hifinutt

what classical music are you listening to now ?

Aurora Orchestra perform HK Gruber's Frankenstein!! and Beethoven's 5th Symphony
https://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/play/m0000d40

p06lj420.jpg

5196XJ19pQL._SS500.jpg

Free download from Naxos for newsletter subscribers.

513uwL4aiHL._SS500.jpg

A really good Naxos release of less-known music.  This is just lovely.

514GRDJMD5L._PJautoripBadge,BottomRight,

512Z9j0bRuL._SS500.jpg

Started with the Divertimento KV563; now Six Preludes and Fugues KV404a.

R-1170014-1302937284.gif.jpg

Hovhanness Symphonies 4, 20, 53, The Prayer of St Gregory, and Return and Rebuild The Devastated Places.

71jIwRBiEYL._SX569_.jpg

24bit d/l flac

On 06/11/2018 at 04:11, bohemian said:

R-1170014-1302937284.gif.jpg

Hovhanness Symphonies 4, 20, 53, The Prayer of St Gregory, and Return and Rebuild The Devastated Places.

How do you find Hovhaness Chris?  I have a couple of the popular symphonies and find they start well.  I love the thick chords but so far I have not been able to listen to a full symphony in one go.  What is your take?

@Andrei  I enjoy Hovhaness' music in small doses, Andrei!  There are times when it seems very "simple" in structure.  I suppose I would describe it as "happy music".  It isn't a regular part of my listening, but sometimes I want to be cheered up, and find his tonal music does the trick.

Having said that, his guitar concertos have grown on me considerably.  The disc above with the wind symphonies is interesting. I remember reading a review of Hovhaness' symphonies wherein the reviewer described Hovhaness, world as one where "it is always Christmas!"  I think that does sum him up.  That can make it a challenge to listen to too.

I have a disc of string quartets by him, which I enjoy very much (string quartets have become my favourite genre recently).

Which symphonies do you have, Andrei?  Have you #50, the Mt St Helens one? His depiction of the eruption is very interesting.  

Edited by bohemian

I've got Exile Symphony, Mysterious Mountain, City of Light, Mt St Helens, and Star Dawn.  I give No 50 a go tomorrow night!  Interested in the guitar Concerto as that is my favourite format.