mmichbam

That was a great show

Super Wammer

I've written some notes on the 2017 exhibiting experience. It includes the graph of the SPACE room optimisation for those who are interested in just how much attenuation is needed to deal with the room modes at Scalford!

http://audiophilemusings.blogspot.co.uk/2017/03/scalford-2017-adventures-in-space-in.html

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, sunbeamgls said:

I've written some notes on the 2017 exhibiting experience. It includes the graph of the SPACE room optimisation for those who are interested in just how much attenuation is needed to deal with the room modes at Scalford!

http://audiophilemusings.blogspot.co.uk/2017/03/scalford-2017-adventures-in-space-in.html

Fascinating read! Wonderful to see the efforts that went into making your room sound so sweet. I sadly managed only a minute or two in there to appreciate it, but was hugely impressed by what I heard. It was quite daunting being next door to such an amazing setup - the trip from your room to the "slum in 235" (mine haha!) hopefully gave people a chance to forget what they'd just heard in time for my awful first year attempts. I thoroughly plan to take what you've just shared and use it to help me plan a far more optimal setup for 2018.

Great work... and for the few words we managed to exchange in the craziness, great guys too!

I do love the attention to detail. I have to confess, my system was put down and was subject to no alteration. I span some familiar tunes, was happy with what I heard and spent the rest of the time enjoying music. I have the same attitude at home, much to the chagrin of my audiophile brothers.

Rob5ft 19 - Sunbeams room had an easy listen clear balance achieved in a  tacky room similar construct to your own.       Hifi has many aspects and yours had some enjoyable ones too.  Room 'correction' is  not in most homes. Visitors to Scalford may like to hear the type of sound from more 'everyday'  entrant kit ,that they can imagine at their gaff. This variety is an appealing attraction at this particular show.  

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, navigator said:

Rob5ft 19 - Sunbeams room had an easy listen clear balance achieved in a  tacky room similar construct to your own.       Hifi has many aspects and yours had some enjoyable ones too.  Room 'correction' is  not in most homes. Visitors to Scalford may like to hear the type of sound from more 'everyday'  entrant kit ,that they can imagine at their gaff. This variety is an appealing attraction at this particular show.  

Thanks for your kind comments in my room even though I couldn't play your CD!

Super Wammer
12 hours ago, sunbeamgls said:

Very interesting reading and great respect for the hard work you put in to maximise the sound quality. Great to see that it paid off, too.

On ‎20‎-‎3‎-‎2017 at 11:00, Maverick said:

it was, has taken some time to get into training!

2 years ago I hit bed early as my room was for exhibiting, last year was 2am (I blame Rudy, who I missed not being there this year), this year was 3am pushing it a little but someone carried on and he looked like a zombie when the show opened :D

Sunday was the best ever for me, the audience interaction was great this time, and although a massive room it sounded great I think

it is really nice to have room that is easier for those with mobility difficulties to get in, even though upstairs

Unfortunately, had to skip this year. Happy to read not (too) much has changed.

Really missed the fun of listening to tunes, enjoy the malts, 'dissing' the Dire Straits, while at the same time admiring Mark Knopfler because he's a genius, the happy bantering, the lot. Oh, and of course presenting some candy to the visitors.

Hope I can make it in 2018 in some way, before I'll need a visum to get across the pond.

Cheers!

Super Wammer

be good to see you mate if you make it, I did serious damage to a bottle of malt with help from James and a little from Dean, however others led the charge from the front and could easily be identified on Sunday morning :whistle:

Super Wammer

Think this year was my fifth or sixth at Scalford and, yet again, I immensely enjoyed it.

As always a huge thank you to all the exhibitors - I know what a pain / total ball-ache / huge time commitment it is to dismantle a system, drive to middle of nowhere, reassemble, dismantle, drive back, etc ... Your efforts were appreciated.

I really enjoyed the direction the new owners are taking the show in.  Spot on balance between private exhibitors and trade, and great idea to have a bring and buy - hopefully that picks up further in future years.

All rooms were great but the things that got me going back for more -

- Elite Audio - got to love the sound and style of the boenicke speakers

- Looper's lovely KEF concord III

- Sunbeamgls's Linn system - plus a super nice bloke with a tremendous playlist of stellar tracks

-Nav's room.  A comparatively straightforward setup (oldish Marantz CDP, an amp, some big old Spendors), but what a sound.  Loved hearing "Wicked Games" there.

- Oldius for being such a gent and loving Alice Coltrane.

- The epos m5s in eddie-baby's room.

- Beobloke's GLL IMagios.

- The Sony guy's room / collection / museum / shrine / mausoleum to Sony ... - 'nuff said!

- the Linn room - clever demo and great track choices.

- 2ndhandhifi's roster of speakers - fantastic sounds at total extremes of prices.

Cheers,

Steve

Edited by steveeg