SCALFORD DATES ANNOUNCEMENT

CONFIRMED DATES FOR SCALFORD - March 17th & 18th 2018

The Abbot

Alt- folk thread.

12 posts in this topic

I think the folk section is due a bit of an up-to-date injection. Even with the sterling efforts from our folky sussex posh lot (pretty good & rootsy in fact- laura marling etc & remember bbc2's Detectorists theme?) the word folk in UK still conjures up fragile nervous wrecks from far flung islands, beardy balladeers, morris dancing.. & mulligan & o'hare, & is but a fart compared to the US scene.

They embrace folk more probably as it incorporates 'country' which is huge of course, & have lots of great stuff currently. The one show to see (of any) recently for eg was The Handsome Family + Courtney Marie Andrews backing up in Guildford.. & Im v. upset I missed it. Call it alt-folk if you will (actually quite a useful moniker I think).

Here's a taste of both:

And the fabulous Handsome Family..

Abbot.

Not sure will look him up. I was trying to widen the folk genre as it were as this wigwan section seems a bit stuck.

The Giant Of Illinois is my fav HF song! (I love that bit esp).

US music is so vastly much more interesting than anything, its a bit embarrassing thesedays.. this music can be in three camps equally in my book: (alt) folk, country, & independent (indie).

Handsome family excellent....thanks for the heads up!

Super Wammer

Super Wammer

'Folk' as not 'pop' of the people often was great - e.g. Bob-S&G(!!)-Mitchell-Maddy-Steeleye-Tabor-Burland-Rusby etc etc etc etc ...

Including all of the new young not necessarily-Turks ...

We do not like slam rap stuff ...

Edited by Chumpy

Folk is a very varied genre and can run from middle of the road to purist trad. Personally I'm very much into Irish traditional music particularly from Clare. Surprisingly there are different styles of playing from different regions of Ireland and even as a non musician I can recognise these.

Two years ago I heard the young and very talented fiddle player Ryan Young from Scotland (whose playing has a more Irish feel despite the fact that he mostly plays Scottish tunes) and offered him some help as I thought his playing astonishing. Subsequently I helped (a sort of executive producer and croadie rolled into one!) him record his first album with a triple Grammy winning producer from America. Details of the recording process here

This is officially released on the 11th August but you can here some of it now. More info on his website www.ryanyoung.scot

Hope that some of you appreciate what is quite a narrow genre!

Glad we've got a broad range of things going on here! terrific.. keep it coming.

That Damian Rice + whoever the lass is (recognise her) sounds v. similar to a Kathryn Williams song. Id not put KW in her mind.. too twee/ B&Sebastien etc/.. too pale for me.

Tbh Id even consider (proper) Dinosaur Jr folk.. albeit noisy very-metal-folk!

I'd strongly recommend anyone to sit for 15 mins & properly immerse themselves in a new (probably, as likely not known) slant on folk below.. tho this guy's been doing this/ his very own thing in the genre for decades, unassumingly & quietly, but utterly brilliantly:

Super Wammer
10 minutes ago, The Abbot said:

That Damian Rice + whoever the lass is (recognise her) sounds v. similar to a Kathryn Williams song. 

Lisa Hannigan - used to be in DR's band 'till they split a few years ago (relationships complication) but she's much better on her own and will be at the Cambridge folk fest this year