JD68

Recommendations for a record weight with a NA Spacedeck?

Can anyone recommend a weight to use with my Spacedeck? I have never used a weight so want to give it a try but no idea what weight to go for. It needs to be a weight rather a clamp as the spindle is not threaded.

I don't mind waiting a while to buy an expensive one if it is worth it. Are the likes of Oyaide worth paying for over the Project one for example? 

Cheers 

Super Mod

From experience a Michel record clamp, £34 ish. Used it on a Spacedeck & Hyperspace.

Comes with a felt washer that puts a very slight curve on the vinyl & so gives firm contact to your platter. Works on flat/dished/warped records without fail.

Some TT issues are easy & cheap to solve, this is one of those.... because it works.

Image result for michell record clamp

I remember you recommending this to me at Scalford last year, but I thought it was needed a threaded spindle. Will it straight over a straight spindle? 

Super Wammer

Yeah, I use one on a NAS Interspace JR....without felt pad.

Super Mod
12 hours ago, JD68 said:

I remember you recommending this to me at Scalford last year, but I thought it was needed a threaded spindle. Will it straight over a straight spindle? 

A year later....and you've still not taken any notice   :clout:

It will fit a straight spindle. Unlike myles, previous post, I use the felt disc all the time. Gets consistent contact with vinyl every time. You just get into the routine of using it.

Do be careful not to loose the felt disc though...dont know if they do spares!!!! 

Super Wammer

I don't use the felt disc because....I lost it!!

Super Mod
57 minutes ago, myles said:

I don't use the felt disc because....I lost it!!

Manys the time I've had to get the torch out to find mine. I'm sure Michel will do spares as its the felt disc that makes it work.

• Upvote 1

Ha ha, thanks mate. After speaking to someone else I though they were only available as screw on clamps, so I thought you had somehow adjusted your spindle. 

I will get one ordered asap!

The advantages of a weight are two fold - they add mass (where turntables have a flimsy thin lightweight platter) and they hold the disc firm .. however the holding of the disc and its value is questionable as it would have to be very very heavy to flatten warps.

Your spacedeck has a heavy platter so there goes one advantage .. the ideal is a good record clamp which can apply many pounds of force to flatten a warped album but does not add extra unwanted weight to the turntable bearing (if it is a flimsy bearing as well :) ) .. 

My Spacedeck has Kevin's recommended mystic mat and Michell clamp, sounds good so never really tried anything else. 

I user one of these on my Trio L-07D - the heavier one.

http://www.audioconsultants.co.uk/vinyl-replay.html#Harmonic

There again, the Trio was designed to take a weight & a clamp (it goes around the outside edge of the record)

Is suspension and motor of your desk man enough to take the extra weight?

I have the Michel Clamp that works well on a non-threaded spindle.  I also got Steve from Magna Audio to make me a custom jobby from Ebony.  He has a design but he will make to your design too.  In my opinion 200g is sufficient - a bit more is ok too.  It is just to help the interface of the record to the mass of the platter.  Likely a mat will help too.  There is the downside of increasing the friction of the spindle on the thrustpad, but I think the trade-off is worth it.  

I seem to remember reading somewhere that Tom Fletcher didn't recommend using a clamp/weight with his turntables. Anyone come across that? What are the supposed benefits of using a clamp?

19 hours ago, minorrevival said:

I seem to remember reading somewhere that Tom Fletcher didn't recommend using a clamp/weight with his turntables. Anyone come across that? What are the supposed benefits of using a clamp?

Flattening a record and making full contact with the turntable platter .. as for Mr Fletcher not recommending I cannot see why he didn't but hey ho there are loads of opinions out there.  Clamps came as standard on a lot of turntables so I guess their is no right or wrong :)