Soundsinheaven

Gato Audio Owners Club

1 hour ago, whitehart said:

@Cno, looking forward to your thoughts on your new Gato, is it a home demo, or have you bought it?

Mac

Mac, I have bought it from Elite Audio. It was as "Open Box" and is virtually new and at an amazing price. They have given me a decent period, in which I can send it back and get a full credit against something else - and they sell Luxman.

You can't say fairer than that.

Lyric are coming out on Thursday. They are bringing a Linn Akurate DS/Katalyst and setting the whole thing up in a bigger room.

• Like 2

On ‎27‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 10:02, CnoEvil said:

Mac, I have bought it from Elite Audio. It was as "Open Box" and is virtually new and at an amazing price. They have given me a decent period, in which I can send it back and get a full credit against something else - and they sell Luxman.

You can't say fairer than that.

Lyric are coming out on Thursday. They are bringing a Linn Akurate DS/Katalyst and setting the whole thing up in a bigger room.

Elite also own Audio Emotion Mark runs one and Gary the other... very good guys to deal with

Please say hello to Michael from Lyric for me.

Mac

Posted (edited)

Image result for orthopaedic pillow images

My Gato, "orthopaedic pillow shaped" amp, is finally connected up. Will it put me to sleep, or invigorate the Soul?

My 2 Channel system is now in a bigger, more appropriate room, which gives the big Harbies more room to breathe. It is also less damped, having more windows (no curtains atm) and a wooden floor with a rug (as opposed to Underlay/Carpet/Rug/Curtains).

Source is a freshly Katalysed Akurate DS (so probably needs to warm up for a while). Amp looks as if it's brand new (so may also need to run for a while). Speakers are the 40.2s, sitting on Something Solid Stands and Missing Link feet.

If I can get my Tech Support activated....I hope to post some pictures.

My elderly MA 852MD have been drafted in for FR and FL duties.....and rather good they sound. It's a long time since I listened to a sealed speaker.

My Kef Ref 209 Sub is back.....but the whole EQ board had to be deactiviated...so it's just the Power Amp board working....so all EQ and volume changes have to be done through the AVR600. Even like this, it still sounds better than a lot of Subs. It has a Frequency Response of 15Hz - 250Hz and Bass Extension of 12 Hz (-6dB).

So, what about the sound? Too early to tell, with such new components....but early signs are encouraging.

To be continued....

Edited by CnoEvil

Super Wammer

@CnoEvil those high ceilings make everything seem so much more elegant!  Hoping you’ll be able to give some initial impressions soon. 

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Nopiano said:

@CnoEvil those high ceilings make everything seem so much more elegant!  Hoping you’ll be able to give some initial impressions soon. 

Remember, it's early days, but here are some initial impressions:

What the Gato is not:

When a sound is hard to describe, sometimes it's easier to start with what it's not:
 - It's not quite the uplifting, ethereal presentation of Valves

- It doesn't quite have the hard hitting speed and Transient Response of a good Class A

- It doesn't have the slightly cold, uninvolving sound that I would normally associate with Class D

So, what is the sound like:

Years ago, when I had an  MG Metro (bear with me here), the engine on tickover rattled like a bag of bolts sitting on a vibration plate. When I added Slick 50 engine treatment, it purred like a cat that had been given a saucer of cream, while getting its belly rubbed. The Gato seems to add the audio equivalent of Slick 50.

It's like the music glides out on a cushion of air, like the puks on those Arcade Table Hockey games you would see on Brighton Peer.
I have heard amps that have more air, that are faster, more exciting and hit harder.....but they were considerably more expensive.

What you seem to get, is a clear, detailed and unagressive sound, that eases out of a silent background, and seems particularly suited to Female vocals. A bit like Harbeth, good recordings sound marvellous and bad recordings are shown up for what they are, without hammering home the deficiencies. 

It's hard to see what I could have spent £2k on that would have met, let alone exceeded, its performance. Would I take the £8.5k Nu Vista 800 that I heard a few weeks ago over it? - Absolutely. Would I take the £5.5k NV600 over it? - Almost certainly....but with a 2k budget, there is imo little better, if buying ex-dem.

Edited by CnoEvil
  • Like 2

Super Wammer

It’s a shame we live so far apart as it would fascinating to see how much the Gato and my Primare have in common, sound-wise.  I struggle a bit to describe mine, because it is pretty much character-free, which is what an amplifier should be - but often isn’t!  

Just as you say, there are others that have more of something, but that may not necessarily be what is wanted!  You are also acclimatising to listening in the new room, as well as letting everything run in, warm up, or whatever. 

6 minutes ago, Nopiano said:

It’s a shame we live so far apart as it would fascinating to see how much the Gato and my Primare have in common, sound-wise.  I struggle a bit to describe mine, because it is pretty much character-free, which is what an amplifier should be - but often isn’t!  

Just as you say, there are others that have more of something, but that may not necessarily be what is wanted!  You are also acclimatising to listening in the new room, as well as letting everything run in, warm up, or whatever. 

I’ve just spent two weeks in your neck of the woods. Frustrating to think that I’ve got one in a box that you could have played with while I was down there. 

Super Wammer
10 minutes ago, jobseeker said:

I’ve just spent two weeks in your neck of the woods. Frustrating to think that I’ve got one in a box that you could have played with while I was down there. 

That’s a kind thought.  Let us know next time you’re anywhere near the Brecon Beacons National Park!

10 hours ago, Nopiano said:

I will give more feedback over time.

As you say, there have been a lot of changes, including a huge upgrade in Source and different Speaker Cables (Linn K200). Both Amp and DS are now sitting on Auralex Grammas

3 hours ago, CnoEvil said:

I will give more feedback over time.

As you say, there have been a lot of changes, including a huge upgrade in Source and different Speaker Cables (Linn K200). Both Amp and DS are now sitting on Auralex Grammas

You’re right Cno, Give it more time before making judgement as almost everything is new for you to really appreciate (speakers/amp/source) and mostly your system new environment. I bet those Harbs will sound definitely better as there’s not much compromise on placement compare to the previous room.

Enjoy!:rockin:

• Like 2