Kegworth Show Information

The information for this year's show is now live at www.thehifishow.com or by clicking on the show banner below.

NON EXHIBITOR ROOMS NOW OPEN - Special Offer....Stay Saturday, join in all the build up excitement on Sat night and then gain FREE access to the show on Sunday

LAST MINUTE WAM HIFI SHOW AVAILABILITY - ONLY A FEW EXHIBITOR ROOMS LEFT - ONLY 5 SLEEP ONLY ROOMS LEFT - ONLY 3 BIG SYSTEM SPACES LEFT

Brumjam

Frugal Horn XL Build

The MAOP drivers are really impressing me with only a few hours on them.  They're  a better driver in every regard compared to the regular Alpair 10 driver.  I've not heard the metal drivers in my room, so maybe they're closer to the MAOP's than the P version.

Cool, good to hear you're enjoying the new drivers, it's hard to describe the differences in sound between them, out of the three sets I have (M/P/MAOP) I would say the MAOP sound the most natural, they'll be staying in the XL's for good now, I don't know what I'm going to do with the other drivers, maybe explore some small cabinets for late night listening.  

Regarding the tweeter position, putting the tweeter below the main driver would solve the issue of a separate housing, plus look a lot neater, but then you'll lose the experimentation side of things, something to consider.

I'm thinking of using no housing now, just a simple thin plate with the tweeter glued directly onto it, and putting the cap at the amp output so as not to clutter the top of the speaker.      

Glad you are enjoying them. I've managed to get hold of 2 more pairs as well so hopefully a couple more customer can get the benefits.

Stefan

That's interesting, where did you order them from? I should be the only UK place you can get them.

Stefan

They are however constrained in both Bass AND highs  to be perfectly honest.  Ugly frugal boxes help.. some.. in bass but not with highs.

You need to experiment with room positioning and stuffing a little to get the bass right in your room. Ideally the cabinets should be back in the corners of the room and you should be listening at least 10 degrees off axis for the flattest response ( I normally cross them in front of me). Remove some of your stuffing. You'll find that less gives a deeper bass and more gives a tighter bass. They might lose a little bit in the bass compared to a dedicated bass driver but you should be able to achieve 35-40Hz in room no problem. Some do use a helper tweeter but IMHO that just messes up the cohesiveness of the speaker.

Super Wammer

so these delightful speakers are at hifinutt towers on tour at the moment . certainly nice bass with san saans organ no 3 . very acceptable indeed . just settling them in and will report 

25792433008_7abc05a838_z.jpgP1050211 by , on Flickr

38767395665_2c2528a6fd_z.jpgP1050212 by , on Flickr

the oak speakers are proac studio 125

Edited by hifinutt

Super Wammer

so I think I am right in thinking I have the alpair drivers in these , not the maop ? anyway today someone came to buy the proac and we briefly compared the two . the proac 125 is a most amazing speaker for the money and is slightly more full bloodied than the horns . big bouncy sound from them with more forgiveness for bad recordings

started off listening to these with just black ravioli underneath but have now changed to iso pucks and really toed them in as suggested so they cross in front of listening position

they have an amazing crystalline sound with linear sound , i.e no emphasis on bass or midrange . listening to larry norman ` watch what you are doing `

it can be a tad sharp on some aspects as an old recording and that's the case with the horns but the proac smooth it out more . 

using the horns with some of California `s finest class A watts and a valve pre [modwright] the horns sound pretty bassy and drums are very delicate and real . lovely separation of instruments and very engaging sound . continuing to assess these speakers which I must say have exceeded all my expectations by a fair old way

listening some 4 times to Katie melua`s album in winter the female vocalists are very real and entrancing . this album was recorded in a makeshift studio in Georgia with the Ukraine's 25 strong Gori womens choir and the first track the little swallow in winter is something special

listening  continues to evaluate these    

Super Wammer

so couple of weeks more with these and remain quite impressed. tried them with an av amp to try and simplify system but it did not last long . rather too much treble in the denon amp . back to the glorious class A amp very fast and its got its non fatiguing sound back that keeps you up late at night.   they certainly do not need a supertweeter in my opinion