oldius

SALE Kef Reference 104.2 - Serviced and excellent

Super Wammer

Hope my lounge will fit them 1 foot from rear wall and 2 foot from corners could be a bit of a push but lookinG foward to trying them maybe on the look out for a better amp !! 👍👍👍

One of my all-time favourite loudspeakers. Try and locate a KEF KUBE for the 104.2 as that makes a significant difference to to bass end, and allows better room-matching. It requires a bit more amplifier power as the KUBE bass EQ eats into headroom, but the results are worth it. With the 104.2's sensitivity, and a decent 100W + amplifier, headroom is less of an issue.

S

The kube works best with the biwire version biamped on the bass amp so you don't get a loss of transparency in the mid and treble. I've got a 104.2 kube but it's missing the PSU, I've seen a diagram of how to wire up a walwart to the din type DC input of the kube.

Sent from my NEM-L51 using Tapatalk

I have a Kube for mine, they go for £100+ on eBay so be prepared to pay dearly for one.

And as said above they do require extra umphh to work well.

Super Wammer

Thanks guys maybe time to trade in my musical fadelty b200 would it sell on here ?  Few paint chips un touched by me ?

Super Wammer

Thanks surge chat soon re t t phono leads 👍👍👌

I have the Kube. Yours for a ton.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Super Wammer

Best not don't think my lounge could take it !!!!  But maybe could have a listen with it on bard when I call upnto collect spekers from you ? 

Edited by terryg1

1 hour ago, terryg1 said:

Best not don't think my lounge could take it !!!! 

One of the benefits of the KUBE is that you can tune the bass to best match your room. It's not just about extension, but the KUBE provides room tuning in terms of frequency extension and bass EQ. I personally wouldn't use a 104.2 without one as I found the benefits very real. The only alternative I found, almost as good, is to use a Quad 44 pre-amp and use the bass EQ and slope controls to achieve much the same thing, but the KUBE has been designed specifically for the 104.2, so is the preferred solution.

S.

Wonderful speakers and an absolute bloody bargain, well done.

I took my Kube out, ran them straight.

Preferred the sound.

May still have it in a box in the loft.......I'll go looking.......

Super Wammer

Ok thanks surge for the input !! Think it's like a passive eq ? 

Edited by terryg1

Super Wammer

Thank pure carbon 👍👍

22 minutes ago, terryg1 said:

Ok thanks surge for the input !! Think it's like a passive eq ? 

It's not passive, it's an active equaliser for the bass end. The KUBE for the 107 also had mid and HF EQ, which is why it wasn't optional on the 107. 

It was originally conceived as the KEF Universal Bass Equaliser, that would be applicable to any loudspeaker, but it never caught on, as in the mid 1980s, active EQ was not understood, and equated with tone controls, which were by then out of fashion.

S.

Super Wammer

Thanks surge Auckland thinking of trying with out see how I get on 

Super Wammer

Have to say I found the KUBE difficult to live with and could never find a happy setting for the contours. 

Of course that was in a different room with a different set-up. Might be tempted to try again, but I think you're as well to run the speakers on their own and see what you think about the bass in the overall presentation.