2018 - 2 Day Public Show?   89 members have voted

1. 1. Q1. Would You Prefer a Two Day Show

• Yes I Would Prefer A Two Day Public Show
    • No Keep It As A One Day Public Show

Admin

After listening to many visitors saying that it's all a bit of a rush getting to see everyone properly, plus exhibitors not being able to view everyone else's systems either I'm asking if a two day show would be preferable.

I have set a poll, please add your comments.

• Upvote 1

Interesting ideas but I think it would be beneficial to split the one day or two day vote from the march or may/june question. SEE ALREADY MADE CHANGE :^

For myself I would find one day setup and two days exhibiting a stretch if a exhibitor and also expensive in terms of accommodation for both visitors and exhibitors. Fancy having another go at exhibiting next year having not done so since I think the third year and would prefer March. I think once you get into May and June people start to have other things to do including holidays, gardens etc so show numbers might actually go down. 

Perhaps compromise is to stick with March, do two days but perhaps have afternoon/evening ticket on the Saturday which is a bit cheaper than the Sunday.  

Edited by flapland
Vote change.

Whilst a two day show sounds nice I can see two big issues. Firstly, it would mean exhibitors having to pay for two nights in the hotel and probably book the Friday off work. Not everyone can or would want to do this. The other issue is that you would need to double the show income to cover costs either by increasing the cost of tickets or by finding a way to get more people to visit the show. 

Admin
13 minutes ago, ijrussell said:

Whilst a two day show sounds nice I can see two big issues. Firstly, it would mean exhibitors having to pay for two nights in the hotel and probably book the Friday off work. Not everyone can or would want to do this. The other issue is that you would need to double the show income to cover costs either by increasing the cost of tickets or by finding a way to get more people to visit the show. 

Hi Ian, thanks for the reply. My job is to make sure the deal works and I can without increasing costs, I even think I can do it by hopefully reducing them. I have had loads of people asking me and thought for the anniversary year it would be worth trying out.

Super Wammer
10 minutes ago, ijrussell said:

Exactly. I've seen what happens when a successful one-day show gets too busy and goes two-day. 

The number of exhibitors drops off, especially the smaller, possible more interesting ones, leaving only the larger more corporate ones that can afford the extra costs.

Visitor numbers may increase slightly, but not anywhere near enough to cover the increased costs. Saturday morning would be very quiet, as a lot of people use Saturday mornings for family stuff, shopping etc and if they came at all on Saturday, it would only be in the afternoon, and then only if they were reasonably local. 

In effects, Scalford is already a two day show (well, one and a half days) as many of us come for the Saturday as well, even if we're not exhibiting, and anyway, a lot of the fun for exhibitors is to listen to other exhibitor's systems, something that's much more difficult to do on the Sunday.

Whether as an exhibitor or visitor, leave it as it is now is my advice.

S.

• Upvote 3

Super Wammer

Basically, if the 'heart' of the show is to remain enthusiasts exhibiting their systems (which is the USP of the Wigwam show) then a two-day event is unlikely to work. For exhibitors, the idea at the moment is rock up on the Saturday, get set up, play some tunes, get wrecked, then do it all again on the Sunday. If you're going to make it a two-day show, then you're going to need to ask people to pay for the pleasure and also take a day off work. And one assumes the 'price' for exhibiting would also rise.

I don't see that as realistic for most people.

• Upvote 1

It is a lovely idea. Just thinking about my individual circumstance, it would be difficult. I'm a teacher so booking a day off is not possible. I would need to leave on the Friday which would mean having the car packed on the Thursday: leaving that value of kit in a car overnight would also be a significant riskarrow-10x10.png.

I guess my difficulties would be shared by several. That doesn't mean we shouldn't do it but we do need to consider the opportunity against the logistical difficulties for exhibitors. 

My suggestion would be to take a vote from existing exhibitors. If the marketing is good, as it will be, I'm sure visitor demand will be there. It's the exhibitor issue that would concern me.

NOTE TO SELF: READ THE OP, THERE'S ALREADY A POLL!

