Professor

Many Thanks To All The 2017 Independent Exhibitors But........

Cool.

I am working on 2019 already.

• Upvote 2

Super Wammer

we always had dealers i.e stamford audio selling records , missing link selling cables . and others . makes it so intersting to have a mix . it was great to see elite audio and others there and it added to the tremendous atmosphere and flavour of the show . 

its good also for them to meet many of their customers who they talk to on the wam face to face 

• Upvote 2

Super Wammer

Professor, you have obviously been to Scalford before, and enjoyed it. Why did you not post positive comments then, why only negative comments now, and as a first post.

I was an exhibitor who had a modest system, and I know I was not alone, so that argument is not valid.

I find it sad that some people are so negative about the show, that was so obviously enjoyed by the majority of visitors, and I think I can safely say all the exhibitors.

Please come and exhibit next year, and find out what it is really about.

• Upvote 5

On 21/03/2017 at 15:37, Professor said:

Many sincere thanks to all this year's independent exhibitors.  I am sure that I am not alone in appreciating the time and effort required to disassemble and reassemble your kit (at least twice) so that we can have a great Sunday out in March.   The following is no reflection on you.

I for one was surprised by the changes this year.  First, I could not get my £12 ticket on-line before the show.  Tickets were available at the door so why not on-line?  I applied for my ticket slightly earlier this year than I did last year (when I bought on-line, successfully) but all I got was 'tickets no longer available on-line'.  So that upped the ticket price to £15 (at the door).  Then I find that the 2017 Show Guide was mandatory if you had used the Park & Ride so that you could get the coach back to your car.  Another £5 each, bringing the total to £20.  Where I live, Park & Ride applies per vehicle, not per person.   Last year the price of the Park & Ride was included for a more realistic price of £12. 

Next was the number of independent exhibitors, down from 51 in 2016 (according to the 2016 brochure) to 37 in 2017 (according to the 2017 brochure).  Some of the more quirky exhibitors, some of whom have amazed us with what is possible for a few hundred quid or what to do with BBC surplus reel to reels and so on, did not attend.

Also, there seemed to be more retailers this year and a more corporate feel seemed to have crept in.  I can’t quite put my finger on why I had that impression so I assume that it was not one thing but several subtle changes that collectively gave this impression.  In the past there was an impression that the HiFi WigWam Exhibition was a collective of enthusiast, some quirky, some serious and others curious.  Call me old fashioned but overall I felt that the experience this year had diminished from that of previous years.

So, an increase of 67% in costs and a reduction of 27% in independent exhibitors and a less “hobbyist” like atmosphere left us somewhat deflated. We have been coming for the last seven years and, until this year, thoroughly enjoyed it.  As we left, my companion and I both expressed a feeling of disappointment with the show this year and wondered whether we would return for the next one.

I wish to stress again that this is not a reflection on the exhibitors themselves but more about the organisers (with all due respect) and their vision of what HiFi WigWam is.  Of those independent exhibitors that went to all the trouble that I alluded to earlier, I thank you.

First post post of the year. You no be havin a sale? :)

Edited by TIU

for our 4th year visiting it was a great show..... so good were the exhibitors we (for the first time) didn't manage to get round all the rooms, and all apart from one we enjoyed.  The organisation was great, the touch of commerce worked well (and if you'd looked carefully enough last year you'd have seen dealers).  Our visit to, Scalford (we didn't exhibit AMD didn't stay at Scalford as the Mrs prefers something more comfortable) for two nights, inc DB&B, tickets, food etc  cost me about £500.......still worth every penny for the show.....

how can you quibble about the park and ride, that leaves everyone safe, comfortably transported to and from, and legally parked...... for fiver PP? good value in my book £2.50 PP each way, including a show guide.....

• Upvote 2

On 21/03/2017 at 15:37, Professor said:

Many sincere thanks to all this year's independent exhibitors.  I am sure that I am not alone in appreciating the time and effort required to disassemble and reassemble your kit (at least twice) so that we can have a great Sunday out in March.   The following is no reflection on you.

I for one was surprised by the changes this year.  First, I could not get my £12 ticket on-line before the show.  Tickets were available at the door so why not on-line?  I applied for my ticket slightly earlier this year than I did last year (when I bought on-line, successfully) but all I got was 'tickets no longer available on-line'.  So that upped the ticket price to £15 (at the door).  Then I find that the 2017 Show Guide was mandatory if you had used the Park & Ride so that you could get the coach back to your car.  Another £5 each, bringing the total to £20.  Where I live, Park & Ride applies per vehicle, not per person.   Last year the price of the Park & Ride was included for a more realistic price of £12. 

Next was the number of independent exhibitors, down from 51 in 2016 (according to the 2016 brochure) to 37 in 2017 (according to the 2017 brochure).  Some of the more quirky exhibitors, some of whom have amazed us with what is possible for a few hundred quid or what to do with BBC surplus reel to reels and so on, did not attend.

Also, there seemed to be more retailers this year and a more corporate feel seemed to have crept in.  I can’t quite put my finger on why I had that impression so I assume that it was not one thing but several subtle changes that collectively gave this impression.  In the past there was an impression that the HiFi WigWam Exhibition was a collective of enthusiast, some quirky, some serious and others curious.  Call me old fashioned but overall I felt that the experience this year had diminished from that of previous years.

So, an increase of 67% in costs and a reduction of 27% in independent exhibitors and a less “hobbyist” like atmosphere left us somewhat deflated. We have been coming for the last seven years and, until this year, thoroughly enjoyed it.  As we left, my companion and I both expressed a feeling of disappointment with the show this year and wondered whether we would return for the next one.

I wish to stress again that this is not a reflection on the exhibitors themselves but more about the organisers (with all due respect) and their vision of what HiFi WigWam is.  Of those independent exhibitors that went to all the trouble that I alluded to earlier, I thank you.

Its your show. It's a show for enthusiasts by enthusiasts. Youve come for the last 7 years your clearly an enthusiast, you should have a go at exhibiting. You may enjoy the show more like that, you have a chance to make the show better as does everyone. Get you name in quick I have a feeling there'll be more next year, and first come first serve ;-):^

Edited by eddie-baby

Super Wammer

I had to miss the last couple of shows due to work. However this year was much better, you had decent parking and not churning up the mud on the approach road. The food and refreshments was well organised along with the bring and buy and raffle.

I bought some vinyl for £2 and a SACD for £8.

I was also introduced to some new music artists playing in the rooms which I then purchased from ebay when I got home.

Well done.

Alan

My first Scalford so I can't comment on how it compared to previous years but I found it a really enjoyable day, and thought the organisation was excellent. 

It was a privilege to hear so much equipment and music, the ticket price was really good value IMHO and the park and ride worked very well - I thought I'd be waiting for ages for the bus when I arrived but it came within minutes. 

As a newcomer I was expecting more trade stands to be honest (selling gear/accessories). The trade demo rooms were just like the rest really, no one was doing a hard sell at all. I really liked that relaxed atmosphere of the whole day.