Cable Monkey

M7/M77 Clones

Does anyone have a view on the M7 and M77 clone kits that have sprung up on our favourite auction site recently? In that great Chinese traditional of reverse engineering anything they can get their hands on these have started to appear in numbers. I'll be honest, my interest lies in the fact I have a number of the valves used in these clones. They didn't suit the application I bought them for so I may as well put them to some other use!

Thanks Ian, interesting that it does have the sound signature of its original even without the 'special' bits. I'll see what is in the hifi pot at the end of the month (as well as make progress with my existing builds). I am looking hard at the M7 rather than the M77 Guy built.

Rarely... if Ever... a Free lunch !

As in a Great Unit 'fabrique en Chine' AND sold on Fleabay.

We always get sucked in by unrealistically low prices.  Keeps China going tho.

Those low end rascals even produce Fake Resistors... cuz they are cheaper. than real ones.

Caveat emptor

Edited by danilo

Eyes wide open Danilo, its a bit of fun, not the last pre-amp I'll ever buy!

Judging by Guy's comments, it looks anything but bad. The circuit topology is the important thing, and don't go believing that the Chinese copies are all bad. They frequently are anything but. No, they don't have the highest quality components, but then buy the bare board and populate it. Or go by Guy's example. Buy the board with the basic components and add decent caps and tubes.

It won't be an M77, but it won't be M77 price either. Add most of the foo and you'll still be massively quids in. Resellable? Unlikely. But if you want a good pre for comparatively pocket money and you're build skills are average, go for it.

I might well. And yes, I am well aware of all the half-finished stuff I have. However, this is a quick and easy build.

On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 20:21, Cable Monkey said:

Eyes wide open Danilo, its a bit of fun, not the last pre-amp I'll ever buy!

this might be tho :D!!

https://www.wintersaudio.co.uk/ex-demo-part-exchange

Does anyone have a view on the M7 and M77 clone kits that have sprung up on our favourite auction site recently? In that great Chinese traditional of reverse engineering anything they can get their hands on these have started to appear in numbers. I'll be honest, my interest lies in the fact I have a number of the valves used in these clones. They didn't suit the application I bought them for so I may as well put them to some other use!

As a Chinese, I got a chance to listen to one version of the M7 clone. Sounds quite good, since the M7 is simple in circuit with components easy to find. However, you won't expect it perform in the same level as the original one. After all, perfect clone is impossible especially in build quality, materials and mechanical designs such as vibration control. Actually I don't think it will be better than a EAR Yoshino entry level preamp in balance, relaxation and musicality aspects, fine tuning is always a mission impossible to the Chinese cloners. It happened repeatedly to the clones of FM Acoustics, Burmester, Goldmund, Mark Levinson, Mbl...

从我的 iPhone 发送,使用 Tapatalk Pro

OK, so I was looking into this project because I might have had suitable valves. Checked my stash and they were the right ones. Uninspiring in my Tron phono stage but it was never designed with them in mind so no worries there. But when I purchased them from a kindly Wammer (I forget who, old age!) he offered me all eight that he had at a good discount over the two I wanted. I have just seen what these go for on eBay! :o 

Anyway, the electronics are ordered. I will eventually put it all in a custom case if it warrants it but that will be another thread. All bought locally (Europe) so I should have a temporary lash up in a week or two. :)

On 03/05/2017 at 12:30, Cable Monkey said:

OK, so I was looking into this project because I might have had suitable valves. Checked my stash and they were the right ones. Uninspiring in my Tron phono stage but it was never designed with them in mind so no worries there. But when I purchased them from a kindly Wammer (I forget who, old age!) he offered me all eight that he had at a good discount over the two I wanted. I have just seen what these go for on eBay! :o 

Anyway, the electronics are ordered. I will eventually put it all in a custom case if it warrants it but that will be another thread. All bought locally (Europe) so I should have a temporary lash up in a week or two. :)

Hi Cable Monkey,

Did anything come out of your attempt at building the M-77?

Hi, I built it and had it assembled in breadboard fashion. It never progressed beyond that stage because I got distracted! It failed to ‘captivate’ me. I might have another crack at it at some point. The aim will be to compare and contrast something modern and accurate with a classic combo, perhaps for a future Kegworth.

I ordered the Kondo M77 PCB board from ebay which is advertised to be the M77 albeit with lesser quality components.

Thought it might be fun to have a crack at it. The genuine M77 uses a choke in the PS which is not included in the knock off. I wish someone had the real schematic for this pre.

I am not sure if the value of the choke is critical, but AudioNote UK do chokes. That is where I sourced mine.