wHIZZY

Do you find digital cables sound different

3 hours ago, Fourlegs said:

Well the non foo answer is to let you know which end of the cable sheathing is earthed so you can put it at the source end of the cable.

2 hours ago, greybeard said:

Normally one end is earthed, usually the source end hence the arrows so you know which end,

Well I've learned summat , off check all my arrows , hold on , does the arrow point at the source or away from it m1727.gif

Super Wammer

I haven't noticed a difference between digital cables and I have quite a few. For me that means if there is a difference it is very small otherwise I would have noticed.

I did a careful compare of interconnects and speaker cables about 20 years ago too and only the MIT and Goldmund cables with in line filters sounded different to me, all the other cables were the same. My daughter did the changes so I wasn't aware of which cable was which, and the volume control was not touched between changes.

1 hour ago, wHIZZY said:

As an engineer I accept current theory states this should not be the case and respect those who think I must be mistaken. ..........

As an engineer you would, I presume, normally design a proper experiment, with measured results under controlled conditions. It would, I believe, be particularly important to eliminate cognitive bias.

Anything else is no different from someone who is convinced that they feel better after homeopathy.

Sorry if that sounds harsh.

Super Wammer
24 minutes ago, Bazzer said:

Well I've learned summat , off check all my arrows , hold on , does the arrow point at the source or away from it m1727.gif

I'm assuming you are joking  :geek:

39 minutes ago, greybeard said:

I'm assuming you are joking  :geek:

:D , although I am a Twit  http://hifiwigwam.com/forum/topic/124459-what-kind-of-idiot-are-you/

Well I’ve visited the audiologist and they tell me my hearing is fine. So I guess the next step is the psychologist. Only problem is they are too busy with gentlemen who think changing little glass bottles in their amplifiers with other little glass bottles will improve their musical enjoyment. It would seem these poor unfortunate people don’t realise just how ill they are and actually spend years searching for the very oldest, rarest and most expensive little glass bottles, apparently these are the best.  Hard to believe isn’t it. Whatever next, wouldn’t even be surprised if some nutter suggested that cables could make a difference.

Offer remains open, come and listen for yourself.

6 minutes ago, wHIZZY said:

Well I’ve visited the audiologist and they tell me my hearing is fine. So I guess the next step is the psychologist. Only problem is they are too busy with gentlemen who think changing little glass bottles in their amplifiers with other little glass bottles will improve their musical enjoyment. It would seem these poor unfortunate people don’t realise just how ill they are and actually spend years searching for the very oldest, rarest and most expensive little glass bottles, apparently these are the best.  Hard to believe isn’t it. Whatever next, wouldn’t even be surprised if some nutter suggested that cables could make a difference.

Offer remains open, come and listen for yourself.

I would do so, but would turn it the other way around. I'm too far away, but I suggest you get someone to come round and swap cables unknown to you and then tell us you hear the same differences.

I won't get dragged into the debate, but empirical evidence suggests different valves can make a difference. Despite all the stuff about cables, and the massive industry surrounding this, does it not seem strange that not, one, single study has yet been published with any evidence to support the 'it makes a difference' theory?

Super Wammer
42 minutes ago, Bazzer said:

I was only a blithering idiot :nuts:

17 hours ago, wHIZZY said:

A very long time ago I learnt that analogue interconnects can have a huge influence on what I hear out of my speakers and that a system can be transformed by using interconnects that have synergy with the other systems components.

Well in the last few week I have been amazed to find that digital interconnects can also have a huge impact on what I hear. Yes I know the mantra - 1s are 1s and 0s are 0s. All I know is after recently playing around with digital cables I can hear a massive impact on the sound balance, particularly with digital RCA cables.  The changes are not subtle  but represent a huge difference in sound balance and I wonder if others have found the same.

Do your cables have the same RCA connectors as most/all are not true 75ohm unlike BNC?

Super Wammer

I'm most disappointed that no-one has mentioned....Carbon cables

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Gizza said:

They have now 

29 minutes ago, ijrussell said:

Do your cables have the same RCA connectors as most/all are not true 75ohm unlike BNC?

Not all BNC's are 75 ohm

6 minutes ago, mr.me said:

Not all BNC's are 75 ohm

I know that there are 50ohm BNC cables around but I thought that all hifi BNC was 75ohms as per the S/PDIF standard.

Admin
40 minutes ago, Gizza said:

Do they make a difference Gary ? Has anyone run a test ?   :D

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, mr.me said:

Not all BNC's are 75 ohm

But they are the impedance they are supposed to be. Either 75 or 50 ohm. While you can get the right impedance cable for RCA, the connectors themselves can never be true 75 ohm. It was interesting that the OP stated where he heard the most difference. It was in the type of cables/connectors that can't be the impedance they are supposed to be, and where shiny bright bling will score higher than a cable that attempts to get close to 75 ohms.