Sign in to follow this  
JamieMcC

Sony Blueray

Super Wammer

Hey guys I'm looking to upgrade my blue ray player from a old Sony PS3 which is now getting a bit noisy, I would like to stick with Sony as I have a Sony tv. There are a few models any suggestions which to take a closer look at?

Cheers

Jamie

Admin

Why not the PS4 ?

Super Wammer

Lot of views on the net that the PS4 is not as good as the PS3 for audio and Bluyray playback so its more of a sideways step I dont really need a games console so was thinking a stand alone player might be a better option.

Edited by JamieMcC
  • Upvote 1

I went from a PS3 to the Sony BDP S790 and there was a definite improvement in the sound quality.

On 27/04/2017 at 10:37, JamieMcC said:

Lot of views on the net that the PS4 is not as good as the PS3 for audio and Bluyray playback so its more of a sideways step I dont really need a games console so was thinking a stand alone player might be a better option.

True story. My PS4 pro is a terrible bluray player.

Same here. That's a major letdown for me on that console since I thought I could've save space by using it as a good Bluray player. 

Super Wammer

Depends on your budget and whether you want to future proof, but I recently upgraded to a 4K Sony UBP-X800 player which is generally well reviewed by fellow consumers and it also supports a large number of other formats:

BD-ROM, CD (CD-DA), CD-R / -RW, DVD+R, DVD+R Double Layer, DVD+RW, DVD-Audio, DVD-R, DVD-R Dual Layer, DVD-RW, DVD-Video, SA-CD (SA-CD / CD) Playback, Stereoscopic 3D (profile 5), Ultra HD Blu-ray

I've not watched a dedicated 4K disc yet (I have a 4K release of the original Blade Runner to watch) but when watching David Gilmour Live in Pompeii on Blu-Ray last night, fed into a 4K TV, the picture was stunning.

Super Wammer

Just to add, we bought my mother a lower end Sony Sony BDPS1700B player last Christmas and not only was the integration with her Sony HD TV seamless, the image quality was very good indeed.

The Sony 6700 is a nice player for the lower budget at £130 or so.

The x800 for £300 is very good at that price point.

Further up the range, the x1000, but at £700 ish, you should also consider the Oppo 203, unless you really are definite about ‘only Sony’.