orbscure

Record shops & Record Fairs in London and the South East

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)

Vinyl boutique Records we are downstairs, underneath Sounds That Swing records - 88 Parkway Camden Town London NW1 7AN

This is worth a visit, and you may well meet Boz Boorer,  Morriseys musical director, and guitarist, as he and his wife run it, only open Thurs-Sun 12-6pm

Edited by greybeard
  • Upvote 1

Super Wammer

Thanks Colin... added to my list :) 

• Like 1

On 25 August 2019 at 09:55, Bignose5 said:

Is there a reason why you don't take pictures inside the shops ?

I will ask again the above question?

You use stock Internet outside shop pictures but nothing that proves you have been inside any of them ??

Great little series of write-ups Pete,  you don’t need to prove to me you went to each of these places!

Good heads up on the Spitalfields record fair that I assume is still running. I work nearby so will start to make that a regular Friday visit.

• Like 1

Super Wammer

I’m writing this stood outside Sounds the Swing in Camden, so I’m glad that they’re of help and interest... they are only a bit of fun and not meant to be taken seriously... if they get members out of their bums and in spending cash expanding their collections, it’s mission accomplished! 😄

• Like 1

On 25/08/2019 at 09:55, Bignose5 said:

Is there a reason why you don't take pictures inside the shops ?

Selfie with the Manager or it isn't happening... :D

14 minutes ago, orbscure said:

I’m writing this stood outside Sounds the Swing in Camden, so I’m glad that they’re of help and interest... they are only a bit of fun and not meant to be taken seriously... if they get members out of their bums and in spending cash expanding their collections, it’s mission accomplished! 😄

Thanks Pete, although i'm not in to vinyl presently, your thread has been very useful as there are plenty of shops out there that still seem to trade CD's which I'll look at... Always looking for good trades.

Thanks for the posts, heading out slightly more S.E than Beckenham, or sticking to zone 6 as your limit?

Super Wammer
33 minutes ago, orbscure said:

Is Boz there?? Or his wife Lyn?

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, parcelmonkey said:

Thanks Pete, although i'm not in to vinyl presently, your thread has been very useful as there are plenty of shops out there that still seem to trade CD's which I'll look at... Always looking for good trades.

Thanks for the posts, heading out slightly more S.E than Beckenham, or sticking to zone 6 as your limit?

Glad their of use Ade and I too am more interested in cheap CD's at the mo :) For the time being I'm sticking to Zones 1 to 6, but if I find myself further afield, I'll always try and check out whats about...

3 hours ago, greybeard said:

Is Boz there?? Or his wife Lyn?

It wasn't open Colin... but I plan to pop along again now that I know where it is...

Edited by orbscure

Super Wammer

As I eluded to in my previous post, I ventured back into London today to take in Vinyl Boutique Records and Sounds That Swing Records, both in Camden Town. Unfortunately, Vinyl Boutique Records wasn't open, but I'll be heading back there again in the not too distant future... in the meantime, using all my own images (as has always been the case):

Sounds That Swing Records
Address: 88 Parkway Camden Town London NW1 7AN
Discogs: n/a

791912985_2019-08-3012_43_40.thumb.jpg.b40db0ed2f4c1063dd738fe6d4b3ed73.jpg

Situated within a short walk from Camden Town tube station, from the outside, this looks rather tatty and tired. Indeed, I walked right past it! But when you enter, I'd imagine that its like stepping back into a 1950's record shop! The stock on offer is very much geared towards music of that era, so there are plenty of Rockabilly, Blues, Rhythm & Blues, Hillbilly & Country Garage Punk, Rock n Roll, Doo Wop, Vocal Groups, Instrumentals & Surf, 60's & 70's Rock & Pop vinyl albums and singles... so you get the gist. Indeed, if my much missed dad were still alive, he'd be in his element. The friendly chap behind the counter even looked like him, right down to the quiff and lumberjack shirt. Unfortunately, I have no expertise with music of this era so cannot comment on the quality or pricing of the stock. 

If your into this type of music, the bonus is that you can take along the better half and leave her to peruse the shops in the local area, which is also a very popular tourist destination, so be prepared for large crowds, especially at the tune station.

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, orbscure said:

Glad their of use Ade and I too am more interested in cheap CD's at the mo :) For the time being I'm sticking to Zones 1 to 6, but if I find myself further afield, I'll always try and check out whats about...

It wasn't open Colin... but I plan to pop along again now that I know where it is...

It only opens between 12-6pm Thurs-Sun

I know Boz has today gone a tour, not back till November.

Edited by greybeard

Super Wammer

Yep, I see that now Colin... best laid plans and all that. Still, it gives me another opportunity to travel up and visit Alans Records in East Finchley again :) 

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)

Heads up... there is a record fair in Orpington tomorrow... 

York Rise Crofton Road, Orpington, BR6 8PR

https://www.ukvinylvault.co.uk/record-fairs
https://www.facebook.com/Orpington-Record-Fair-425175124189150/

Edited by orbscure

Super Wammer

Just back from the Orpington Record Fair and mighty impressive it was too. Plenty of stalls, not too busy and boxes and boxes of nice cheap vinyl. 

101925237_2019-09-0110_48_54.thumb.jpg.ffd67f47986a22136a6d7f514b1b44e9.jpg

Definitely one to keep an eye on... and recommended :)