Edited by oldius

I have to admit I am a one day man. Arriving on a Saturday for a leisurely set up followed by the social element is the essence of the week end for many exhibitors. Arriving for same day setup and show is a tough call and I spoke to more than one Wammer (in both case the DIY variety) who had setup issues one of which ran on well beyond midnight on Saturday before he got it resolved. Also if exhibitors can get around a few rooms on Saturday evening it is also good for the social element. If the show grows into 2 days due to wild popularity then of course think again but right now one excellent busy day is good chemistry in my opinion.

Super Wammer

I think a 2 day show would be better from an exhibitor point of view (especially with a larger system) and booking a day or two off work isn't beyond reasonable given plenty of notice.  I'd bring my system along next year for a 2 day show if you wanted me to although it was a physical and emotional roller-coaster bringing it along just for the one day.  

The number of larger rooms and their availability is small compared to the majority of bedroom systems so I guess it's important to get the opinion of the majority.

An option to consider is having the bedroom systems swap over each day for those who can and only want to exhibit on one day.

As stated, the cost is the only real issue but then again - the above option is a way around that.

I'm for one public day, despite never having managed to see everything I'd have liked to during it. My reasons are much the same as Serge's. The informal set-up day can be great too - in quite a few ways even better than the public one. But it's great because it's different from the public day. So to preserve that the whole event would need to turn into a three-dayer. There's also the obvious problem that if you had two public days it would be tough for exhibitors to sleep in their show rooms (beds would have to be moved back in then back out, etc).

The one proviso I would raise is that this poll is likely to be skewed towards the opinions of hardened Wammers. It may miss the views of the ticket-buying 'public'.

VB

Edited by Valvebloke
  • Upvote 1

Super Wammer

I could not attend this year, for a few strange reasons, but having exhibited at a few wam shows, I am in the one day camp. Two days gets pushed after every show, but usually by visitors, not exhibitors. leaving any extra costs aside, having spent Friday night sleeping in a room full of kit, getting up Saturday and doing the show, would be fine, but moving your system out of the way at the end of Saturday, and waiting for the hotel to put your room back together so you can get showered, sorted and ready for whatever is happening Saturday night would be a pain in the arse, never mind having to be up at silly o'clock sunday morning, so the room can be emptied and your system go back where it needs to be.

Super Wammer
4 minutes ago, dudywoxer said:

I could not attend this year, for a few strange reasons, but having exhibited at a few wam shows, I am in the one day camp. Two days gets pushed after every show, but usually by visitors, not exhibitors. leaving any extra costs aside, having spent Friday night sleeping in a room full of kit, getting up Saturday and doing the show, would be fine, but moving your system out of the way at the end of Saturday, and waiting for the hotel to put your room back together so you can get showered, sorted and ready for whatever is happening Saturday night would be a pain in the arse, never mind having to be up at silly o'clock sunday morning, so the room can be emptied and your system go back where it needs to be.

All exhibitors could sleep in sleeping bags in their rooms, or a dormitory in the Butler's Pantry...wouldn't that be cosy!

S.

Super Wammer

I know you have strange idea's, measuring stuff and the like, but that's the daftest yet..

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer
7 minutes ago, dudywoxer said:

That's another point I hadn't even thought of. For the 'sleep in the room you exhibit in' people, it's a nightmare as it is. But a two-day event would mean having to get the hotel to put the bed back in again on the first night (and therefore for a lot of people, having to break down the system again) and then change around again the next moring. Early. Sorry, but I don't see that as viable.

Admin

It may not be what wammers want to give the visitors but on some feedback i had talking to joe public and not members is why don't you have a 2 day show . We are acutely aware of not trying to place anymore financial burden on the exhibitors so i'd trust Peter with that side he does appreciate that concern . For me i think i'm in favour . Our demographic of visitors is highly skewed towards males ( fact ) what if some had other commitments and couldn't make Sunday . Would not the option of two days create may be more attendance . Plus a two day ticket might be preferable for some who struggle to get round and fully appreciate the rooms . I fully take on board what already been said but i think we are strong enough to do this .