hifinutt

what classical music are you listening to now ?

Recommended Posts

Super Wammer

can I be cheeky and start another thread on what folks are listening to ?

I know you guys are all more knowledgble than me but I am listening to this

funnily enough listening on my Rienzi speakers !!!

Edited by hifinutt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have just discovered Erwin Schulhoff, a Czech composer, and have been listening to his sonata for cello and piano. One of the composers whose lives were cut short in concentration camps.

71NOcooYGcL._SX522_PJautoripBadge,Bottom

Lovely music.  Must explore his symphonies next.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, hifinutt said:

funnily enough listening on my Rienzi speakers !!!

It is an OMEN.  Does that speaker line all have a Wagner connection?  No problem if it does.  Mind you I would not purchase any speakers called Krall.

Listening to now - well last night, some bits and pieces from Puccini operas Tosca and Turandot.  Also this short snippet from Schubert D.897

Nocturne

It is a one movement trio for piano violin and cello with an exquisite melody.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 6th symphony from this collection.
Dark & powerful.

Image result for vaughan williams symphonies warner

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer

Vivaldi Gloria RRV589  - my usual fave Hogwood-Kir. etc ...

+ random FM BBC R3.

Edited by Chumpy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer
14 hours ago, Andrei said:

It is an OMEN.  Does that speaker line all have a Wagner connection?  No problem if it does.  Mind you I would not purchase any speakers called Krall.

Listening to now - well last night, some bits and pieces from Puccini operas Tosca and Turandot.  Also this short snippet from Schubert D.897

Nocturne

It is a one movement trio for piano violin and cello with an exquisite melody.

mmm they are called Finn , leonore , lohengrin , parsifal, sarastro . i know lohengrin is wagner but not sure of the others 

http://www.verityaudio.com/en/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I reckon most are Wagnerian, although Sarastro is defnitely from The Magic Flute (there may be another on Wagner I am unaware of.). Finn, I don't know.

currently listening to this:

51qgfBE2lQL._SS500.jpg

Edited by bohemian
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer

81Scf4EjukL._SX522_.jpg

Wonderfully depressing...a warning

Edited by Old Git

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer
38 minutes ago, Old Git said:

81Scf4EjukL._SX522_.jpg

Wonderfully depressing...a warning

I can remember driving home from work, listening to classic fm one Saturday morning. They had a top 20  countdown thing. This was at No1, apparently outselling everything else combined. I'd never heard it before, but just had to hear it out, to the extent that I was sat in the drive until it had finished. Totally spellbinding, just had to buy this version that was played...

51KWLbs2PtL._SS500.jpg

14 hours ago, Von Krolock said:

The 6th symphony from this collection.
Dark & powerful.

Image result for vaughan williams symphonies warner

Will check that out :^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/18/2017 at 12:33, Old Git said:

I can remember driving home from work, listening to classic fm one Saturday morning. They had a top 20  countdown thing. This was at No1, apparently outselling everything else combined. I'd never heard it before, but just had to hear it out, to the extent that I was sat in the drive until it had finished. Totally spellbinding, just had to buy this version that was played...

I also first heard it in my car!  I remember wondering if I had heard it before as it sounded familiar.  I concluded it must have been a Strauss song as it bore resemblance to the Vier Letzte Lieder.  No, it was Gorecki.  Now, I have three versions!  Heartrending stuff, don't listen without a box of tissues nearby.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After it almost cleared the room on Sunday at Scalford, today I am mostly not listening to Appalachian Spring.

Partly also because my kit is still unpacked... :(

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last night was listening to this lass on her fiddle.
On vinyl & brilliant.

Image result for kyung wha chung tchaikovsky sibelius

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, batteredhaggis said:

After it almost cleared the room on Sunday at Scalford, today I am mostly not listening to Appalachian Spring.

Partly also because my kit is still unpacked... :(

Were they all Philistines visiting your room?  What wonderful music that is!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, bohemian said:

Were they all Philistines visiting your room?  What wonderful music that is!

Well, most of them were wammers.... so yes, pretty much :)

I put Radio 3 on the kitchen radio this morning and looked at all the boxes still stacked in the living room and thought a long bad thought beginning with F and ending with ebay.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.